Unofficial Preview Changes v North - Gather Round

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our biggest issue is going missing for 2 quarters in each of the 3 games to date.
With the players in the side this should not be happening.
Losing a quarter is okay as long as it does not look like we forgot how to defend at all.
That's a mental thing and needs fixing fast.

I would like to see Dunkley's game changed some, with his focus being more of an offence player.
He is one of our strongest in a marking contest and needs to present more.
However, his present role is basically a defensive mid and this does not happen a great deal.

OUT - Hippy, Answerth, Payne, Dev
IN Lyons, Morris, Lohmann, Tunstill (SUB)

Bails to HBF - better overhead and at ground level than Zorks and takes the game on
Rayner to get on a wing or in the CBA more often
Morris deep forward as an X factor - Joe CHF up the ground
Zorks in a FP crumbing/rotating on the ball

Bails to HBF - better overhead and at ground level than Zorks and takes the game on
This won't happen but I can see the merit in some of those ideas.

Dropping 4 and bringing in 3

I don't know whether Morris is up to it yet but last night our forward line got clogged up with too many big guys in there and the smalls not getting to the right positions seeing we couldn't take a mark.

Daniher CHF ?? It could work.

One of the problems in humankind is the inability to accept change and go with it.

Don't see the point of dropping Hipwood. Don't want to underestimate North, but hopefully they play us into a bit of form.

Don't see the point of dropping Hipwood. Don't want to underestimate North, but hopefully they play us into a bit of form.

Donald Trump Thank You GIF by UFC

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really like the way Reville goes about it. He's a lot stronger than last year but I still think he needs more conditioning and experience in the 2's .

Nonetheless would be happy to see him debut at some point this year because who looks to have the tools to make the transition over time ,and who knows maybe he's one of those guys who naturally copes with the extra pressure.

Reville will be fine if he debuts

We simply must make some changes across all lines. This team needs an injection of speed, hunger and creativity. The window is closing and fast. Everyone needs to be accountable.

Out:

Starcevich Andrews Payne

Wilmot Lester Zorko

Fletcher McCluggage Berry

McInerney Neale Dunkley

Bailey Daniher Rayner

Cameron Hipwood McCarthy

Lohmann Fort Ah Chee Answerth Robertson

In:

Logan Morris Logan Morris Logan Morris

Logan Morris Logan Morris Logan Morris Logan Morris Logan Morris

Out:

Starcevich Andrews Payne

Wilmot Lester Zorko

Fletcher McCluggage Berry

McInerney Neale Dunkley

Bailey Daniher

Cameron Hipwood McCarthy

Lohmann Fort Ah Chee Answerth Robertson

In:

Logan Morris Logan Morris Rayner

Logan Morris Logan Morris Logan Morris Logan Morris Logan Morris
Nunez approves of this.

We could swap Wilmot and Fletcher and see how we look. We need a sharp kicking distributor who has the tank to run back n defend. Fletcher is worth a go in this role considering his tank and kicking skills. I know he's our only proper wing player but we don't use wing that well anyway. I believe Fletcher will thrive with a license to take the game on.

We could swap Wilmot and Fletcher and see how we look. We need a sharp kicking distributor who has the tank to run back n defend. Fletcher is worth a go in this role considering his tank and kicking skills. I know he's our only proper wing player but we don't use wing that well anyway. I believe Fletcher will thrive with a license to take the game on.

Sorry but it’s all Logan Morris now.

Maybe Hipwood should have a run in defence?
Maybe Bailey too?

FB: Hipwood, Andrews, Lester
HB: Zorko, Bailey, Starcevich

C: Wilmot, Neale, Fletcher
Foll: Fort, Berry, Dunkley

HF: AhChee, Daniher, McCluggage
FF: Rayner, Payne, McCarthy

Int: Morris, Reville, Tunstill, Madden
Sub: Cameron

Out: Robinson, McInerney, Answerth

Last edited:
This start could be a blessing in disguise. Gives the group a chance to reboot and freshen things up. And if we don't make it this year the grand final will be a relaxing stress free day and hopefully enjoy watching a team we loathe (Blues ideally) get smashed

Did Payne really have a bad game?
we all though at half time he was going great, Michoeck was not even sighted, then in the second half the change overs with Harris seemed to be all wrong and Michoeck got off the chain but hs goals still weren't directly opposed to Payne. I do think Payne went off the boil midway through last season (yes he was playing injured) but he hasn't found his best form since.

I'm not into wrist slashing yet.

One change for me is the Lions half time process - 3 weeks in a row now the team has come back on the ground 'flat'. Its a bit like the opposite are waiting for us, they know we have been siting in circles singing kumbaya and hare half asleep. I think the coaching group needs to look at that preparation process.

The second aspect I see is a change in 'game plan' to wrestle momentum back we have always been a team that plays down the line, hugs the boundary for safety and with Rich retired and Kiddy gone we can no longer wait for the big booming kick across lines. I can see at time we are being more positive coming out, trying to chip kick at angles and move our way on the edge of the corridor more. There have been little aspects that have worked but it takes precise skills and quick decision making - in the first 3 weeks that hasn't worked. Previously we would blast long to the forwards that could get one-out now we have framed them up in contested play as we cant execute fast enough. The plan is good, it breaks up the teams like Collingwood that use a 'swarm' of running players but our guys are really struggling to execute with speed and precision. Kiddy was key to it all, Zorko back there now was to maintain the first of the deliveries but after that we have done it in any fashion just a handful of times.

Just feels like we are a team in transition at the moment and from that is confusion - probably looks great on the training track just under gamed pressure we don't have the same confidence.

No.

Like i frequently do I watched the replay and whilst he was marking Mihocek at the bounce and for large portions of the game he was not exclusively on Mihocek. When Mihocek scored his first two goals in the 3rd Q Payne was on Cameron and Andrews had Mihocek.

Mihocek third goal was very good forward craft, Payne was actually marking someone (McInnes I think), under the post and Harris and Lester were not manned up on anyone. Lester was standing in open space. Certainly it appears there was no communication between them.

Lester was matched up often on McCreery often at the bounce but was not exclusively marking him when he scored his two goals.

I don't necessarily agree, but Lions seem to pay a type of zoning defence and the pies attempted to do lots of blocks and switches within their forward line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back