Preview Changes vs Brisvegas [In: Greenwood, Comben & Shiels / Out: Pink, Lazzaro & CCJ]

Remove this Banner Ad

Out: ccj, tucker, pink
In: comben, greenwood, sellers

There’s others I could name, but these ones have had their chance for now

- Would love to see Chom unleashed, but unsure if he should play in a backline without Corr for experience reasons. Maybe give Pink a week off, confidence would be low but also dropping would have the same effect
Having a laugh if you think Corr is needed for backline leadership. Ask Kersh how he felt when he was given McKay while Corr took their fwd pocket, or Fish when he pointed fingers while he sprayed his kick across goal.

We where never going to get instant success no matter who coached us after Noble. I am pretty sur Clarko has a plan and knows exactly what he is doing regardless of what some on here think.
Clarko admitted to nearly giving the game away last year with significant mental health issues following the racism allegations.

Given this issue has resurfaced in the past 2 weeks he will have been distracted in a major way.

I hope he has given the assistant coaches greater say in selection and strategy but we all know that is not Clarko's natural inclination.

Team selection has been horrible - Bard like with the emphasis on 'backing them in'. Strategy - particularly defensive strategy - has been non existent. It's like we are playing 'first to 30 points' wins. Clarko admitted it is all wrong at present and there is alot of work he/the coaches need to do to get anything resembling a defensive structure in place.

We had 'instant success' last year with our first 2 wins under Clarko - that seems like an eternity ago now.

We need to keep the faith with Clarko - and I certainly still do - but he is working under great pressure and when there are distractions that can impact on performance.

Phillips - I know he didn't have his best games in the VFL but I think it's time to back him in to play that first possession in the midfield role and link up with LDU and Phillips.

It's interesting that you want Phillips in to be the first possession in the midfield role, aka the target, whereas he seemed to be playing as the defensive sweeper yesterday and as far as I could tell, he was diligently holding position and avoiding being sucked into the contest. A lot of people say he didn't have his best game and I suspect they are basing this off the stat sheet. My suspicion is that he is playing under specific instruction to not go ball hunting with the view to plugging that sweeper gap in our centre bounce set up at AFL level.

Clarko admitted to nearly giving the game away last year with significant mental health issues following the racism allegations.

Given this issue has resurfaced in the past 2 weeks he will have been distracted in a major way.

I hope he has given the assistant coaches greater say in selection and strategy but we all know that is not Clarko's natural inclination.
Given that Clarko has cleaned out the football department of career assistant coaches and replaced them with ambitious men who want to become head coaches in their own right, and with encouragement to challenge him at every turn, and given also that a number of other head coaches served their apprenticeships under Clarko, I think the bolded premise above is incorrect.

It's interesting that you want Phillips in to be the first possession in the midfield role, aka the target, whereas he seemed to be playing as the defensive sweeper yesterday and as far as I could tell, he was diligently holding position and avoiding being sucked into the contest. A lot of people say he didn't have his best game and I suspect they are basing this off the stat sheet. My suspicion is that he is playing under specific instruction to not go ball hunting with the view to plugging that sweeper gap in our centre bounce set up at AFL level.
I agree with this, he was definitely playing the first circle around the stoppage contests

I'd even consider Archer after yesterday, but 1 game after a long lay-off. He looked confident, disposal good, attacked the man & ball.
He'll be the bloke to release Colby, or dare l say it Harry upfield.
After yesterday I would bring in Comben and replace one of Corr or Pink. Not sure if Archer is ready after a lay off, but he couldn’t be any worse than Tucker, who is Mr Invisible.

I would also be tempted to bring in both Marley and Sellers and try and stretch Brisbane’s defence.

Not sure if who is exactly ready, but I wouldn’t be disappointed to see something like the below.

FB - Archer Dawson McDonald
CHB - Scott Comben Fisher
C - McKercher LDU Sheezel
CHF - Zurhaar Larkey Ford
FF - Curtis Sellers Simpkin
R - Xerri Wardlaw Powell
I - Maley Dursma

Happy for the remaining interchange and Sub positions and I be filled by any of the following Lazarro, Hardeman, Shiels, Stephens, Stephenson, Drury, Pink/Corr.

