Certified Legendary Thread China History in the Making

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purely for little more than gossip value, it would be interesting to understand why Tony Cochrane, a mega wealthy man after selling V8 SuperCars would become involved in a floundering AFL footy club.

Maybe because he built V8 racing into a mega business. Who knows - just musing but that takes us way off topic.
He's South Aussie so he has footy in the blood. Is related to the Cochrane's who have played for Centrals over the last 40 odd years. Has lived on the GC for 30 odd years and I guess at a loose end and wanting to see his home town have a successful AFL team he said yes. He was on the board before he was chairman, I reckon was on there when GC were given the AFL licence. My colleague is a mate of his, so if I remember I will confirm that tomorrow when I see him.

He's South Aussie so he has footy in the blood. Is related to the Cochrane's who have played for Centrals over the last 40 odd years. Has lived on the GC for 30 odd years and I guess at a loose end and wanting to see his home town have a successful AFL team he said yes. He was on the board before he was chairman, I reckon was on there when GC were given the AFL licence. My colleague is a mate of his, so if I remember I will confirm that tomorrow when I see him.
I put your maximum degrees of separation with any random Aussie at about 2

I put your maximum degrees of separation with any random Aussie at about 2
Haha. My colleague is 1 degree of separation from so many interesting people in government, business, industry, academia etc that I can probably meet your target.

Better than nothing and better than Huawei being banned from the 5G Network rollout which was buried in the leadership battle in Canberra, but passed by the National Security Committee, so Dutton, Turbull, Mossison and Bishop all agreed on this at least. Oh well Suns might need to find a new technology partner.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/busi...d/news-story/ca7e2dc974e85e14128ec473a5c87989

ANOTHER black and white (and teal) connection - potentially worth millions - is being forged between SA and China’s Sichuan region, the birthplace of Adelaide Zoo residents and Australia’s only giant pandas Wang Wang and Funi. The Port Adelaide Football Club has received $60,000 funding from the Australia China Council, an arm of the Federal Government’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, to extend its footy program into schools in the Sichuan province. The seed funding, which is being matched by private sponsors, especially in China, will allow the club to run the schools-based program in the region until 2020.

Power Footy features two components: a weekly football lesson delivered as an after school activity or as part of the physical education curriculum and a series of digital materials which describe and explain Australia’s history, culture and lifestyle, delivered through Wechat groups to participating students.
PAFC’s China Engagement general manager Andrew Hunter said the program uses the sport of Australian rules football as “an instrument of intercultural exchange” between the two countries. “An agreement is now being discussed that would potentially result in 100 Power Footy graduates going to the University of Adelaide each year..................... Power Footy is currently available to 4000 students in 21 schools in China’s Shanghai, Guangdong Province and Anhui Province. The club wants to expand the program to 100 schools in China by 2020, the 150th anniversary of the club, as it continues to build on its engagement with the country. Port Adelaide Football Club is the only AFL club actively promoting footy and building sponsorship ties directly in China. In May this year, Shanghai backer, real estate tycoon Gui Guojie, announced a multimillion dollar boost for the club’s strategy, which will see it run at least until 2023...........The club will expand the program to schools in the Zhejiang Province in the 2018-2019 Chinese school year.......
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/busi...d/news-story/ca7e2dc974e85e14128ec473a5c87989

Better than nothing and better than Huawei being banned from the 5G Network rollout which was buried in the leadership battle in Canberra, but passed by the National Security Committee, so Dutton, Turbull, Mossison and Bishop all agreed on this at least. Oh well Suns might need to find a new technology partner.

ANOTHER black and white (and teal) connection - potentially worth millions - is being forged between SA and China’s Sichuan region, the birthplace of Adelaide Zoo residents and Australia’s only giant pandas Wang Wang and Funi. The Port Adelaide Football Club has received $60,000 funding from the Australia China Council, an arm of the Federal Government’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, to extend its footy program into schools in the Sichuan province. The seed funding, which is being matched by private sponsors, especially in China, will allow the club to run the schools-based program in the region until 2020.

Power Footy features two components: a weekly football lesson delivered as an after school activity or as part of the physical education curriculum and a series of digital materials which describe and explain Australia’s history, culture and lifestyle, delivered through Wechat groups to participating students.
PAFC’s China Engagement general manager Andrew Hunter said the program uses the sport of Australian rules football as “an instrument of intercultural exchange” between the two countries. “An agreement is now being discussed that would potentially result in 100 Power Footy graduates going to the University of Adelaide each year..................... Power Footy is currently available to 4000 students in 21 schools in China’s Shanghai, Guangdong Province and Anhui Province. The club wants to expand the program to 100 schools in China by 2020, the 150th anniversary of the club, as it continues to build on its engagement with the country. Port Adelaide Football Club is the only AFL club actively promoting footy and building sponsorship ties directly in China. In May this year, Shanghai backer, real estate tycoon Gui Guojie, announced a multimillion dollar boost for the club’s strategy, which will see it run at least until 2023...........The club will expand the program to schools in the Zhejiang Province in the 2018-2019 Chinese school year.......
Port Adelaide Football club. Making South Australia proud.

We have a new minister for trade - SA senator Simon Birmingham has taken over from Steve Ciobo who is from the Gold Coast.

Dont know who he barracks for but probably easier to lobby someone from Adelaide for continued and more funding than someone from an eastern state.

We have a new minister for trade - SA senator Simon Birmingham has taken over from Steve Ciobo who is from the Gold Coast.

Dont know who he barracks for but probably easier to lobby someone from Adelaide for continued and more funding than someone from an eastern state.
Birmingham is a Crow.

