List Mgmt. Club greats - time to say goodbye

Remove this Banner Ad

Would you be happy for jack to play twos like roughy did in his last year?
I think Jacks still preforming...but maybe they could use players to help develop kids with the soft cap changes?
Isnt it if your a veteran and ten years at the club your contract is valued differently in the salary cap?
I think I remember something about that..?

Cotch was decent on the weekend, he's had very little continuity in his football this year and when he has strung a few together at somewhere near match fitness it's often been in very depleted lineups. There's definitely a role for him next year, I expect our midfield to look a fair bit different, the coaching staff are no doubt well aware we've been smashed all year in the centre and at stoppages and rejuvenating it will be a massive area of focus in the off-season.

We're a much better side when Shai can play serious time through the middle and isn't carrying injury, with any luck Meatball can be better managed next year, hopefully Dusty can get his running back on track - moving like he was pre-season which really only lasted a handful of games into the season proper before he started carrying foot and leg niggles.

Importantly, I'm sure RCD will work his arse off over a longer pre-season and be much closer to running out full games, he's the youngster closest to giving us the boost in clearance power we desperately need. If we manage to snatch a mid with good enough athleticism to contribute immediately that will help, if we don't it's probably because we've snagged a mature type who can add a lot to the mix. A few of our flankers will no doubt get their opportunity to show they can seriously cut it in the midfield over pre-season and I'm optimistic one or two may surprise, Baker perhaps the most likely to succeed (he'd gain a lot from doing a pre-season as a mid rather than a defender), but there's numerous others with claims.

Given the opportunity to be managed with weeks off, Cotch is still going to be valuable - the key is getting our depth back and allowing him to enjoy his football again.

Astbury has been not far off his best football the last couple of weeks, very rarely beaten now he's gained some match fitness and he's certainly put his hand up to play on. Whether he does or not, Garth has shown he's a really capable FB and if we can't manage to keep him I'd be very surprised if another club didn't pick him up. Ready to go defenders with his mix of height and run don't grow on trees and you've got to love his attitude, he's a real old school, 'team first', no nonsense backman - many similarities to Astbury.

Cotch was decent on the weekend, he's had very little continuity in his football this year and when he has strung a few together at somewhere near match fitness it's often been in very depleted lineups. There's definitely a role for him next year, I expect our midfield to look a fair bit different, the coaching staff are no doubt well aware we've been smashed all year in the centre and at stoppages and rejuvenating it will be a massive area of focus in the off-season.

We're a much better side when Shai can play serious time through the middle and isn't carrying injury, with any luck Meatball can be better managed next year, hopefully Dusty can get his running back on track - moving like he was pre-season which really only lasted a handful of games into the season proper before he started carrying foot and leg niggles.

Importantly, I'm sure RCD will work his arse off over a longer pre-season and be much closer to running out full games, he's the youngster closest to giving us the boost in clearance power we desperately need. If we manage to snatch a mid with good enough athleticism to contribute immediately that will help, if we don't it's probably because we've snagged a mature type who can add a lot to the mix. A few of our flankers will no doubt get their opportunity to show they can seriously cut it in the midfield over pre-season and I'm optimistic one or two may surprise, Baker perhaps the most likely to succeed (he'd gain a lot from doing a pre-season as a mid rather than a defender), but there's numerous others with claims.

Given the opportunity to be managed with weeks off, Cotch is still going to be valuable - the key is getting our depth back and allowing him to enjoy his football again.

Astbury has been not far off his best football the last couple of weeks, very rarely beaten now he's gained some match fitness and he's certainly put his hand up to play on. Whether he does or not, Garth has shown he's a really capable FB and if we can't manage to keep him I'd be very surprised if another club didn't pick him up. Ready to go defenders with his mix of height and run don't grow on trees and you've got to love his attitude, he's a real old school, 'team first', no nonsense backman - many similarities to Astbury.
Thats a nice summary and common sense post Rayzorwire, with all the hate for Garth on BF? do people understand that he did not play in 2020 due to groin inj, and popped his shoulder in first vfl game in 2021. just finding his momentum now and he would be nearly the only AFL footballer officially registered as a key forward this season and now doing a job at FB. Cheers.

Francis Bourke limped to his 300th game. Michael Roach was practically carried out onto the ground to get to 200!! Jack just kicked 6 goals in his 300th game. He's moving like someone much younger than 32. Any thought of him pulling the pin at the end of the year is madness.

