Player Watch Charlie Dixon Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

The thought of our boy Charles being given more space to do what he does best by having another good forward to take some of the heat is delicious. The lad has worked his butt off all season for this club and his team and if what others are saying is true, then his talent has been wasted somewhat so far. I love our Jacko, he is Port through and through, but his position is in defence.

He's our best player by far
It could be heading that way. Was 'the man' yesterday v Doggies. Much as I object to having him play way up the ground the freedom seems to suit him.
I've often wondered exactly what a forwards coach does. But when I watch the difference in Dixon now from when we got him I realise I'm not as qualified to apply for the next vacancy as I had thought. Well done Brendon Lade et al.

It could be heading that way. Was 'the man' yesterday v Doggies. Much as I object to having him play way up the ground the freedom seems to suit him.
I've often wondered exactly what a forwards coach does. But when I watch the difference in Dixon now from when we got him I realise I'm not as qualified to apply for the next vacancy as I had thought. Well done Brendon Lade et al.

Yep he can take a big grab but that is only part of his value.

IMO his biggest value is he gives a s**t and lifts the whole side. He achieves this by throwing opposition around like a rag doll, getting the ball like a rover and dominating oppositions big men with strength. He also fist pumps with a war cry in success.

All of these acts lift the team and that's what leaders and great players do.

IMO his biggest value is he gives a s**t and lifts the whole side. He achieves this by throwing opposition around like a rag doll, getting the ball like a rover and dominating oppositions big men with strength. He also fist pumps with a war cry in success.

He's our barbarian.

A true leader and yes he gives a s**t and is so agile for his size. Passion, leadership, size and talent in the one bundle . Nice.

This.

Even in the Showdown when we were 90 points down he slammed a goal from 50 out and looked like he was still fighting for the side to win along with Robbie.

Yesterday he willed himself to every contest and may singlehandedly be the reason we finish top 4 in 2017.

On-field he's been like this from day one and off-field he's looked as happy as a clam since he first arrived. I don't know if he was the same at the GC, since I never saw much of him while he was playing there, or whether he's just much happier here at Port.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes we have hampered him, but he hasn't let us down.
As much as I'm annoyed that we haven't had a decent second tall to support him, it's also just as frustrating that we haven't crumbed well to him either. The failed perseverance with Impey is part of that. I hope Neade can maintain the clean hands that he seems to have at the moment, and work well with Dixon for the rest of this year.

On-field he's been like this from day one and off-field he's looked as happy as a clam since he first arrived. I don't know if he was the same at the GC, since I never saw much of him while he was playing there, or whether he's just much happier here at Port.

For me, he's the only one that looks like a captain (post boak).

For me, he's the only one that looks like a captain (post boak).
He's certainly got that presence on the field and even if he's not kicking goals he does team-lifting things, great tackles, second efforts etc. The players obviously love him. Would depend what he's like behind the scenes as well.

Can we finally put to bed any suggestion that we overpaid for Dixon (& Ryder). Has been stellar this year when given opportunity and support. Gun player that will win us a flag.

I'm happy Charlie will finally get to play finals. Love Chuck :hearts:

I await the day Craig Willis calls Charlie to the podium at the G in his best deep voice with that elongated pronunciation of Charlĺllllĺlllĺllie Dixxxxxxxxxxxxxon.

Amazing how even on an AFL field amidst ruckmen and other guys who are huge in their own right he just stands out so conspicuously as the beast. Something in the way he carries himself I reckon.

Is any other big man as fast or as agile as Dixon?

At his size and bulk? No. There's some pretty impressive ruck specimen like our own Paddy (lean and agile), Naitanui (ditto) & Stefan Martin (bulky & very athletic), but none quite combine that sheer commanding beastliness along with movement and football nous to the extent Charlie does. We are very lucky to have him.

The Suns do have a couple in Lynch and Wright that are in that same sort of mould of key forward but Wright is still learning his craft and Lynch hasn't had much fun with rising expectation and injury in 2017. If they can get their midfield sorted out then they will be very difficult to stop with those guys in full flight.

What an asset it is to have a bloke of his size work as tirelessly as he does. 13 contested possessions, 8 marks, 4 goals with a further 9 involvements... but above all of that; 26 pressure acts. The second most on the ground and more than any Bulldog. It's this that separates him from a lot of other key forwards in the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back