List Mgmt. Changing of the Guard, Regenerating Over The Next 3 Years

Remove this Banner Ad

KERRPOW

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 28, 2008
in a town near you
AFL Club
West Coast
A bit of a knee jerk reaction here, but lets entertain it. We are in a phase where most of the players who played in that premiership year are nearing retirement.

I dont know the contract status of all these players but im assuming they are uncontracted for the purpose of this discussion.

Retire/Delist at the end of 2021
  • Hurn
  • Kennedy
  • Hutchings
  • Vardy
This opens up a spot in defence and attack for 2022. A spot for waterman or allen to grab up forward and for rotham/Hedwards/foley in defence.

Retire/Delist at the end of 2022
  • Redden
  • Ainsworth
  • Venables (assuming he doesn't play at all)
Retire/Delist at the end of 2023
  • Natanui
  • Shuey
  • Sheppard

Hope like hell players like Trew & XON really step up and push out guys like sheed & gaff in a year or 2.

A good start would be using our first round pick on the best available inside midfielder.

Not a half back flanker, not a utility, a midfielder.

And play them in the middle rather then trying to squeeze them in as a half forward.

The last proper midfielder we used a first round draft pick on was Sheed I believe.

A long time between drinks.

We aren't out of the window while Nic is around so I'd be keeping Kennedy and Hurn.

Our midfield and our defense has been shocking this year. Midfield has been decimated by injury

Defense suffers from its two key defenders playing as intercept markers instead of lock down defenders. Our smaller defenders offer zero run and carry.

So I'd be 1) clearing out our coaches starting with;

Jaymie Graham - defense
Hickmont - Midfield

Then 2) I'd be looking at every small medium player on our list and clearing out about 6-8 of them - anyone who doesn't put their head over the ball or know how to win contested ground balls. I'd trade one of Barrass or McGovern. We also need a backup ruck.

Last edited:
A bit of a knee jerk reaction here, but lets entertain it. We are in a phase where most of the players who played in that premiership year are nearing retirement.

I dont know the contract status of all these players but im assuming they are uncontracted for the purpose of this discussion.

• Hurn
  • Kennedy
  • Hutchings
  • Vardy
This opens up a spot in defence and attack for 2022. A spot for waterman or allen to grab up forward and for rotham/Hedwards/foley in defence.

• Redden
  • Ainsworth
  • Natanui
  • Shuey
  • Sheppard

Hope like hell players like Trew & XON really step up and push out guys like sheed & gaff in a year or 2.
I cant see a situation where Venables is retained another year. He has to be delisted. 0 chance of playing again and we have more than fulfilled our obligations to assist him.
I also dont see Ainsworth lasting beyond this year other than to play Beagles.
One of or both of Hurn or JK may play on- I think they will be offered a 1 year extension and will be up to them if they play on.

• Hurn
  • Kennedy
  • Hutchings
  • Vardy

• Redden
  • Ainsworth
  • Natanui
  • Shuey
  • Sheppard

Redden deserves another year. He's been one of our best midfielders this year and can also play a run-with role.

We aren't out of the window while Nic is around so I'd be keeping Kennedy and Hurn.

Our midfield and our defense has been shocking this year. Midfield has been decimated by injury

Defense suffers from its two key defenders playing as intercept markers instead of lock down defenders. Our smaller defenders offer zero run and carry.

Jaymie Graham - defense
Hickmont - Midfield

Then 2) I'd be looking at every small medium player on our list and clearing out about 6-8 of them - anyone who doesn't put their head over the ball or know how to win contested ground balls. I'd trade one of Barrass or McGovern. We also need a backup ruck.

Nic has played basically the last three years and we have actually gotten worse each year not better. Him playing or not doesn't improve our flag window at all infact it seems counter productive as out mids rely on him far two much for the easy ball and he is as useless as **** on a bull outside a ruck contest in the middle of the ground.

Nic has played basically the last three years and we have actually gotten worse each year not better. Him playing or not doesn't improve our flag window at all infact it seems counter productive as out mids rely on him far two much for the easy ball and he is as useless as **** on a bull outside a ruck contest in the middle of the ground.

tl;dr
Ainsworth in ruck = flag. Will force others to play better.

WC haven't been the same since the 2018 GF, Mark LeCras' last game.

Should we get him back?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In theory Hurn could go again at a reasonable standard but the reality is that he had declined quite substantially in 2 years. Even little things like remaining alert seem to be slipping with him now.

A call may need to be made here. I'm less sure about JK though.

Hutchings, Vardy etc are obvious candidates and I also feel that someone like Jamie Cripps isn't the future either.

In theory Hurn could go again at a reasonable standard but the reality is that he had declined quite substantially in 2 years. Even little things like remaining alert seem to be slipping with him now.

A call may need to be made here. I'm less sure about JK though.

Hutchings, Vardy etc are obvious candidates and I also feel that someone like Jamie Cripps isn't the future either.
I would hope that Winder phases Cripps out in 2022.

Per the ESPN footy podcast/Champion Data, Nic Nat is currently playing at 80% above the average 31 year old ruckman and is leading the AFL for score launches full stop, which is basically unheard of.

Blame the rest of the goofs around him.

Per the ESPN footy podcast/Champion Data, Nic Nat is currently playing at 80% above the average 31 year old ruckman and is leading the AFL for score launches full stop, which is basically unheard of.

Blame the rest of the goofs around him.
Spot on, he's doing exactly what he should be, it's the clowns at his feet that are totally f it up

Agreed, all of those contested things Nic leads the league in are pure fliffery and all he's done is turn our mids into fat useless campaigners.

This is the sort of lateral thinking my poor brain isn't capable of

Exactly! And playing Kelly alongside 2 AA mids has turned him into pudding! He's lost all his confidence playing next to the likes of Shuey and Yeo!

I was watching highlights of Tim Kelly in Geelong. totally different player, different intensity. I dunno, I guess the only contributing factor to that is our coaches and their lack of direction. Kelly has gone from AA Brownlow medal fav to below-average player. Time to take a good look at Adam Simpson. spare me with your BS won a flag 18 nonsense. Simmo looks lost and has been for few years. He is getting outcoached by Stuart Dew for god sake. If we lose to NOrth and do not respond by winning by at least 10 goals. It is curtains for Simmo. Overdramatic?? not really. He has a full list now for two weeks. What's the excuse now??

I was watching highlights of Tim Kelly in Geelong. totally different player, different intensity. I dunno, I guess the only contributing factor to that is our coaches and their lack of direction. Kelly has gone from AA Brownlow medal fav to below-average player. Time to take a good look at Adam Simpson. spare me with your BS won a flag 18 nonsense. Simmo looks lost and has been for few years. He is getting outcoached by Stuart Dew for god sake. If we lose to NOrth and do not respond by winning by at least 10 goals. It is curtains for Simmo. Overdramatic?? not really. He has a full list now for two weeks. What's the excuse now??
Before injury this year, Kelly was one of the in-form players in the competition. I get it’s fun to melt after big losses but I’d be giving Kelly a bit more time to get back to where he was.

Adrian Hickmott can't last as midfield coach. I'm surprised there isn't any heat on him. I truly hope he stays on at the club especially since he has overseen the development of our gun defenders but the man shouldn't have been promoted to midfield coach.

Jaymie Graham - defense
Hickmont - Midfield

Not sure where I read it but Jaymie Graham is apparently highly rated. His name was thrown up as a possibilty for the Collingwood job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back