Prediction Changes v Brizzy in Brizzy (sigh)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he has a bad back that may explain it. If his back is inhibiting him. I don't know. I just know, him not being able to fulfill his role is messing up our preferred match-ups. Cox is having to take over his role which is dragging him out of deeper defence. I wouldn't mind if he was replaced until he can fulfill his role properly and see if Chappy can do better.
He's played with a bad back basically his whole career though. He's clearly not in form and anyone but stat watchers can see it. If the club is serious about achieving anything then it should drop players who are playing poorly. But some players like Ryan, Pearce, Tabs are immune.

He's played with a bad back basically his whole career though. He's clearly not in form and anyone but stat watchers can see it. If the club is serious about achieving anything then it should drop players who are playing poorly. But some players like Ryan, Pearce, Tabs are immune.
True. But he isn't the only coach that does that They just look at past performance and wait for it to return for some players. Playing Brayshaw injured has hurt our midfield, big time.

True. But he isn't the only coach that does that They just look at past performance and wait for it to return for some players. Playing Brayshaw injured has hurt our midfield, big time.
Thing with Brayshaw (and I guess Tabs) is that we don't really have any depth that can come in and put up the same numbers as an injured Brayshaw. But we've got plenty waiting in defence. Hamling should be given a chance, Chapman should come in, and we have plenty of smalls e.g. Wagner, Wilson, Walker, Clark, Aish, Young, Worner who can shuffle around to cover someone like Ryan.

Sturt hit an absolute beautiful dart pass inside fifty that was unfortunately and unsurprisingly dropped. Think it was to Freddy in the 2nd quarter. Might have been a tad too low. But the idea was exactly what is needed.
It was a beautiful incisive kick. Anyone else, it would have been a bomb to the square.

Sturt hit an absolute beautiful dart pass inside fifty that was unfortunately and unsurprisingly dropped. Think it was to Freddy in the 2nd quarter. Might have been a tad too low. But the idea was exactly what is needed.
It was a beautiful incisive kick. Anyone else, it would have been a bomb to the square.
It's why I want Driz back even after he didn't set the world on fire for Peel. Every time he kicked it inside 50 it was a beautiful low kick to a target.

Agree. Aish looked very lazy. No pressure from him at all. His opponent was sprinting down the wing while he was in a light jog
Agree something wrong with his attitude at the moment (also in reality he was not that great last week at Norwood)
I think it was in the second quarter he had the ball just back of the wing and two of our players lead up and would have being easy 35 metre kicks but he ignored both and bombed it long down to Sonny who was surrounded by three opponents , was just dumb decision for a senior player
Maybe Jlo should make a statement to the group by dropping one of his favs

Thing with Brayshaw (and I guess Tabs) is that we don't really have any depth that can come in and put up the same numbers as an injured Brayshaw. But we've got plenty waiting in defence. Hamling should be given a chance, Chapman should come in, and we have plenty of smalls e.g. Wagner, Wilson, Walker, Clark, Aish, Young, Worner who can shuffle around to cover someone like Ryan.
We have a couple out, but we have certainly put all our eggs in a small midfield basket. Our quality rotations are too small.

It's why I want Driz back even after he didn't set the world on fire for Peel. Every time he kicked it inside 50 it was a beautiful low kick to a target.
Those type of kicks are frowned upon. They are not defensively minded enough.

Serious question.... How long you have been a dockers fan? I have been one since late 2001 or early 2002.

You claim Alex Pearce is the worst Centre half back in history?

Do you really think that Alex Pearce is the worst full back or Centre half back or talk defender in history?

I got news for you. Not even close.

As much as I like Zac Dawson with his efforts, for a tall defender, he was a horrible kick.

Zac Dawson would never got a game or would be drafted on an AFL list if he was a 180-190 cm mid. Sorry, that is a fact.

If you said centre half backs... Scott Thornton was horrible.

Anthony Grover was ok despite being only 188 cm but he would never be on a premiership side.

