Changes V GC - Four ins: Howe, Moore, Wells and....Blairy! Greenwood, Cox, Broomy and Smith out

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blair is a Premiership player and deserves to get his 150 and celebrate the milestone, not sure if this will be his last game at this level, who knows?

It may not be Blairs last game, I think he will be traded to freo at end of season and then a year later we will trade him back on a 4 year 500k deal
The way the club is travelling at the moment it wouldn't surprise me

He better be used as a midfielder and not a permanent small forward, if he is parked in the front half the entire game while the VFL leading goal kicker remains in the 2's.. i'm just about done for this season

Will be very interesting to see what role he plays.
Don't worry, he'll come in and take JDG's midfield rotations :drunk:

If there was ever any doubt about this man's motives it couldn't be any more clearer after this selection.
Being a key part of the match committee who pick the team they feel will perform best of what fit talent is available for selection? Yeah unheard of!
Nathan Buckley is all about Nathan Buckley.

I called it early in the year and last year whereby our injured stars when they return are always forced to come back via the VFL- unlike other teams who get them up quicker and return via the seniors.
That logic makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

As a senior coach who has some senior players who after long injury lay offs return via the VFL it some vindication that Buckley is selfish?

What are you even suggesting, that Buckley over-rules the fitness team and sabotages the potential performance of the AFL team (which is what his reputation is being measured against) because it is all about N.Buckley.

Woweee
Now, people will say this is exactly what he has done this time round- yet look at the circumstances.
He has hit the panic button, rushed back Wells, opted for Blair (when we have 2 quality small forwards we could blood and debut) all so he can salvage his job.
Surely you are having a laff.
Hit the panic button...surely he wouldn't have 'forced' Howe to be a late omission last week, or rested Moore if he had hit the panic button.

If a player is deemed not fit, they aren't fit...pretty much the premise the entire way through.

He dropped Reid for a 'must win' game the other week too, can debate whether it was the right move (Cox clunked some marks and looked dangerous) but hard to accuse him of panic because Moore, Howe and Wells clearly three of our more important players are declared available so they are selected.

Blair he is in because of his defensive game...do people not realise that since the bye we have been the easiest side to play against? Teams smash us in clearances, get easy scores from stoppages, so Blair is given a crack...fair enough IMO.
What does a win do for us now?
Seriously.
We needed to roll the dice on our stars early in the season- not when it's shot.
There's nothing for us to gain out of this season with such selections chasing "wins" purely to save his job.
If a player isn't given the tick to be able to play a full game at AFL level then you dont play them, that isn't being selfish...it is doing what is right for the team.

Elliott earlier in the year, played in VFL kicked a couple, came back and in his first AFL game against the Saints he didn't get near it.
Varcoe last week, again after a week in the VFL was at his usual no impact at AFL level.

Playing Howe and Moore is a no brainer, and Wells if fit is also a no brainer. Wells has had a positive impact in every game he played for us.

He is just playing the best team we have available.
He isn't even investing in the kids to actually get some benefit from the remaining 6-7 games.
Counter to this argument - if buckley is such a horrible coach, what do the kids actually gain by playing any games under him with his poor game plan?? Why kill their spirit and enthusiasm by making them suffer through a Buckley game.

The sooner he goes the better off we will be.
Fair enough for you to hold this view, but when you try and detail why you come off as a crazy jilted lover...no rational argument, just emotional ranting.

What difference does it make if we picked Kirby to play this week or in the next fortnight? Absolutely none in the grand scheme of things.

If the match committee think that Elliott and Fas provide small goal kicking options, and we have fallen away dramatically in our defensive aspect of the game then bringing in Kirby isn't really the answer unless you drop Fas or Elliott. So Blair comes in to help us lift the defensive side of our game, which has been woeful since the bye.

I disagree on Wells, he is too good to be playing two's, if he is right play him.

I like Wills, he showed some really good signs and would have made a great inclusion for Greenwood. Blair will need a very solid game, so many to go past him if not already past him.
Whether or not you think Wells is too good to be in the VFL, the move still smacks of desperation. We saw earlier in the year Wells being eased back slowly, being given a couple of VFL games before promotion, and then later heard that he was probably fit enough to play for 2-3 weeks preceding that. Super conservative approach, which was taken across the board early on. Now suddenly we have Wells being named in the senior squad when only a couple of days earlier Walsh had specifically said during the injury update that he'd be eased back through the VFL due to how much footy he'd missed?

