Certified Legendary Thread China History in the Making

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the question Papa G It's a good one, and I'll do my best to reply without upsetting anyone too much at the Club. They'll be watching.

Firstly, I believe that the $2 million mentioned by Rucci is in addition to that pledged by Mr Gui, whose starring role at the MCG this Saturday is PAFC's doing, with the support of AFL House. As Rucci indicates, the AFL is coming on board at a quicker and more committed rate. It's been hard going for KT and Andrew Hunter, but that's not a bad thing. What comes easy with regard to China is not to be trusted.

Yes, China is going to be huge and hugely positive in the medium to long term ... provided rails stay on tracks, naturally.

But let's look back at how this started. It began for me in 2013 via BigFooty and the revelation about Peter Chant. In 2013 my focus, on behalf of the Club, was to assist identification of a $1 million per year sponsor or partner or whatever. That's all. That's all? Goodness me, in 2013 that was big! Look what's happened since. Snowballsville. Ever tried to catch up with a snowball? I've neither done that, nor tried, but I believe it's nigh on impossible.

For a sales campaign to succeed, four planets have to align: 1) The right product; 2) The right market; 3) The right sales and management team; 4) The right timing. 1), 2) and 4) I would today give 10 out of 10, while 3) fluctuates between 1 and 10 and is still a work in progress with regard to the most effective structure.

Yes, as you say, I got irritated a few months back. More than irritated. I had a meltdown. PAFC in China meant that much to me. It meant too much to me. The upshot was my health took a wrong turn, and BigFooty was too easy a place for me to vent. I have said sorry, no need to do so again. My health has improved, alcohol consumption has reduced to one evening a week, and I've started writing a book about my life. PAFC in China will be the final chapter, the finale, in the form of the ANZAC Centenary bash at Hong Kong Football Club on 30 April last year, at which I had half a dozen of Peter Chant's mates at my table. What happens after that is out of my hands.

I won't comment specifically on 'certain big players within the club' as that will make me even less popular than I already am. But I will point out that it takes a helluva big hop skip and jump to make it from Port Adelaide to Hong Kong to Guangzhou to Shanghai / Beijing, and it takes a committed and co-ordinated team to get there. Not just get there, but get there ahead of everyone else in a race the others are not even aware has started.

There are members of the team who are at their shiny brightest and most contributory at the 'hop' stage, others at 'step' and so on. For the 'jump' stage we couldn't have anyone better on the team than Andrew Hunter. He's been incredible. Nobody but nobody else could have done what he's done for PAFC and the AFL. He's written his ticket to a fantastic future for him, his wife Sally, and their children to come. Again, congrats.

However, the success of the jumpers can, if people are not careful, make the hoppers and steppers envious. The success of the steppers can make the hoppers envious and the jumpers impatient. The success of the hoppers can make ... well, nobody cares about them. They are there to get things started, and that's where they should stop.

This afternoon, I've been told, Ollie Wines and Dougal Howard land in Hong Kong for Grand Final weekend. My one evening a week booze rule could be facing the same sort of challenge as when Russell Ebert and the Toms landed back in 2013.

I love my Club. I love my President. I love my CEO. I love all the GMs with whom I've worked. I love all the managers, all the staff, all the players and all the present and past legends. But none of them, none of us, are perfect. A few of us have yet to wake up to that and dispense with the spin and bullshit, the show biz attitude, the slipping of standards, the climbing, the immature guarding of turf, the taking for granted and using of people outside the bubble of the Club....
Every AFL club has those imperfections. We have to work on fixing ours better and quicker than the other 17.
Do that, and we'll win our next premiership. Nothing surer.

Now, where are Ollie and Doogs? I hope the weather didn't screw with their take-off.
Nice LR..always enjoy hearing such insight from someone who has been there from the beginning. Enjoy catching up with Ollie Dougie Tom and Bobby. Very proud of this club. It has bitten off a lot and I look forward to the outcome. Also I agree Andrew Hunter very impressive person.

Thanks for the question Papa G It's a good one, and I'll do my best to reply without upsetting anyone too much at the Club. They'll be watching.

