Preview Changes v Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 29, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Well after a disappointing start to the season and a complete mess of team selection for round one we need to make some changes before next game or we may as well not show up.

out:
Gardner - surely he can never play again, he has poor skills, he gets out bodied and is all up just not afl standard.
Dale - poor during the preseason and invisible last night, does not seem to have carried any form into this year.

Leaving naughton young cavarra and suckling because the ball hardly went inside 50, suckling was being played out of position and while naughton looked underdone it’s not like we can give him a few runs in the vfl

In:
Lipinski - no brainer, gives an extra midfield and forward option
Richards - need some more speed in the wings or half forward lines

Close - McLean weightmen schache, McLean if we use him more as a mid or even give him the chance to make a wing his, weightmen is the exact type of forward we need, schache was good against north, yes he was poor against port but deserves more opportunities

B: Wood cordy crozier
HB: jj keath Williams
C Daniel Bont Hunter
HF: lipinski naughton young
F: Lloyd Bruce cavarra
R: English macrae smith
Int: suckling Dunkley Wallis Richards
Emg: McLean weightmen schache r smith

Bevvy. Stop the Gardner love / fascination. It's getting absolutely embarrassing now.... Should have been de listed at the end of last year..

Other than a handful of blokes, no one deserves a pay check from yesterday. Most deserve to be dropped as it was nothing short of diabolical

1 game in and is it too drastic to say the year is done? Hmmm probably but there wasn’t much from last night that was positive.

Unfortunately Bevo and his obtuse ideas continue to costs us ground so I doubt he will admit the selection errors made last night and will probably go unchanged.

But my changes would be

Out
Gardner - immediate delisting
Hunter - putrid
Dale. - not a footballers arsehole
Suckling - cooked
Lloyd. - for that one pathetic attempt

In
Lipinski
Trengove
Richards
Weightman
Who cares

Out: Anyone over 24 and guaranteed a list spot next year.

In: Anyone under 24 plus anyone who isn't guaranteed a list spot next year.

This season wont last 2 weeks so might as well see what these guys like Gardiner have.
We've seen what Gardner is like. A few times last year, and once again last night.

Out: Gardner (no more to be said about him)
Dale (bit harsh to be negative on forwards last night considering the pathetic entries they received, but his lack of pressure and intensity was not acceptable).
Not sure Cavarra's AFL standard either but he gets one more opportunity.
In: Richards (need to find some speed to contrast our many one-paced mids)
Lipinski (we need all the run we can get).
Thought about swapping Young for Trengove but with Kreuzer out English should at least get his hands to a few hitouts, that is, if he's not shell-shocked and dropped his bundle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bring in Trengove. Help out in the ruck, flatten blokes in defence. Gardner's not cutting it.

Debut Weightman, why the hell not.

In: Lachie Young, Richards, Trengove, Lipinski
Out: Lewis Young, Gardner, Naughton (get him fit), Dale

I'd also like to fit McLean in. Cavarra did bugger all apart from one tackle and a score of 1.1 from two frees and a 50m penalty so maybe he should go, but once you start a bloke for his first game I think you have to back up with at least one more. Lloyd was largely ineffectual and embarrassingly shy of physical contact at one point but he was one of our best forwards last year so he gets another chance. So Toby has to wait another week.

Of the ins, Young is mobile and athletic - we needed plenty of that last night. Ditto Richards. Lipinski is a good mover and ball handler and kicks well, something else in short supply last night. Trengove is mainly there to provide some physical presence either in defence or to help English (Dog knows he needs some help!) I'd even consider rucking 80% with Trengove and 20% with English who can play the Schache role up forward the rest of the time.

None of our forwards should be dropped, except for maybe Lloyd if we want to make a statement on softness. Give them a chance in a game where our midfield doesn't s**t themselves.

Trengove and Lipinski coming in are no brainers. Unfortunately for Trengove, Beveridge is a bit of a no brainer himself.

That midfield was woeful. I'm one of McLean's biggest critics and I think he needs to come in, and needs to be in the middle. I'd also give up on Gardner and move Lewie Young back.

That midfield was woeful. I'm one of McLean's biggest critics and I think he needs to come in, and needs to be in the middle. I'd also give up on Gardner and move Lewie Young back.
I’m not worried about the midfield. Our 3 are remarkable players who for some strange reason all played horrible games together. It won’t happen again.

I’m more concerned about Bev picking undeserving players and not picking the best team to win on the day.

I’m not worried about the midfield. Our 3 are remarkable players who for some strange reason all played horrible games together. It won’t happen again.

I’m more concerned about Bev picking undeserving players and not picking the best team to win on the day.

It's the second game in a row though. They were somehow even worse than the elim.

Pass (A-C):

Croz - A
Keath - A
Williams - A
Smith - A
Daniel - A
Wood- B
Wallis - B
Hunter - C
Cav - C
JJ - C

Fails (D-F):

Suckling - D
Bruce - D
Macrae -E
Young - E
Bont - F
Dunkley - F
Cordy - F
Gardner - F
English - F
Lloyd - F
Dale - F
Naughton - Underdone and shouldn’t have been out there

the A-C players should have another crack and you’d think English, Bont, Dunkley and Macrae should have a chance to redeem their rapidly deteriorating reputation. Bruce and Naughts should get a pass as they received no supply. Suckling one more chance because his flexibility and long kicking is something we definitively need.

I would completely shift the forward line to focus on pressure and pace.

Out: Lloyd, Dale, Young
In: Richards, Weightman, McLean

Gardner and Cordy simply need to go. Trengrove in and have Keath and Wood support him against other talls. Drop the defenders by one and bring in another mid (Lipinski if fit)

Out: Gardner, Cordy
In: Trengrove, Lipinski

new best 22:

Crozier Trengrove Wood
Johannisen Keath Williams
Hunter Macrae Smith
English Bont Dunkley
Richards Bruce McLean
Cavarra Naughton Weightman

I/C: Wallis, Lipinski , Daniel, Suckling

would also like to see Vandermeer and West in as soon as possible as a Wing and pressure forward respectively as soon as They’re fit and firing

The team looks a bit soft to me and I think opposition teams see that too. We miss players with a bit of mongrel like Dale Morris, Libba, Clay Smith, Liam Picken. These guys didn't take any crap and refused to be physically bullied.

This team needs to come out next week and throw their weight around and show they're no rollovers. We need Libba back ASAP if he's fit being his usual antagonistic best. Lachie Young has a bit of mongrel in him and so does Sweet. With his big frame he could do some damage. Riley West is a tough nut.

In: Sweet, West, Lachie Young, Libba (if fit)
Out: Gardner, Cavarra, Lewis Young, Daniel

Have Sweet helping the backline and chopping out in the ruck. Daniel wasn't our worst but he has no mongrel and his tackling is poor.

The focus for the rest of the year needs to be turning these snowflakes into tough nuts

Just on the trengove as back Ruck comments- what are the thoughts on the need for one given short quarters? I get injuries can happen but quarter breaks seem the same so is one needed ( injury aside)

Sadly West is out for 6-8 weeks with a knee injury. Otherwise he'd be a great fit. I'm on board with Sweet on the bench in case English gets physically monstered again.

Just on the trengove as back Ruck comments- what are the thoughts on the need for one given short quarters? I get injuries can happen but quarter breaks seem the same so is one needed ( injury aside)
I think he gets a game as a defender on merit. The help in the ruck is a bonus. We need some mongrel and mature bodies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back