It's a huge turnaround to the selection approach that's been taken all year in regards to the return of injured players. From a talent perspective I agree with you, Wells is too good for VFL. From a critical perspective though, judging on the consistency of our selection panel, it's a desperate move.

Selection smacks of desperation from the coach trying to keep his job.

Ablett, Rischitelli, Hall, Hanley.

These guys are not the future.

Play the kids!!
All being rushed back from soft tissue injuries after the club publicly said they'd play in the two's to get match fitness back?
All undersized limited battlers with low ceilings?

Timmy plz

All being rushed back from soft tissue injuries after the club publicly said they'd play in the two's to get match fitness back?
All undersized limited battlers with low ceilings?

Timmy plz

The club said they'd bring Moore and Howe back through the seconds?

Shocked to be sitting here.

Only wells has been "rushed back" and that's allegedly.... And no different to the Suns selecting Ablett

Whether or not you think Wells is too good to be in the VFL, the move still smacks of desperation. We saw earlier in the year Wells being eased back slowly, being given a couple of VFL games before promotion, and then later heard that he was probably fit enough to play for 2-3 weeks preceding that. Super conservative approach, which was taken across the board early on. Now suddenly we have Wells being named in the senior squad when only a couple of days earlier Walsh had specifically said during the injury update that he'd be eased back through the VFL due to how much footy he'd missed?
What??

Did you even listen to the blackmores update??

Moore and Howe both weren't risked last week, both minor and didn't play them last week due to it being a risk not worth taking.....hardly desperation.
Phillips sick, back on track but needs to put weight back on.
Wells, pleasingly a strong performer over last couple of weeks, a full week of training and Daniel will be available for selection.

Sier, doubtful with his foot and Benny Sinclair with nerve problem in hamstring.

So after the blackmore update pretty clear that Moore, Howe and Wells all good chances to return if they completed training.

I think someone just made a mistake at selection they wrote Wells instead of Wills. Easy mistake :tearsofjoy:

Just watched the Essendon replay. I am in shock Broomy has been dropped, he was one of the few players that was clean by hand or foot during the game. He was influential in moving the football through the corridor especially in the 2 nd and 3 rd quarters. Unbelievable!

The club said they'd bring Moore and Howe back through the seconds?

Shocked to be sitting here.

Only wells has been "rushed back" and that's allegedly.... And no different to the Suns selecting Ablett
Neither Moore or Howe were out for extended periods, and frankly, neither of those two inclusions have been an issue for the majority of posters. They were obvious inclusions who basically selected themselves by being deemed fit to play.

Wells on the other hand, has been out for over a month with a soft tissue injury and the club through Walsh had already stated he would come back through the VFL, exactly the same as he did earlier in the year and Varcoe did only a couple of weeks ago. Now suddenly the club's had a dramatic shift in selection policy on players coming back from significant soft tissue injuries?

Honestly, keep up. This was never about Howe or Moore, and the fact you're comparing Ablett returning after 1 week from a tight hamstring to Wells being thrown back in after a month and a half calf injury is just ludicrous.

What??

Did you even listen to the blackmores update??

Moore and Howe both weren't risked last week, both minor and didn't play them last week due to it being a risk not worth taking.....hardly desperation.
Phillips sick, back on track but needs to put weight back on.
Wells, pleasingly a strong performer over last couple of weeks, a full week of training and Daniel will be available for selection.

Sier, doubtful with his foot and Benny Sinclair with nerve problem in hamstring.

So after the blackmore update pretty clear that Moore, Howe and Wells all good chances to return if they completed training.
Yes I did watch the video and as I already said to Timmy, Moore and Howe aren't the issue. My mistake on the VFL line, must have been confused with the Varcoe one where he was going back through the VFL, but my point still stands. Wells has been out for 5 weeks with a calf injury, the same injury he was eased back through the VFL with earlier this year. Now suddenly he's good to go after no footy for over a month?

Spare me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You used the word "all". Thought you meant "all".

