COACH of the Year 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

That made me laugh. There all the same when there not your team haha. You know which one I meant. the Swans one is the horse.

Why did we have to have two coaches with nearly identical surnames. We need nickname for Longmuir too.
Well - he’s been called JLo by the fans since his playing days. Players seem to prefer JL.

The Fly man.. the Fly.

Experts tipped us to win a handful of games and finish bottom 4.. well we've won 7 and we've still got 10 games to play.

We controlled most of the game against Carlton and deserved the win.. shellacked Fremantle and St Kilda. We came close against Brisbane and Geelong. All top 8 sides.

Sidebottom. WHE. Grundy. Adams. De Goey Crisp.. the older more experienced brigade are all playing much better footy under the Fly. Young players are developing nicely. Henry. The Gin. N Daicos. IQ.

Exciting brand of football we have rarely seen Collingwood play over the last 10-11 yrs.

The Fly has given these blokes a new lease on life.. released the shackles so they can dance and that man. We're no longer seeing the likes of De Goey getting a hold of the pill and launching it 15 mtrs sideways. Full steam ahead mate. That's it mate.

The Fly is a true great!

Voss because of his immediate impact. Longmuir has had a few years at Freo to get them going.

Whoever coaches their team to the premiership is the coach of the year. All the other opinion-based stuff is just perceptions based around teams "exceeding expectations"... blah blah blah... It doesn't really mean much.

So the Dockers, Blues and the Suns are finally looking decent after under-achieving in recent times.... Good for them!

I'm not dissing them (or the good work done by Longmuir, Voss and Dew). I just think it's a crock the way the hive-minded media all make the same predictions in Feb/March and then anoint a "coach of the year" based off teams jumping up and surprising them. Who cares what the AFL media collectively think?

Just to reiterate...

Whoever coaches their team to the premiership is the coach of the year.

End of story.

Who's the coach of the year up until this point. It's easy to give it to the premiership side but sometimes it's not always the case especially a side that's done a complete turnaround from bottom dwellers to top 4 for example it is better then say a Goodwin Scott winning it with a list that's already built for the premiership. Plus Goodwin won it last year. For him to win it again it would have to be a better Demons outfit and to be honest they don't look as little shaky last few weeks.

As an outside observer I would be putting

Voss
Longmire and honorable mention to Ratten

One of those three to get the coaches reward. Still a way to go but who's turned the list around the most to be a fighting unit out of these three sides.

My pick at the moment is Voss at this stage.

Sent from my CPH2025 using Tapatalk
C'mon son, it's obviously Longmuir.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alistair Clarkson wins 4 Premierships and is NEVER coach of the year. The award is of no value.

The Cups in Foyer Showcase are what are Remembered.
It’s a very hollow award when you take note of this, and it’s all because they make the call before the final game is won.

Whoever coaches their team to the premiership is the coach of the year. All the other opinion-based stuff is just perceptions based around teams "exceeding expectations"... blah blah blah... It doesn't really mean much.

So the Dockers, Blues and the Suns are finally looking decent after under-achieving in recent times.... Good for them!

I'm not dissing them (or the good work done by Longmuir, Voss and Dew). I just think it's a crock the way the hive-minded media all make the same predictions in Feb/March and then anoint a "coach of the year" based off teams jumping up and surprising them. Who cares what the AFL media collectively think?

Just to reiterate...

End of story.

No point having the award then, we already have the Jock McHale medal for that (which I'm sure every coach would obviously prefer to win anyway).

But anyway, I disagree. A coach can only work with the cattle they have and theoretically another coach could do a better job of maximising the output from his squad while still not winning the premiership. Though whether the people who decide the award are able to judge that from the outside is open to debate.

Just to reiterate...

End of story.

No it isn’t

No it isn’t what?

The coach of the year isn’t the winner.

That’s like saying the best driver in formula 1 each and every year will be the guy that wins the championship.
The best captain in cricket will be the one that wins the World Cup.

The best boxer on the planet will be the current heavyweight champ because those lighter than him can’t beat him.

It’s a notion that makes a complete mockery of every one of the countless factors that go into competitive sport

Remove this Banner Ad

Back