Player Watch Charlie Dean

Remove this Banner Ad

Dean is pretty much ready in terms of experience against mature bodies, and he is mature himself. Still learning the art of being an afl defender, which was getting some pointers from Moore a few days ago.
We certainly didn't recruit a ready made VFL player like Dean to only stick him in the 2's to develop, it's up to him now, should be in the 1st from day one.

Yeah, that's the real issue
I think he could have a bright future at Collingwood
With Keane and Tohill gone I suspect one of Kelly, Kreuger or Begg are moved back as KPD depth
I'm not confident with Madgen as first backup off the bench, with Ruscoe, Wilson and Murphy next up
Here's hoping Dean slots in front of them all

Last edited:
I think he could have a bright future at Collingwood
With Keane and Tohill gone I suspect one of Kelly, Kreuger or Begg are moved back as KPD depth
I'm not confident with Madgen as first backup off the bench, with Ruscoe, Wilson and Murphy next up
Here's hoping Dean slots in front of them all
i really can't see what Murphy is going to add.
What type of player is he?

Sure he has some courage, but he can't seem to put himself where the ball is or is going.
If Dean reads the play well and is a good intercept mark, I can't see a position for Murphy

i really can't see what Murphy is going to add.
What type of player is he?

Sure he has some courage, but he can't seem to put himself where the ball is or is going.
If Dean reads the play well and is a good intercept mark, I can't see a position for Murphy
He's a depth utility fighting it out with Wilson. He reads the ball well, but keeps fumbling the mark
They both need to show something or will be gone next year

The moment we drafted him, I did think... this won't be good for Keane. I thought it would give Keane competition for the spot that will likely be opening soon. Do we see Dean as the roughy replacement, or would we need someone taller, and he could be like a third tall?
At this time I would see him as a third tall intercepting type defender, although with time he may gain the extra size needed to play KPD, Presti went alright as an undersize defender.

Perhaps, despite playing KPP in the VFL, we do see Dean as cover for Howe as an intercept defender/3rd tall?
He has displayed intercepting skills at VFL level and even at his early training at the Pies.

I assume though he was more part of the Roughead replacement plans.
Dean is listed as a Key Defender on the club website (like Roughead/Moore and Kreuger who I understand will play forward initially).
Howe by contrast is nominated as a Defender (like Maynard/Crisp/Quaynor/Noble/Madgen/Wilson - Murphy as a midfielder FYI.)
He's conceding height to Roughead and wouldn't have the same strength as a mature 200cm/98kg Roughead, but the Josh Kennedy and Tom Hawkins monster strong forward types appear to becoming fewer in any case.

Neither Tom Lynch, Jeremy Cameron, King Brothers are a strength that Dean couldn't have a crack at.
But he'd be conceding 5cm or so in height to all bar Cameron.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We certainly didn't recruit a ready made VFL player like Dean to only stick him in the 2's to develop, it's up to him now, should be in the 1st from day one.

He's developing depth. If Moore and Roughy have a clean bill of health all season, he'll struggle to get a gig.

When I picture the name Charlie Dean, I see a young man leaning with his back against a brick wall, one leg bent back with his heal touching the wall, head down and smoking a cigarette
distraught-man-smoking-cigarette-while-260nw-1908743632.jpg

I thought Ruscoe looked very good when moved to defence.
Seemed to have great composure and was one of our better users of the ball.
If he continues to improve, he'll be a lock for the back pocket/half back position.

Yep and one thing i like about Ruscoe is that he went away in the off season and improved his physique/fitness.

He's clearly got the dedication and now he just needs to seize the opportunities presented to him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back