Unofficial Preview Changes v St. Kilda (after the bye)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Also an interesting comparison with DeGoey because Cam tries to play in a similar way and has a similar physical makeup except he's a bit bigger than DeGoey .

If you look at DeGoeys first couple of years as someone pointed out Cam is at least equivalent if not better than that and we'd be over the moon if he turned out somewhere near as good

We will be coming off a week's rest and they'll be coming off a trip to Townsville, should give us a leg up.

Yeah...except that the game is played somewhere that our players are 50/50 on whether they turn up.

John_Proctor

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
From the bits of reserves games I’ve seen tom Berry looks very quick and a natural footballer and Toby Wooler looks to have a big tank (spends time in midfield) and is solid overhead (plays as a key position). Both might be worth a look.

Smith/OMac is an obvious change.

yesterday we had 7 defenders who are sole use defenders. Andrews, gardiner, Robertson, hodge, Rich, answerth, witherden. I don’t think that is sustainable. Andrews, gardiner, Robertson have specific defensive roles. Answerth showing a bit, but I’m concerned that rich/hodge/witherden are all low run players as our mid sized defenders.
To me the Hodge on field general lessons (should) have been learnt and he is the one that should be dropped for better balance on field. He doesn’t play on taller opponents anymore, he has lost a lot of agility and often kicks off the ground because he can’t get down to pick the ball up and he can be exposed for lack of pace. IMO his physical limitations outweigh his footy smarts in his personal play and now is as good a time as any to see if the boys can organise the defence without him.

Out: Rayner, Smith, McCarthy, hodge

In: wooler, OMac, Bastinac, Berry

Feel that basti would be a bit more flexible than Mccarthy pushing through midfield. Wooler potentially better over head and more run than Rayner at this point as a mid sized flanker. OMac better as a third tall forward.

Basti, Robinson, Berry, Allison to rotate through backline.

Last edited:

Thedeftouch

Club Legend
May 5, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Archie Smith is out. He was a liability on the field. The free kick that he gave away near the interchange was the sort of ill-discipline that must be punished. McInerney is the obvious in.

Rayner is copping a lot of flak and he did not have a good game. However, I think we are taking a long-term view with him. We also should have some patience because he's 19 and playing as a forward. There will be quiet games. He's averaging a goal a game and I expect he will put in a better performance after a week's break.

I think we have too many players who are playing a purely defensive role. Robertson is limited with ball in hand and I think should be the one out. Ryan Lester or Zac Bailey (depending if fit) should come in.

We also look much better in defence with Josh Walker, and we need to find a spot for him. It's tough but I think Hodge could use the extra week off. He's looking slow and he should be able to provide some value from the sidelines.

In summary....

OUT- Smith, Robertson, Hodge
IN - McInerney, Lester, Walker

Paul Mac

All Australian
Jun 5, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Half-back? Cuts hasn't played half-back in at least two seasons. Has he even played in defence under Fagan? All of his games last year were on the wing.
Hey Tom and thats probably my point a bit. He aint getting a game where he is playing now. Look not that we have to throw everything out with the bath water but IMO i wouldnt mind him getting a chance. Would have thought a bit taller to compete one on ones and his kicking would be longer and more penetrating through the air than witherdens. And a bit quicker in pace which we do need on the backline, Just an opinion.

Last edited:

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Also an interesting comparison with DeGoey because Cam tries to play in a similar way and has a similar physical makeup except he's a bit bigger than DeGoey .

If you look at DeGoeys first couple of years as someone pointed out Cam is at least equivalent if not better than that and we'd be over the moon if he turned out somewhere near as good

Cam is in the De Goey mould but if he builds a tank could also be in the Dusty mid field / forward mould. Will be a superstar. Interesting to note that De Goey also has an average goal to point ratio - one of the worst in the comp

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Hey Tom and thats probably my point a bit. He aint getting a game where he is playing now. Look not that we have to throw everything out with the bath water but IMO i wouldnt mind him getting a chance. Would have thought a bit taller to compete one on ones and his kicking would be longer and more penetrating through the air than witherdens. And a bit quicker in pace which we do not on the backline, Just an opinion.
No bathwater left Paul, we drank it at quarter time on Saturday instead of the usual oranges.

Paul Mac

All Australian
Jun 5, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
No bathwater left Paul, we drank it at quarter time on Saturday instead of the usual oranges.
I like that.
I must admit being at the game live on Saturday we had the foot on carltons throat halfway through the second quarter and think we got a bit ahead of ourselves with some decisions that let them back in.