Cotchin's had to shoulder more of the load this year given our depleted midfield. He is a terrific leader of our club and if we have better luck with injuries in 2022 there's no reason why Cothcin shouldn't go on, albeit with managed game time.

Astbury has had a little more game time and getting back to the solid backman we know. Would help having Tigger, Broad and Balta back there.

Houli might be at the end. Been a magnificent player for our club and if he was to end his career this year, he can rightfully look back as a triple premiership player and someone who has left a lasting legacy with his other involvements.

Who knows how Covid will affect season 2022. But if we can get that manic desire back, have some luck with injuries, I firmly believe this group is capable of achieving greatness next year. I see no reason to move on our ageing club greats to play the younger brigade whilst the elders have still got it in them. There'll be time enough to play the youngsters beyond that.

Francis Bourke limped to his 300th game. Michael Roach was practically carried out onto the ground to get to 200!! Jack just kicked 6 goals in his 300th game. He's moving like someone much younger than 32. Any thought of him pulling the pin at the end of the year is madness.

Cotchin's had to shoulder more of the load this year given our depleted midfield. He is a terrific leader of our club and if we have better luck with injuries in 2022 there's no reason why Cothcin shouldn't go on, albeit with managed game time.

Astbury has had a little more game time and getting back to the solid backman we know. Would help having Tigger, Broad and Balta back there.

Houli might be at the end. Been a magnificent player for our club and if he was to end his career this year, he can rightfully look back as a triple premiership player and someone who has left a lasting legacy with his other involvements.

Who knows how Covid will affect season 2022. But if we can get that manic desire back, have some luck with injuries, I firmly believe this group is capable of achieving greatness next year. I see no reason to move on our ageing club greats to play the younger brigade whilst the elders have still got it in them. There'll be time enough to play the youngsters beyond that.
If Jack doesn't have to shoulder the load he is still a good footballer. There have been times this season where he has had to play up the ground to transition the ball, or he has played on the oppositions best defender, usually with the ball kicked into a two on one / two on three situation. I

n seasons past no problem, but you could see it last year and also this year. He cannot jump on their shoulders like he used to, he cannot compete in the air against the intercept defender like he used to, and he cannot cover the ground and then wrestle with an opponent or get off the ground like he once could.

Age has caught up and for him to be any use next year he will need to play as a smart secondary footballer, not the go to mr.fixit that he has been for us. If he can use his brain and not his brawn, like he did early in the season and on his good games, then he could be still a very good player next year. We need Lynch to play CHF next year, or someone like Balta or maybe Miller or trade for one, certainly we need to draft one.

Thats a nice summary and common sense post Rayzorwire, with all the hate for Garth on BF? do people understand that he did not play in 2020 due to groin inj, and popped his shoulder in first vfl game in 2021. just finding his momentum now and he would be nearly the only AFL footballer officially registered as a key forward this season and now doing a job at FB. Cheers.

No doubt many had written him off, but he's improved year on year and acquitted himself well during his current block of games. You could easily see him going to a side as highly ranked in the Dogs who have KPD needs and being an important part of a very successful group.

From what I've read there's quite a few who are recognising that he's done well, while also no doubt plenty from that group of people seem to take pride in coming to early conclusions on players and then point blank refuse to change their mind until it's impossible not to.

As a result, there's some pretty embarrassing conclusions in the archives of this board. ;)

Time up for houli. Been a fantastic player but has lost some pace and body failing.

Jack still very capable of being a damaging forward, especially if the forward set up changes to something that even half functions. Lynch needs to become the dominant forward and he certainly is capable of that.

it’s amazing how throwing one or two good mids into the rotation over summer can spread the load and make a guy like Cotchins life a lot easier. Who knows how his body has been in recent times and what he’s played through.
He can make his own call and I’d be backing him in for a good year if he decides to go again. I hope he does.

If our midfield does get added strength over summer, could he fill the Houli role across half back even?

Last edited:
If anyone was flirting with the idea of Houli playing on next year (including Houli himself), the form of Daniel Rioli and Sydney Stack at halfback has well and truly buried that. Hands down the easiest call the club will have to make at the end of this season.