In fact you only meant " one "
Was referring to the GC players you tried to imply were being 'rushed' back. So yes, I meant 'all', your reading comprehension is just lacking today.

Being a key part of the match committee who pick the team they feel will perform best of what fit talent is available for selection? Yeah unheard of!

That logic makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

As a senior coach who has some senior players who after long injury lay offs return via the VFL it some vindication that Buckley is selfish?

What are you even suggesting, that Buckley over-rules the fitness team and sabotages the potential performance of the AFL team (which is what his reputation is being measured against) because it is all about N.Buckley.

Woweee

Surely you are having a laff.
Hit the panic button...surely he wouldn't have 'forced' Howe to be a late omission last week, or rested Moore if he had hit the panic button.

If a player is deemed not fit, they aren't fit...pretty much the premise the entire way through.

He dropped Reid for a 'must win' game the other week too, can debate whether it was the right move (Cox clunked some marks and looked dangerous) but hard to accuse him of panic because Moore, Howe and Wells clearly three of our more important players are declared available so they are selected.

Blair he is in because of his defensive game...do people not realise that since the bye we have been the easiest side to play against? Teams smash us in clearances, get easy scores from stoppages, so Blair is given a crack...fair enough IMO.

If a player isn't given the tick to be able to play a full game at AFL level then you dont play them, that isn't being selfish...it is doing what is right for the team.

Elliott earlier in the year, played in VFL kicked a couple, came back and in his first AFL game against the Saints he didn't get near it.
Varcoe last week, again after a week in the VFL was at his usual no impact at AFL level.

Playing Howe and Moore is a no brainer, and Wells if fit is also a no brainer. Wells has had a positive impact in every game he played for us.

He is just playing the best team we have available.

Counter to this argument - if buckley is such a horrible coach, what do the kids actually gain by playing any games under him with his poor game plan?? Why kill their spirit and enthusiasm by making them suffer through a Buckley game.

Fair enough for you to hold this view, but when you try and detail why you come off as a crazy jilted lover...no rational argument, just emotional ranting.

What difference does it make if we picked Kirby to play this week or in the next fortnight? Absolutely none in the grand scheme of things.

If the match committee think that Elliott and Fas provide small goal kicking options, and we have fallen away dramatically in our defensive aspect of the game then bringing in Kirby isn't really the answer unless you drop Fas or Elliott. So Blair comes in to help us lift the defensive side of our game, which has been woeful since the bye.
Correct, however you are far to reasoned and factual for some. We can try to be factual about some of the things happening but won't register at all with some.

Was referring to the GC players you tried to imply were being 'rushed' back. So yes, I meant 'all', your reading comprehension is just lacking today.

I didnt imply anything of the sort that the Suns were rushing players back from injury. Dont know where you jumped to that conclusion.

Just that they werent kids and that GC was selecting best available despite the coaches career being on the rocks.. Pretty much as Collingwood has done or at least attempted to do....not rushing kids in before their time and instead opting for experience.

I would have liked to seen Kirby rather than Blair but he'll get his chances.

And Wells if fit should play seniors.

It was you that went off on a tangent.

It's a huge turnaround to the selection approach that's been taken all year in regards to the return of injured players. From a talent perspective I agree with you, Wells is too good for VFL. From a critical perspective though, judging on the consistency of our selection panel, it's a desperate move.
Personnally I think it is a good turnaround, I think we are way too conservative. There may be some desperation about it but if he gets through the game, plays out the season then it will be a gamble worth taking. If he falls over again then we can all make judgements from there. We seriously are lacking the class Wells brings.

Yes I did watch the video and as I already said to Timmy, Moore and Howe aren't the issue. My mistake on the VFL line, must have been confused with the Varcoe one where he was going back through the VFL, but my point still stands. Wells has been out for 5 weeks with a calf injury, the same injury he was eased back through the VFL with earlier this year. Now suddenly he's good to go after no footy for over a month?

Spare me.
So the video which states that we didn't risk either Howe or Moore against Essendon, despite only having minor problems.
The video which said Wells has been performing strongly on track and will be available for selection.

Somehow this is the example of a desperate coach who is only looking after himself?

Earlier in the year Wells played one single VFL game, but this was after not completing any of the pre-season, and then was straight into the team on ANZAC day where he played well.