Enough of Tucker.

After yesterday I would bring in Comben and replace one of Corr or Pink. Not sure if Archer is ready after a lay off, but he couldn’t be any worse than Tucker, who is Mr Invisible.

I would also be tempted to bring in both Marley and Sellers and try and stretch Brisbane’s defence.

Not sure if who is exactly ready, but I wouldn’t be disappointed to see something like the below.

FB - Archer Dawson McDonald
CHB - Scott Comben Fisher
C - McKercher LDU Sheezel
CHF - Zurhaar Larkey Ford
FF - Curtis Sellers Simpkin
R - Xerri Wardlaw Powell
I - Maley Dursma

Happy for the remaining interchange and Sub positions and I be filled by any of the following Lazarro, Hardeman, Shiels, Stephens, Stephenson, Drury, Pink/Corr.

Enough of Tucker.
That's a fascinating team but I really don't think we are moving Sheezel out of the position he has been dominating in for the time being at least. I'd prefer he and Scott swap places in your starting 18. Otherwise, bring it.

Fat lot of good it is for him to be mastering it in the vfl.

I don’t think our midfield ones have ever heard of the term.

That's a fascinating team but I really don't think we are moving Sheezel out of the position he has been dominating in for the time being at least. I'd prefer he and Scott swap places in your starting 18. Otherwise, bring it.
If sellers comes in gonna be hard to double team both him and curtis who are both strong marks. Maintaining seperation betreen those 2 and larkey will be the challenge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having a laugh if you think Corr is needed for backline leadership. Ask Kersh how he felt when he was given McKay while Corr took their fwd pocket, or Fish when he pointed fingers while he sprayed his kick across goal.
Not saying Corr is a leadership measuring stick by any stretch, I’m not a fan of his, used to believe a little bit when he was the 3rd tall but now is becoming frustrating.

However with Pink and Dawson only playing a combined 10 games or so I think chucking Chom in there in place of Corr might be alot of inexperience, especially against the runners up from last year with a fwd line of Daniher, Hipwood and fort and McInerny at times.

We should be aiming for 3 wins minimum after our bye, we play WC twice and Hawthorn + Richmond which at this stage should be winnable games.
If we go into the bye with a win or two that will help but the 2nd half of the year will be the real litmus test as to whether or not we have actually improved. If we are still having the same fadeouts and frequent heavy losses then we are in trouble.

We ain’t winning against Richmond or hawthorn lol

Archer is a weird one. I think he plays better the more challenging it gets. He looked alright at AFL level.

Another one of those that simply doesn't accept mediocrity and wants the opposition to hate life.
One thing about Archer is that he's an old-fashioned defender.

We have rebounders and distributors coming out the wazoo but someone to stop the small forward? Not so much. McDonald has been given jobs in the past but it's a tough role and when they have multiple small targets, we get burned.

Like you say, Archer has been ok at the level and I hope he gets another shot soon.

One thing about Archer is that he's an old-fashioned defender.

We have rebounders and distributors coming out the wazoo but someone to stop the small forward? Not so much. McDonald has been given jobs in the past but it's a tough role and when they have multiple small targets, we get burned.

Like you say, Archer has been ok at the level and I hope he gets another shot soon.
He's one of those types that can slot right into the lockdown role and still contribute.

Not a bad kick either but there might be moments he can rush a disposal. Still a player with a bit of raw ability and just needs some exposure at the level.

The Axe needs to fall this week. At least 4 to 5 have to make way . Sellers Comben Maley maybe George Phillips.

Sad reflection of where we're at as a Club unfortunately.

Can anyone remember an AFL game being scheduled during a standard working week?

Imagine if they scheduled one of the big 4 Melbourne clubs at that time.

No chance.
They did the same thing last year. GWS and Freo played at Norwood on the Friday starting approx the same time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back