Firstly, I believe that the $2 million mentioned by Rucci is in addition to that pledged by Mr Gui, whose starring role at the MCG this Saturday is PAFC's doing, with the support of AFL House. As Rucci indicates, the AFL is coming on board at a quicker and more committed rate. It's been hard going for KT and Andrew Hunter, but that's not a bad thing. What comes easy with regard to China is not to be trusted.

Yes, China is going to be huge and hugely positive in the medium to long term ... provided rails stay on tracks, naturally.

But let's look back at how this started. It began for me in 2013 via BigFooty and the revelation about Peter Chant. In 2013 my focus, on behalf of the Club, was to assist identification of a $1 million per year sponsor or partner or whatever. That's all. That's all? Goodness me, in 2013 that was big! Look what's happened since. Snowballsville. Ever tried to catch up with a snowball? I've neither done that, nor tried, but I believe it's nigh on impossible.

For a sales campaign to succeed, four planets have to align: 1) The right product; 2) The right market; 3) The right sales and management team; 4) The right timing. 1), 2) and 4) I would today give 10 out of 10, while 3) fluctuates between 1 and 10 and is still a work in progress with regard to the most effective structure.

Yes, as you say, I got irritated a few months back. More than irritated. I had a meltdown. PAFC in China meant that much to me. It meant too much to me. The upshot was my health took a wrong turn, and BigFooty was too easy a place for me to vent. I have said sorry, no need to do so again. My health has improved, alcohol consumption has reduced to one evening a week, and I've started writing a book about my life. PAFC in China will be the final chapter, the finale, in the form of the ANZAC Centenary bash at Hong Kong Football Club on 30 April last year, at which I had half a dozen of Peter Chant's mates at my table. What happens after that is out of my hands.

I won't comment specifically on 'certain big players within the club' as that will make me even less popular than I already am. But I will point out that it takes a helluva big hop skip and jump to make it from Port Adelaide to Hong Kong to Guangzhou to Shanghai / Beijing, and it takes a committed and co-ordinated team to get there. Not just get there, but get there ahead of everyone else in a race the others are not even aware has started.

There are members of the team who are at their shiny brightest and most contributory at the 'hop' stage, others at 'step' and so on. For the 'jump' stage we couldn't have anyone better on the team than Andrew Hunter. He's been incredible. Nobody but nobody else could have done what he's done for PAFC and the AFL. He's written his ticket to a fantastic future for him, his wife Sally, and their children to come. Again, congrats.

However, the success of the jumpers can, if people are not careful, make the hoppers and steppers envious. The success of the steppers can make the hoppers envious and the jumpers impatient. The success of the hoppers can make ... well, nobody cares about them. They are there to get things started, and that's where they should stop.

This afternoon, I've been told, Ollie Wines and Dougal Howard land in Hong Kong for Grand Final weekend. My one evening a week booze rule could be facing the same sort of challenge as when Russell Ebert and the Toms landed back in 2013.

I love my Club. I love my President. I love my CEO. I love all the GMs with whom I've worked. I love all the managers, all the staff, all the players and all the present and past legends. But none of them, none of us, are perfect. A few of us have yet to wake up to that and dispense with the spin and bullshit, the show biz attitude, the slipping of standards, the climbing, the immature guarding of turf, the taking for granted and using of people outside the bubble of the Club....
Every AFL club has those imperfections. We have to work on fixing ours better and quicker than the other 17.

Now, where are Ollie and Doogs? I hope the weather didn't screw with their take-off.

Enjoyed that read LR.

Just for noting I'll at the clubrooms the day you hold your book signing.

Nice LR..always enjoy hearing such insight from someone who has been there from the beginning. Enjoy catching up with Ollie Dougie Tom and Bobby. Very proud of this club. It has bitten off a lot and I look forward to the outcome. Also I agree Andrew Hunter very impressive person.

Bobby and TJ - for some reason I can't bring myself to call him the Hitman any more - are in Shanghai for the weekend.

We have two players in each of two cities in China at the same time, on official business. Must be some sort of record.

From the Advertiser article that LR didn't quote.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...n/news-story/503dff72b04ed5e76f0b5209916cccbd
The China game will be played:

IN mid-to-late May. It is now likely to be a Sunday afternoon match (Sunday twilight in Australia) — rather than the original plan of a Saturday night.
AT the 1930s open “colosseum” Jiangwan Stadium that hosted the 2010 AFL exhibition match between Melbourne and Brisbane.
AGAINST Gold Coast that has beaten four other AFL contenders.
AS the first of at least three and possibly five annual games in China.