Buckley bringing in 3 quality players who are declared fit for selection is a 'desperate' move....spare me.

So the video which states that we didn't risk either Howe or Moore against Essendon, despite only having minor problems.
The video which said Wells has been performing strongly on track and will be available for selection.

Somehow this is the example of a desperate coach who is only looking after himself?

Earlier in the year Wells played one single VFL game, but this was after not completing any of the pre-season, and then was straight into the team on ANZAC day where he played well.

Buckley bringing in 3 quality players who are declared fit for selection is a 'desperate' move....spare me.
Wells was underdone at the start of the year from a conditioning perspective, then the set back on the calf, needed to blow the cob webs out in the VFL and at a new Club. I like the fact that we are taking a less conservative approach than we would have previously, we need to get some momentum up and finish with some positivity.

I think it was right to bring back Moore, Wells and Howe, but wrong to drop Broomhead and Cox. Despite another poster clutching at straws and claiming that Blair was brought back for his defensive side in the forward line, the blatant facts are Kirby, Brown and Daicos all have a better defensive side to their game than Blair who just gets pushed aside by his opposite numbers. More importantly Kirby and Daicos are capable of kicking multiple goals and have a promising career ahead at Collingwood, whereas Blair's future is cloudy given he is not a goal kicker and not the defensive forward other people are claiming he is.

To those who say Buckley is just trying to save his job, reeks of desperation, play the kids etc. Buckley has actually debuted a lot of kids in his tenure. From the period of 2012-2017 we have debuted the fourth most kids in the league.

Ranking of clubs by number of AFL debuts (2012-2017)
58 - GWS
37 - Brisbane
34 - Gold Coast
31 - Carlton, Collingwood, Fremantle, Geelong
30 - Melbourne, Sydney
29 - St Kilda
28 - Western Bulldogs
27 - Essendon, Richmond
25 - Hawthorn
24 - Adelaide, Port Adelaide
22 - North Melbourne
19 - West Coast

I didnt imply anything of the sort that the Suns were rushing players back from injury. Dont know where you jumped to that conclusion.
You literally said that Wells coming back in was no different to Ablett being selected, after admitting Wells had been rushed back in...

I had pretty much come to terms with the way our season has panned out, and I was actually quite excited about the next 7 weeks. I really see it as an opportunity to develop some players in their proper roles, and find out a lot about the state of the list.

We have big decisions to make at the end of the year. I want those decisions to be based on AFL exposure, and whether certain players are up for it.

Guys like Broomhead, Aish, Wills, Scharenberg, Phillips, Smith, Ramsay, Keeffe and Josh Thomas have been on the list a while, and their development has stunted a bit this year.

Personally, I want to see Broomhead, Aish, Wills and Phillips played as our key mids and learn which ones are up for it. The other guys I think we can move past (except Scharenberg who thankfully is playing), but these 4 guys have upside and I really want them played in the guts at every opportunity.

Perhaps this is just a case on needing a win to ease some pressure, and perhaps the last 6 weeks we will see more player development.

But overall I'm quite disappointed at the side selected this week.

I do acknowledge however that it is probably the strongest possible side we can field. If it were a Grand Final tomorrow, I'd probably name the exact same team. I think the current circumstance dictates the need for a different approach though.

Wells was underdone at the start of the year from a conditioning perspective, then the set back on the calf, needed to blow the cob webs out in the VFL and at a new Club. I like the fact that we are taking a less conservative approach than we would have previously, we need to get some momentum up and finish with some positivity.
Indeed.

Wells and Elliott had hindered pre-season's due to injury.

So before coming into the AFL team, were both given a game at VFL level as part of preparation for return to AFL readiness...if they were fit they would have had a proper blowout in a NAB challenge game.

It isn't the same thing as a senior player returning from injury mid season.

Elliott and Wells both hurt themselves against Freo, neither returned via the VFL because they didn't need to. It wasn't the same as re-introducing them to the senior line up with a practice game for match conditioning like at the start of the season.

The desperation calls are just ridiculous, why the feck wouldn't a coach pick his best players when declared fit??

You don't find it odd that Wells is coming back in to the seniors after over a month out with a recurring issue while Varcoe was brought back via VFL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back