Player Watch Charlie Dixon Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Rooch has written a longish article about Dixon which seems to be split in 2. First part about how Dix isnt kicking goals and Ken backing him, but Charlie talks a lot about the club in the second half. Its his 50th game for Port tomorrow.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...s/news-story/9d499f1dba0da8885e867b500a5fabcc
DIXON’S GREATEST MOVE
CHARLIE Dixon’s personality - with such a dismissive tone towards the grand attention given to AFL players - makes him well suited to the Gold Coast rather than the football-devoted SA market. But after closing his count at 65 matches in the Suns’ five start-up seasons, Dixon has no regret in taking former Gold Coast assistant coach Ken Hinkley’s advice to follow him to Port Adelaide.

“It’s the best decision I ever made; it has been massive for me,” Dixon said. “I never look back. “Moving from Gold Coast took me out of my comfort zone. When I came to Port Adelaide, I had no-one other than Kenny. I had to grow up - and just learn how to play footy, week in, week out. “And the club has been massive in helping me do that and in managing my body,” added Dixon, who arrived at Alberton with question marks on his ankles after a troublesome run at Gold Coast.Dixon plays his 50th AFL game for Port Adelaide on Saturday - in the return to Shanghai against his former team-mates at Gold Coast - with China’s fascination with superstitions seeming to fit with the key forward’s gameday routine.
“I’m not too sure I have any superstitions anymore,” Dixon said. “I now go into a game with no-one dictating the way I am going to play football; nothing is going to dictate how I go about it. “It is my mindset. “Sometimes, if I feel I want to hear music, I will. But the AFL has taken our phones off us now (to protect integrity issues on gambling in football) as soon as we go into the changerooms ... that is a pain, but the AFL is going to do what they’re going to do.” Now in his third season at Port Adelaide, Dixon has admired the power of tradition - and understands why it is so cherished at Alberton.

“Culture is huge at Port Adelaide,” Dixon said. “Winning culture too. The Hall of Fame night at the start of the year was unbelievable. Seeing some of the old players - and hearing their stories of winning grand finals - it just makes you want to win to repay them and show we can live up to the club’s theme of existing to win premierships.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...s/news-story/9d499f1dba0da8885e867b500a5fabcc

Rooch has written a longish article about Dixon which seems to be split in 2. First part about how Dix isnt kicking goals and Ken backing him, but Charlie talks a lot about the club in the second half. Its his 50th game for Port tomorrow.

DIXON’S GREATEST MOVE
CHARLIE Dixon’s personality - with such a dismissive tone towards the grand attention given to AFL players - makes him well suited to the Gold Coast rather than the football-devoted SA market. But after closing his count at 65 matches in the Suns’ five start-up seasons, Dixon has no regret in taking former Gold Coast assistant coach Ken Hinkley’s advice to follow him to Port Adelaide.

“It’s the best decision I ever made; it has been massive for me,” Dixon said. “I never look back. “Moving from Gold Coast took me out of my comfort zone. When I came to Port Adelaide, I had no-one other than Kenny. I had to grow up - and just learn how to play footy, week in, week out. “And the club has been massive in helping me do that and in managing my body,” added Dixon, who arrived at Alberton with question marks on his ankles after a troublesome run at Gold Coast.Dixon plays his 50th AFL game for Port Adelaide on Saturday - in the return to Shanghai against his former team-mates at Gold Coast - with China’s fascination with superstitions seeming to fit with the key forward’s gameday routine.
“I’m not too sure I have any superstitions anymore,” Dixon said. “I now go into a game with no-one dictating the way I am going to play football; nothing is going to dictate how I go about it. “It is my mindset. “Sometimes, if I feel I want to hear music, I will. But the AFL has taken our phones off us now (to protect integrity issues on gambling in football) as soon as we go into the changerooms ... that is a pain, but the AFL is going to do what they’re going to do.” Now in his third season at Port Adelaide, Dixon has admired the power of tradition - and understands why it is so cherished at Alberton.

“Culture is huge at Port Adelaide,” Dixon said. “Winning culture too. The Hall of Fame night at the start of the year was unbelievable. Seeing some of the old players - and hearing their stories of winning grand finals - it just makes you want to win to repay them and show we can live up to the club’s theme of existing to win premierships.

just reading that sentence and images of Russell Ebert gliding through the midfield with his hand stretched out in front, threatening to handball, came flashing back.

