Certified Legendary Thread China History in the Making

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nope, most likely a false lead from MMM yet again.
Was this a Triple M exclusive?

They are paying the Crers tens of thousands of dollars for the rights to make exclusive media announcements for them. Does Dittmar think that that includes Ports? He seems to have difficulty telling the clubs apart.

Sorry but this is just not realistic.

All the available space at either end of the ground has already been dedicated to temporary seating and high (potentially very high) yielding corporate areas. There just simply isn't any more room.

So short of going to the ridiculous expense of engineering a second tier on the temporary grandstands we're at capacity.
Ok, thanks for explaining that

What's this ditmar I keep hearing about?
Tuesday morning he said the China experiment is paying off big time and we have another announcement to make from the China move which will be another big win for Port. He said that the announcement would likely happen today. Obviously it didn't.

I'm going to consider he was probably wrong and the sponsorship I was hoping for aint coming.

Sorry but this is just not realistic.

All the available space at either end of the ground has already been dedicated to temporary seating and high (potentially very high) yielding corporate areas. There just simply isn't any more room.

So short of going to the ridiculous expense of engineering a second tier on the temporary grandstands we're at capacity.

This is why they asked for expression of interest in tickets on the very first day that the match was announced so that they could judge the numbers of fans travelling over for the game.
It is also why they encouraged people to buy packages through a specific agent.

IF 15-20K had registered, then the club would have set up the grandstands to accommodate at least the majority of these.

This is the reason that they made it clear in the email to not post the link publically so that those that registered had the very best chance to purchase tickets.

Ben D mentioned last night that the club "hopes" and is fairly confident that there will be a second release of tickets - but, if I didn't have my tickets - I would be pretty concerned after hearing him speak.

He also said to give him a call at the club - to me, this sounded like he may have a few tickets available to him (maybe from Tee Lee Travel) and he might be able to help... I WOULD CALL HIM ASAP!

Do you think the Footy Show would make an effort to take the show to China? If they can take the show to Germany 2006 where they really had no place to be there, surely they can make an effort to do a show in China promoting AFL, the football code it needs to showcase. At the same time promoting their show even further in China.

just throwing it out there...

Do you think the Footy Show would make an effort to take the show to China? If they can take the show to Germany 2006 where they really had no place to be there, surely they can make an effort to do a show in China promoting AFL, the football code it needs to showcase. At the same time promoting their show even further in China.

The last thing this venture needs is for those arseclowns to be involved in any capacity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ugh, that disgrace of a show would just embarrass us and ruin relations. I can just imagine Sam doing man on the street and getting arrested.

The last thing this venture needs is for those arseclowns to be involved in any capacity.

Ugh, that disgrace of a show would just embarrass us and ruin relations. I can just imagine Sam doing man on the street and getting arrested.

I hear ya's.... tell us what you really think then.

Tuesday morning he said the China experiment is paying off big time and we have another announcement to make from the China move which will be another big win for Port. He said that the announcement would likely happen today. Obviously it didn't.

I'm going to consider he was probably wrong and the sponsorship I was hoping for aint coming.
It doesn't have to be another sponsorship. Think bigger.

Last edited:

Definitely. The extremely culturally sensitive Sam Newman doing Street Talk in Shanghai would be a great thing for the game and Ports. :rolleyes:

It doesn't have to be another sponsorship. Think bigger.

Several high-profile Chinese businesses have also joined Port Adelaide’s Open to the World campaign as significant partners, with a further premium partner to join in the coming days.

Port Adelaide’s chief executive officer Keith Thomas and general manager of China Engagement and government relations Andrew Hunter have been invited to the Prime Minister’s official reception for Premier Li and Madame Chong Hong on Thursday in Canberra. Mr Thomas will also attend the Australia China Economic and Trade Cooperation Forum (ACETCF) in Sydney on Friday .

Port Adelaide CEO Keith Thomas:

“We have known about the attendance of Premier Li for some time. It is great that it has been announced in the national media today.

“Although we seek a commercial benefit from our strategy to engage with China, we are aware that sport has a great potential to enhance diplomatic relations. Football, as a quintessentially Australian endeavour and a window into our culture, can play a significant role.

“When Port Adelaide supporters see what happens both on and off the field on Saturday, they will walk even taller and will be pretty excited by what lay ahead in 2017 and beyond.”

I'm going to guess that it's part of China's One Belt, One Road strategy. Simply because this is happening at the same time as our match in Shanghai is on...and that Ciobo was part of the Tourism Australia announcement.

Trade and Investment Minister Steven Ciobo is set to join a Belt and Road summit chaired by President Xi Jinping in Beijing in May.
One Belt, One Road is China's diplomatic strategy for the Asian region.

Formally, OBOR emphasises five key areas of cooperation:

• coordinating development policies
  • forging infrastructure and facilities networks
  • strengthening investment and trade relations
  • enhancing financial cooperation and
  • deepening social and cultural exchanges.

So let's say that it's an official endorsement from the Chinese Premier that Port Adelaide is a cultural ambassador to China as a representative of the AFL or some such. Which basically would mean that Port Adelaide becomes 'China's team' - which is why KT has known about the attendance of Premier Li 'for some time' - and probably why we are starting the season in Sydney.

That big enough? :D

I'm going to guess that it's part of China's One Belt, One Road strategy. Simply because this is happening at the same time as our match in Shanghai is on...and that Ciobo was part of the Tourism Australia announcement.
So let's say that it's an official endorsement from the Chinese Premier that Port Adelaide is a cultural ambassador to China as a representative of the AFL or some such. Which basically would mean that Port Adelaide becomes 'China's team' - which is why KT has known about the attendance of Premier Li 'for some time' - and probably why we are starting the season in Sydney.
That big enough? :D
Like your thinking .. you never know, that might be it :D

from Janus' quote of KT from some article

“When Port Adelaide supporters see what happens both on and off the field on Saturday, they will walk even taller and will be pretty excited by what lay ahead in 2017 and beyond.”

So I assume that means some pre game announcement on Saturday.

That was classic Ch9 attempt at guerrilla marketing. Ch 9 sent both the AFL and NRL footy show teams there because they knew their would be enormous interest back in Oz because of the Socceroos first appearance at a world cup in 32 years. They tried to piggy back off the Socceroos and huge interest in how they would go. Why didn't they do the same thing in South Africa in 2010 or Brazil 2014?? Because it wouldn't have the same impact as first time in 32 years did.

Your not going to get these sorts of numbers in China to justify the cost.

http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/finding-4037-201302270255
The Footy Show’s plan to snare some of the television soccer market paid off on Sunday night when 4.133 million (25%) Australians aged 14 and over tuned in to watch the first ever show from Germany. However, of those 4.133 million, only 671,000 said they watched “all” of the Footy Show, 864,000 said they watched “three-quarters”, 1.025 million “about half”, 703,000 “a quarter”, and 871,000 “very little”, a special Roy Morgan telephone survey finds.

The joint AFL-NRL Footy Show broadcast from Germany on Sunday night attracted an audience of 4.133 million — 25% of Australians aged 14 and over. Unfortunately, however, many lost interest! “Interestingly, slightly more women (25% - 2.156 million) than men (24% - 1.977 million) watched the Footy Show. “Of interest to advertisers will be the significantly higher recall of major sponsors compared to the recall of products intermittently advertised during the show.”
http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/finding-4037-201302270255

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back