Paul Mac

All Australian
Jun 5, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Half-back? Cuts hasn't played half-back in at least two seasons. Has he even played in defence under Fagan? All of his games last year were on the wing.
Also as far as i can remember i thought Cutler was a defender in his early years so why not. Its not like witherden is setting the world on fire and i don't know where else you could play witherden where cutler does have variety. Cheers

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Also as far as i can remember i thought Cutler was a defender in his early years so why not. Its not like witherden is setting the world on fire and i don't know where else you could play witherden where cutler does have variety. Cheers
Someone said on another thread that Cutler is injured.

Which is a shame , we could have used him Saturday.

It's obvious that we're trying to build a culture and a consistent gameplan which is fine .

That's what Carlton were doing until this week. It'll be interesting to see where they go from here supposedly with the shackles off.

Miz23

Draftee
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I feel Bastinac should be given another chance. Could replace Rayner or McCarthy and can also put him in the midfield if needed. Could use another leader in the midfield as well while Berry is out

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
interesting thing this year I think the comp is a lot more even. On their day anyone can beat anyone.
The blues been close a few times and put it together yesterday.
We kicked our first goal 15:20 first.. Blues had all the play before that. We then got on top with some lucky frees and a few bad kicks.
We kicked our 6th goal at 6:22 in the second. The Blues disposal before that was ordinary.. Effect was always there
They cleaned up the disposals.
Seeing the first went 28:28.. we played 19 minutes of goal scoring footy before we let them in
Blues kick there first 12:32 second. we get a goal first and last min of third and 21min mark of 4th.
Blues where on top most of the day.
When we on we are on.. when the other team gets a run on we do often look slow and a bunch of down hill skiers.

John_Proctor

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The blues season appears much worse than it has been because of two very heavy losses suffered with huge numbers of injuries.

Overall they’ve been better than last year so far and I see them this season as similar to us last year. They’ve finally cleaned out a lot of dead wood from their list and have a decent first 22 too full of young kids to win regularly but too full of talent to ignore.

Bolton is unlucky in that they carried an average list his first two seasons (for 7 and 6 wins) before really finally properly rebuilding. If they’d called it his first season in charge he might have been a year ahead of us instead of a year behind.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
I’d be giving Rayner another go fresh after the bye.
Sure; of course he deserves another go and should be exempt from being dropped, because it’s not like he’s been given ample opportunity like so many of his teammates that are given the arse after one or two solid games in the seniors on the back of performances where he gets 3, 7, 9 possessions in a game and offers nothing.:rolleyes:

dizzysquizz

Senior List
May 16, 2016
brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Jeez we missed Josh Walker and Oscar today...
Geez Robertson is a whipping boy, I thought he stood tall when plenty of others had their colours lowered.
Talking about dropping people what about Robinson? Stunk it up today and hasn’t done much for a few weeks now.
Outs- Robinson, Smith, Hodge
In- Big O , Berry and Walker

Totally agree about N Robbo, thought he had a solid game today.
Thing with
Here's a stat for you-
Sam Walsh: 31 disposals, 14 contested. No Lions player had more than 12
Robinson: 16 disposals, 2 contested :poo:
Mathieson: 12 disposals, 4 contested
If at least one of them doesn't get a month in the twos for that effort we've got a problem.

I want to like him as a player, but I just don't see it. Doesn't do enough. He was good against the Eagles but hasn't offered much since. A rotational mid in an improving side shouldn't be getting 20+ touches once in 8 games. Corey Lyons couldn't do worse surely.

Probably another case of Stef being unfairly scapegoated by a few on here. Had our most contested possessions- in fact, he didn't have an uncontested possession.

Any regular NEAFL watches think C Lyons is up to seniors, we got absolutely smashed around the ball, and someone who consistently gets the ball in NEAFL is LYONS, I know he has limitations, but could he be worth a crack.

ALso think N Robbo had a really impressive game and deserves to keep his spot.
Rayner needs to find some touch in the NEAFL, even when he got his touches he fumbled and and made poor decisions with the ball.

Sure; of course he deserves another go and should be exempt from being dropped, because it’s not like he’s been given ample opportunity like so many of his teammates that are given the arse after one or two solid games in the seniors on the back of performances where he gets 3, 7, 9 possessions in a game and offers nothing.:rolleyes:

I think playing Cam again would genuinely be bad for him. He must know he's been letting his team mates down and it'd be eating away at him. He's completely devoid of confidence and forcing him to try to play through it is just cruel.

Obviously the coaches know more but I can't see how it wouldn't be affecting him. It'd be good for the soul for him to have a bit of a rest.

StevoJenkins

The Weekend Worker
Sep 4, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
AFL
I feel Bastinac should be given another chance. Could replace Rayner or McCarthy and can also put him in the midfield if needed. Could use another leader in the midfield as well while Berry is out

Is Bastinac a leader though? Last season it sounded like he was told to be a leader in the NEAFL rather than being an actual leader.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back