This was before my time following Freo. I heard Anthony Jones was a spud defender too.

I remember Adam Campbell on freos list from the Connolly era of 2002-07. Yep another dud.

Tanner Smith was our 2nd rounder in 2012. He was horrible too. But sadly injury prone.

I will throw Alex Silvagni too. Harsh as he played in 2 Freo finals wins too. 2010 vs the hawks and 2012 vs the cats
You blokes should have seen Dan (brother of Shane) Parker.

As for this week, JL won't drop Aish - he brought him over from the pies so that relationship is strong. We will probably panic and bring Switta in, especially with Freddy now an omission.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was to Darcy and was very low but Darcy still should've marked it.

This is why Wagner should stay in and someone like Ryan should be dropped instead.

Everyone good as knows Ryan would be a better kick if he went for more aggressive options but Wagner is actually trying to go that atm. Not sure he’s talented enough to do well enough long term but it’d give Ryan the kick up the ass he needs.

The above especially applies if Chapman is brought straight back in.

Having the above though my honest opinion is that there’s something wrong with Ryan atm. He couldn’t seem to get to contests quick enough on Friday which has never been an issue in the past. Looked cooked from where I was sitting at the game.

We now good as know Taberner was playing injured. Is Ryan the same?

So due to travel and limitations to internet i missed seeing the game last week but listened to it. So with these limitations and after reading the last 12 pages straight i can gather this...we have serious brain rot in the best 22. Changes to personnel are obviously necessary as are positional ones. Our main problems are centre square and wings. Halve these positions and we are back on track. Maybe not winning, but competitive at the least. So with what we have to work with i would recommend weakening our backline talent to move said talent to the middle of the field. If i was coach i would definitely run Young and Chapman/Clark on the wings. All 3 love to take the game on and mark well. Hughes, Aish and Wilson to go back as replacements. Now for the guts. We need size and sheer will power in there. Jackson and Treacy are our only semi experienced explosive wrecking ball options but they need to be used consistently for a whole game (not just a few times per game), with one or the other at every centre bounce. One and only one of Brayshaw Omera or Serong can be sustainable at any time (half forward flanks when not on ball). Darcy and Wiz to round out the larger mid mix. I would be happy to go for a more mobile multi mid sized forward line with Corbett, Sturt and Banfield and only 1 key and the smalls.
It takes a lot of courage to admit you are wrong and throw out the playbook and pre conceived ideas about players positional limitations. This season has so many similarities to Connelly in 06 (talented list that is overcoached). Do you have the humility (balls) Jlo to make major changes to your style and let the players play like Connelly did in 06?.

Last edited:
Too many insides mids, not enough outside mids.

Too many mids who can't play anywhere else.

Yep
This. So much this. It is just too much same same in selections, coupled with insisting that Clark, Young and Walker all play back instead of playing wings.

Wing isn't about endurance or slow plodding runs, its burst speed and long accurate kicking. Hughes isn't that and never will be, yet we keep playing him wing, when he could be down back defending while Clark or Young drive the wings. Bizzarro.

This is why Wagner should stay in and someone like Ryan should be dropped instead.

Everyone good as knows Ryan would be a better kick if he went for more aggressive options but Wagner is actually trying to go that atm. Not sure he’s talented enough to do well enough long term but it’d give Ryan the kick up the ass he needs.

The above especially applies if Chapman is brought straight back in.

Having the above though my honest opinion is that there’s something wrong with Ryan atm. He couldn’t seem to get to contests quick enough on Friday which has never been an issue in the past. Looked cooked from where I was sitting at the game.

We now good as know Taberner was playing injured. Is Ryan the same?
Yes, as I mentioned after the game I think both Ryan and Cox are carrying injuries, and Pearce is pretty severely hobbled. I want to credit them for having the guts and character to keep playing, but at the same time if not fully fit it does mean that they can't get the job done.