Think he's notionally a Norwood fan but don't think he has any real interest in sport.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes Birmingham does follow the Crows. He was behind me in a taxi rank at last year’s Showdown (our home game), decked out in his scarf.

So he'd also he a relation of our very own Stuart Cochrane then.

During his ABC Grandstand ‘grilling’ before our round 23 exit, el presidente - when quizzed none-too-seriously on jumper colours for Shanghai 2019 and his ex-mateship with Tony Cochrane - said: “If Tony is in Shanghai next year it will be as a spectator.” It wafted thru to the keeper.

Early this week, this appeared in the media thread on the Saints board:

The 2019 China game is locked in, according to Tom Morris | (link: http://bit.ly/2LwUBfP) bit.ly/2LwUBfP |

Last edited:
Gold Coast Bulletin, 2 Sept. 2018

KOCHIE’S (PUERILE) 2017-2018 SHANGHAI MATCH LEGACY CALLED OUT

‘SUNS chairman Tony Cochrane has announced the club’s decision in regards to their potential involvement in the 2019 AFL premiership game in China.

‘Gold Coast have told the AFL they have no interest in returning to Shanghai in 2019 after playing two fixtures against Port Adelaide in the past two seasons.

“ (2018) was our last foray to China,” Cochrane announced at the club’s club champion awards on Saturday night.

“The board have decided that to give the playing group every possible chance in the future that the trip is too onerous and too difficult.

“We have stepped away from repeating the trip again to China and we will leave the Port Adelaide chairman (David Koch) to argue with someone else about the colour of their jumper.”’

https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.a...e/news-story/3b31d8371d9406de355f35598140256a

—————
Having been involved in my Club’s China venture from the start in 2013, I am sad, and angry, that this is what PAFC and in particular my club chairman will primarily be remembered for by the opposition club who ventured to China with us (and by much of the market in general) after the first two Shanghai games.

Suck this up Kochie, go sit in a corner, hold up a mirror ... and start brutally reviewing yourself.
And learn, damn you ... learn!
Damn quickly.

Last edited:

‘SUNS chairman Tony Cochrane has announced the club’s decision in regards to their potential involvement in the 2019 AFL premiership game in China.

‘Gold Coast have told the AFL they have no interest in returning to Shanghai in 2019 after playing two fixtures against Port Adelaide in the past two seasons.

“ (2018) was our last foray to China,” Cochrane announced at the club’s club champion awards on Saturday night.

“The board have decided that to give the playing group every possible chance in the future that the trip is too onerous and too difficult.

“We have stepped away from repeating the trip again to China and we will leave the Port Adelaide chairman (David Koch) to argue with someone else about the colour of their jumper.”’

https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.a...e/news-story/3b31d8371d9406de355f35598140256a

—————
Having been involved in my Club’s China venture from the start in 2013, I am sad, and angry, that this is what PAFC and in particular my club chairman will primarily be remembered for by the opposition club who ventured to China with us (and by much of the market in general) after the first two Shanghai games.

Suck this up Kochie, go sit in a corner, hold up a mirror ... and start brutally reviewing yourself.
Damn quickly.
Koch was a dick, but there's a lot of Cochrane using it as an excuse for them not willing to do any hard yards, just taking the cash and running here though.

—————

Damn quickly.
Koch should do that, because he let the opportunity open for such a cheap shot, but Cochrane is probably mad for reasons unsaid. "Those who disdain; they want to buy" is an old Brazilian saying. Cochrane was left out of the party and is shouting "I didn't want to go anyway!"

—————

Damn quickly.
They're a bunch of sooks. They should be greatful for the opportunity. The commonwealth games and their s**t list is why they lost so many games after the China game.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-02/gold-coast-not-keen-on-a-return-to-china
This year, it also lost the next seven matches after returning from China, despite the aid of the bye immediately after its return.

The fixture has struggled to create enthusiasm in Shanghai, with lack of local engagement and poor attendance.

It remains to be seen whether Port Adelaide will find another opponent to repeat the match in 2019.

Article written by Ben McKay.

What a cynical article. Game was a sellout and we have several clubs interested in 2019. What a numpty. Also i would say we have told Gold Coast we arn't interested in having them play in 2019 not the other way round.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-02/gold-coast-not-keen-on-a-return-to-china
This year, it also lost the next seven matches after returning from China, despite the aid of the bye immediately after its return.

The fixture has struggled to create enthusiasm in Shanghai, with lack of local engagement and poor attendance.

It remains to be seen whether Port Adelaide will find another opponent to repeat the match in 2019.

Article written by Ben McKay.

What a cynical article. Game was a sellout and we have several clubs interested in 2019. What a numpty. Also i would say we have told Gold Coast we arn't interested in having them play in 2019 not the other way round.
This piece appears on afl.com.au which is the mouthpiece of AFL House.
Gillon has made public his preference for playing AFLX in China and Hong Kong over traditional-format annual match/es for premiership points.
Gillon likes to try to keep things simple and be seen as a leader not a follower for long of any PAFC venture.
Our chairman has, without being awake to the danger, clumsily assisted Gillon’s strategy; that’s how I read it.

There is an empty chair at the PAFC boardroom table. The chairman has announced a review of the board. To me this should mean that someone has been chosen to fill that chair - someone who, if commonsense is applied, will have experience essential to 1) physically assisting the Club with the next phase of our China venture and 2) counteract our chairman’s efforts to make the task harder than it has needed to be with him playing the superior being and collecting enemies along the way.
Commonsense? Don’t hold your breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back