Certified Legendary Thread China History in the Making

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Rucci's Reality Bites in today's The Advertiser;

"Oliveball

PORT Adelaide’s Chinese adventure continues to deepen far beyond the original thought of “moving out a crowded Australian market” to find new sponsorship dollars. Club chief executive Keith Thomas has returned from his latest trip to Hong Kong and Shanghai with even grander hopes of having Australian football introduced to more and more Chinese schools. So far, Port Adelaide has its “Power Footy” program in 15 schools, adding another two in Shanghai, during this week’s trip. There is hope to take this reach to 100 schools.

But there was an interesting challenge in explaining to the Chinese authorities just what game Australian football is.

“When we registered the program 18 months ago we could not say it was soccer nor rugby,” Thomas said. “We settled on Australian Oliveball. And the schoolkids are enthusiastically embracing the game.”

We did in 2016, not sure about now.

KT can say many words about the future of the sport in China as a whole, but we are also aiming at nurturing PORT'S BARRACKERS there. It is important to be seen...

P.S.: GWS is also Canberra's team; Hawthorn has Lauceston; NM, Hobart; and Western, Ballarat. We want to become Shanghai's local AFL team.

Last edited:
Spent the weekend at the MotoGP in Phillip Island and got talking to a chap who lives in Hong Kong. He went to the game in Shanghai and said it was brilliantly done. Another thing he told me was that the ground could hold more people but that the local government has very strict limits on numbers at large gatherings. He reckons they capped it at around 10,000. Also said there was a huge police presence. Thats why it looked kind of empty in sections on the TV. I'm guessing it's something the club didnt make public because they didn't want to rock the boat.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mr Gui looking great wearing the PAFC tie. Also like the seating arrangements. It's pretty clear this is our venture and GC only a casual participant
GC if they have acquired any sense will spend less time worrying about jumpers and realise even as the junior partner they can make this worthwhile. They pissed a great opportunity down the drain last year.

deflecting AFL attempts to make it look like the Gold Coast Show in their promotions?
Or SA government trying to brand everything with Adelaide and SA all over it when the game is on.

19th May is a Saturday so should be a 4.40 EST start or 2.40 Shanghai time. Saturday arvo game and then kick on Saturday night. The club has to organise a post game event this year.

Good opportunity for us to hold Tom Lynch hostage, I mean, hey how's it going?

19th May is a Saturday so should be a 4.40 EST start or 2.40 Shanghai time. Saturday arvo game and then kick on Saturday night. The club has to organise a post game event this year.

I'm still recovering from the pregame event you organised last time.

I'm still recovering from the pregame event you organised last time.
Thats why we need the club to organise a more sedate post game Saturday night than the pre game Saturday night Port Woolwich organised this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back