I also think other teams have really done the job (after like 4 years) of analysing Ryan's approach to intercept marking, and are finally working out when and how to wait for him to try to get to the contest for an intercept, and then kick it to his opponent while the Ryan opponent also makes space away from the initially feigned contest that Ryan was drawn to. Dunno if I have explained that well but worth watching the goal end vision to see how deliberate some of the kicks are targeting Ryan's opponents, in ways I don't think we've seen in previous seasons.

Young and Chapman occupy both wings.

Both have a defensive mindset, both tall, decent runners and in Young’s case good kick.

On top of that both relatively tall like our old messiah Acres.

If we are short on match ups we can swap Chapman with Clark. Think we need to try something!

Young and Chapman occupy both wings.

Both have a defensive mindset, both tall, decent runners and in Young’s case good kick.

On top of that both relatively tall like our old messiah Acres.

If we are short on match ups we can swap Chapman with Clark. Think we need to try something!
I’ll keep going. Erasmus should be running through that midfield asap.

If it’s as a sub, or impacting in an alternating role from HF/Mid..Doesn’t matter, he needs to get in the team and stay there.

JOM should be reinvented as a small/medium fwd. The only reason he should get midfield minute’s from now on should be if Brayshaw is managed.

Serong/Brayshaw/Brodie/Erasmus should be the A squad.

A Fwd line of:

JOM Corbett Shultz
Walters Jackson Amiss

Sturt and Switta off the bench is how we should line up against Brisbane (Freddy obviously injured and personally doubt Switta flying to Brisbane)

That fwd line dynamic is talented enough to win games if the ball movement is good.

Umm... I don't think Hamling is up to it right now. Watch the first 30 secs of Peel highlights video where he duffs the short kick to his team mate.
SF v Peel highlights
Should've been a regulation kick and mark but that turnover is mostly on Henry. Had plenty of space around him and the ball bounced right into his arms yet he managed to ricochet it 5m away from him and then run into the bum of the south freo player.

I’ll keep going. Erasmus should be running through that midfield asap.

If it’s as a sub, or impacting in an alternating role from HF/Mid..Doesn’t matter, he needs to get in the team and stay there.

JOM should be reinvented as a small/medium fwd. The only reason he should get midfield minute’s from now on should be if Brayshaw is managed.

Serong/Brayshaw/Brodie/Erasmus should be the A squad.

A Fwd line of:

JOM Corbett Shultz
Walters Jackson Amiss

Sturt and Switta off the bench is how we should line up against Brisbane (Freddy obviously injured and personally doubt Switta flying to Brisbane)

That fwd line dynamic is talented enough to win games if the ball movement is good.
I digress..

Ryan should be dropped. Hughes doesn’t deserve to be dropped but should be demoted from the wing position to being our 3rd tall backman. I would trust Hughes to be more man on man and not have his opponent mark 10m away from him uncontested!

Cox shouldn’t take long to get his s**t together and had been ok.

Pearce is ****ed tbh. There isn’t much in the sheds though. Could trial Treacy there or he takes the 3rd tall and Hughes undersized takes the 2nd tall. Pearce seems physically shot…it’s hard to know what to do.

Freddy out for nearly a month really hurts our speed and instinctive attack on the ball, especially with Switta out at the same time and Noddy building in the WAFL.

I just don't see where the pace comes from, maybe all 5 of our next games will be held in monsoonal downpours and we won't need speed.

Oh wait, us and the wet...

Should've been a regulation kick and mark but that turnover is mostly on Henry. Had plenty of space around him and the ball bounced right into his arms yet he managed to ricochet it 5m away from him and then run into the bum of the south freo player.
I'm not sure exactly when it happened but apparently Liam was heavily concussed after the game. Might explain some of the truly odd things that happened when he came near the ball in the second half, some things were just weird, ball bouncing off him yet he didn't seem to react at all, went in the wrong direction, or went to the other side of the pack. Hopefully he recovers fast and is back out there at 100% soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back