To be fair, it's be pretty hard as a key forward the way we move the ball. Need to play the fast run and gun type footy that we've played in a couple of patches this year, consistently.

Isolate Charlie, deep in a conventional FF role and he'll come good. Very confidant of this.

Too often Charlie is the link man too far from goal to score himself. He's obviously playing to instructions in a role he's not yet truly comfortable with.

There's a lot more to his performances than just the number of goals kicked. That said, I'd love to see him in a more stay at home role, so he isn't totally stuffed when he does get a shot.

Still remember that game against Gold Coast when Dixon played for them but had pretty much already agreed to come to us.There was a scuffle and Dixon noped out of getting involved in it.

And then in the post game thread, Macca19 did a review of our players and included a sneaky one of Dixon

When he came back on in the last quarter after getting his knee strapped he started playing a bit angry crashing packs and bringing the ball to ground. A few Hawks looked nervous.

That's what we want from him. Use his size and strength and provide some intimidation factor. The goals will come with a bit of swagger.

Too often Charlie is the link man too far from goal to score himself. He's obviously playing to instructions in a role he's not yet truly comfortable with.

There's a lot more to his performances than just the number of goals kicked. That said, I'd love to see him in a more stay at home role, so he isn't totally stuffed when he does get a shot.
It's amazing - we get Watts who is perfect for a role leading out of the 50, turning around and delivering the ball inside 50. Logically, you think "alright, now we can keep Charlie closer to goal as a target." Instead, Ken has them both leading out of the 50, and delivering the ball to short people. We actually have a guy now who can help us fix our problems, and Ken still does things arse about face. It's infuriating.

Yesterday, he didn’t even bring the ball to ground. Frawley outmarked him on a couple of occasions and Sicily did as he pleased with his intercept marking.
And frawley was in poor form this year before us! Made to look like a star. Dixon season has been big F. He drops his bundle when free goes against him. Poison chalice been promoted to port leadership group...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's amazing - we get Watts who is perfect for a role leading out of the 50, turning around and delivering the ball inside 50. Logically, you think "alright, now we can keep Charlie closer to goal as a target." Instead, Ken has them both leading out of the 50, and delivering the ball to short people. We actually have a guy now who can help us fix our problems, and Ken still does things arse about face. It's infuriating.

I haven't looked at tog stats but Ken seems to take Watts off the ground a bit. That was understandable when Marshall was in the forward line too but undersizes us again otherwise. And it's not as if Watts isn't very athletic, mobile and quick.

Why not? we have Westhoff who can play that half forward role as well (see North game), and we use him as a defensive wingman.

Yep, so frustrating. On paper, Motlop and Watts were the perfect players to plug into roles that we had nobody else to fill and help fix our forward line woes, but then they get here and they’re deployed in shitty nondescript roles just like everyone else is.

Last year I was prepared to put our s**t game plan down to personnel, and hoped that with these additions we’d be able to sort out our forward movement and hit a few more targets inside 50. Now we have the personnel but the game plan hasn’t improved. Now it’s entirely on Ken.

I posted this in the match day thread but I think it's time people stop making excuses for Charlie. He hasn't been good enough this year - hasn't marked the football as well as he would've liked, hasn't finished in front of goal as well as he would've liked, and just generally hasn't been the presence he was last year.

I'm happy to back him in (it's not like we've got any alternatives) but the team really needs him to lift if we are to do anything at all over the next 12 weeks.

I posted this in the match day thread but I think it's time people stop making excuses for Charlie. He hasn't been good enough this year - hasn't marked the football as well as he would've liked, hasn't finished in front of goal as well as he would've liked, and just generally hasn't been the presence he was last year.

I'm happy to back him in (it's not like we've got any alternatives) but the team really needs him to lift if we are to do anything at all over the next 12 weeks.
I’m gonna go a step further and say he’s been wholly disappointing since we landed him. This is his third season with us now and other than a few brief patches he’s struggled to score goals and impact games when we’ve needed him to. Our current gameplay does him no favours but i’m Also sick of the excuses

Misfiring (and misused) on field, but can't deny he's fully bought into the club. Wearing the Merchandise, even in a non-footy setting / post.
I hadn't noticed until you've mentioned it. Even the shorts!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back