Last edited:

Oh well apparently it's official, Houli wants to go on in 2022. For everyone that says that champions have the right to choose when they go this should be a no brainer as he wasn't that far off winning two Norm Smith Medals. So yeah according to that theory if he hasn't earnt the right then no-one has. However that's until reality rears it's ugly head and the team has to come first. Again just saying clubs ultimately have to make the call and beyond that it's merely window dressing. And looks like Houli will have to be 'forced' to make the right decision.

Hopefully it won't reach the point he looks for a new club at the end of the year because he feels he 'still has something to offer', but we have seen this scenario played out numerous times before when a player felt he had at least one more year. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Last edited:

Oh well apparently it's official, Houli wants to go on in 2022. For everyone that says that champions have the right to choose when they go this should be a no brainer as he was wasn't that far off winning two Norm Smith Medals. So yeah according to that theory if he hasn't earnt the right then no-one has. However that's until reality rears it's ugly head and the team has to come first. Again just saying clubs ultimately have to make the call and beyond that it's merely window dressing. And looks like Houli will have to be 'forced' to make the right decision.

Hopefully it won't reach the point he looks for a new club at the end of the year because he feels he 'still has something to offer', but we have seen this scenario played out numerous times before when a player felt he had at least one more year. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
I've been pretty clear in my mind the "player having the right to make the call" is unfortunately not what decisions can be based on in professional sports. The club has to be at the front of every decision.
I'd like our club to do the same.

I've been pretty clear in my mind the "player having the right to make the call" is unfortunately not what decisions can be based on in professional sports. The club has to be at the front of every decision.
I'd like our club to do the same.
The player never get that right , and he shouldn't
Stevie j and Chapman wanted to go on another year but were told they are done
The club will always have the final say

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a sad thing, but it's time for a few.

I wouldn't say it derailed the whole season, but our better, older players dropping off had a big impact on us losing games - especially early, before the injuries piled up.

Every one of them has something to offer for next year, but I don't think I'd have a spot in the 22 for Houli or Astbury next year. Not regularly, anyway.

It's a sad thing, but it's time for a few.

I wouldn't say it derailed the whole season, but our better, older players dropping off had a big impact on us losing games - especially early, before the injuries piled up.

Every one of them has something to offer for next year, but I don't think I'd have a spot in the 22 for Houli or Astbury next year. Not regularly, anyway.

Just focusing on Astbury specifically, given your view, do you think we should keep Garthwaite?

Just focusing on Astbury specifically, given your view, do you think we should keep Garthwaite?

Probably not. With more than a handful of draft picks, we need to make a fair bit of space. But Garthwaite is serviceable. I won't melt if we keep him.

I think Garth is quite a different player to Astbury. Maybe he only gets compared to Astbury because he lacks attacking flair, and is blonde. His not as tall or strong. He is a much better runner. Different strengths and different weaknesses. Probably a better fit for the Broad or Valstuin positions - and his a loooong way back for those. The fact his been depth for Dave says a lot about our faith in the depth of KPDs.

With everyone available, my back 7 would probably be something like:

Balta, Grimes, Broad
Short, Vlas, Rioli (Stack)

Probably not. With more than a handful of draft picks, we need to make a fair bit of space. But Garthwaite is serviceable. I won't melt if we keep him.

I think Garth is quite a different player to Astbury. Maybe he only gets compared to Astbury because he lacks attacking flair, and is blonde. His not as tall or strong. He is a much better runner. Different strengths and different weaknesses. Probably a better fit for the Broad or Valstuin positions - and his a loooong way back for those. The fact his been depth for Dave says a lot about our faith in the depth of KPDs.

With everyone available, my back 7 would probably be something like:

Balta, Grimes, Broad
Short, Vlas, Rioli (Stack)
Like the backline, concern would be against sides with good talls, apart from Balta, everyone is undersized.

Like the backline, concern would be against sides with good talls, apart from Balta, everyone is undersized.

Yep. It's been that way for a decade, and we've seen it working both superbly and miserably. I reckon a lot of whether we can make it work comes down to what happens further up the field.

Read a rumour that Edwards and Reiwoldt to retire at seasons end. Will be sad to see if true, Tiger legends. I fear we may have to say goodbye to a few more as well.
No way.
Shedda has a few more left in him surely.

Get ready for a few more retirees end of the year or early next. With injuries and tired bodies, with three premiership medals under their belt and Dave retiring I’d be looking at Edwards, jack, cotchin———young families, commitments etc.

outside of that grimes might be a surprise at some point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back