WITH Port Adelaide having locked sponsors to underwrite $2 million of the $4 million budget for the game.
Port Adelaide will build the match as part of an “Australia Day” program in Shanghai. There will be a food, travel and education expo linked to the match. The formal announcement of the game is being delayed until next month to ensure high-profile government officials from both China and Australia are part of the event.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...n/news-story/503dff72b04ed5e76f0b5209916cccbd

Last edited:
From the Advertiser artile that LR idint quote.

IN mid-to-late May. It is now likely to be a Sunday afternoon match (Sunday twilight in Australia) — rather than the original plan of a Saturday night.
AT the 1930s open “colosseum” Jiangwan Stadium that hosted the 2010 AFL exhibition match between Melbourne and Brisbane.

WITH Port Adelaide having locked sponsors to underwrite $2 million of the $4 million budget for the game.
Port Adelaide will build the match as part of an “Australia Day” program in Shanghai. There will be a food, travel and education expo linked to the match. The formal announcement of the game is being delayed until next month to ensure high-profile government officials from both China and Australia are part of the event.

'idint' = idiot? :eek: Spot on. inB4 everyone else.

Both the club and this board are better places for your involvement Lockhart Road . Those of us fortunate enough to have met you will unconditionally vouch for your professional and selfless work for the club as well as your engaging and generous nature. Glad to hear you are feeling better and look forward to your continued contributions to the club and this board.

When things took a turn, I was sure something was not going right with you at the time as it was out of character for you, who is normally pretty calm and collected. I assure you I've never doubted your contributions, passion and I've certainly never doubted the potential of the China mission, but it's a long road and we're committed. I'm very happy to hear you are feeling better and I look forward to you continuing your stay here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both the club and this board are better places for your involvement Lockhart Road . Those of us fortunate enough to have met you will unconditionally vouch for your professional and selfless work for the club as well as your engaging and generous nature. Glad to hear you are feeling better and look forward to your continued contributions to the club and this board.

Thank you, Ford. Now what about Steele?

When things took a turn, I was sure something was not going right with you at the time as it was out of character for you, who is normally pretty calm and collected. I assure you I've never doubted your contributions, passion and I've certainly never doubted the potential of the China mission, but it's a long road and we're committed. I'm very happy to hear you are feeling better and I look forward to you continuing your stay here.

Thank you, too, Doctor. It wasn't my finest hour, but it's in the past.

kochie_online
My grandkids providing the welcoming party for @wines16 & @dougalhoward PAFC at Hong Kong airport. Plus the album of footy cards pic.twitter.com/EpJ0CxpuQF
29/09/2016 18:35

View attachment 294384

Kochie's grandson looks a lot like him.

As we speak, Ollie and Doogs are in a very Chinese place in Wanchai called Wooloomooloo.

From the Advertiser article that LR didn't quote.

Regardless of the overall financial outcome, I love the fact that we're striving to achieve a stretch goal like this. Considering the strides it appears we are making I think it has already been a successful venture and we're on a path that has great potential.

Does a possible Sunday twilight timeslot mean this ends up 'just another' Foxtel game, or has the success of the latest prelim shown Channel 7 even a couple of teams with small supporter bases can still bring the eyes onto themselves if there's a spectacle to be had?

So, Lin Jong from the Bulldogs is still weighing up his options with a possible move to GCS. I wonder if they are after him for his Chinese heritage as well as his talent. Would look good for them having a Chinese AFL player in their team in Shanghai next year when they play us. That plus their Geurnsey colour might get them a few Chinese supporters. For that matter, I would hope we are into him too.

So, Lin Jong from the Bulldogs is still weighing up his options with a possible move to GCS. I wonder if they are after him for his Chinese heritage as well as his talent. Would look good for them having a Chinese AFL player in their team in Shanghai next year when they play us. That plus their Geurnsey colour might get them a few Chinese supporters. For that matter, I would hope we are into him too.

I thought Jong's family were from Taiwan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back