Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Staying for 2024, Lyon’s Cryin’

Will Simpson be Head Coach at WCE in 2024

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both Ryan and Cripps could chop out the midfield, never been given a chance though.

I'm not sure that's true re Cripps, prior to 6-6-6 he was a regular coming off the back of the square and we threw him in a bit this year.

Ryan definitely and I thought that would be the logical progression after 2020, but I don't think he was anywhere fit enough this year. He's capable of absolutely anything, can play anywhere and I think he let himself down with preparation this year big time.

Hopefully we can introduce a bit more dynamism in our forward half. Bring some of our half forward/smalls up the ground a bit for better link up with the mids and draw some players our of the forward 50. Better use of handball to move the ball quicker up the ground and clear stoppage cleanly and less congestion in the F50 when the ball arrives because we're moving the ball quicker and have drawn some of their defenders up the ground.

Anyone else cautiously optimistic for next year? I think we'll punch back in a big way, but such is the way of a deluded fan, always optimistic.

Think Rioli will make a massive difference to our team, if you watch 2018/19 highlights he's the mid-forward link man that we have been missing.

I'm not sure that's true re Cripps, prior to 6-6-6 he was a regular coming off the back of the square and we threw him in a bit this year.

Ryan definitely and I thought that would be the logical progression after 2020, but I don't think he was anywhere fit enough this year. He's capable of absolutely anything, can play anywhere and I think he let himself down with preparation this year big time.

Hopefully we can introduce a bit more dynamism in our forward half. Bring some of our half forward/smalls up the ground a bit for better link up with the mids and draw some players our of the forward 50. Better use of handball to move the ball quicker up the ground and clear stoppage cleanly and less congestion in the F50 when the ball arrives because we're moving the ball quicker and have drawn some of their defenders up the ground.

Anyone else cautiously optimistic for next year? I think we'll punch back in a big way, but such is the way of a deluded fan, always optimistic.

Think Rioli will make a massive difference to our team, if you watch 2018/19 highlights he's the mid-forward link man that we have been missing.

We know our list if committed are good enough, I think it could be exciting for us if all are on the same page and totally committed to footy success.

Anyone catch 2018 Premiership player Chris Marsten speaking during the week on breakfast radio about 2015 vs 2018 grand final weeks? Forget what day it was, maybe yesterday, was on Shaun McManuses show.

He was pretty open in saying that in 2015 they pretty much thought they had the game won before the opening bounce, celebrated all week, got carried away with themselves etc. Said that 2018 was the total opposite scenario, Sam Mitchell said to them something like "you can't win a grand final in the grand final parade but you can lose one" and that their preparation was totally different the second time around. Thought it was interesting for a player to be so open about it tbh. Shep was there too doing a GF preview but didn't partake, ex players have license to say what they will as compared to current players obviously. Have always thought 2015 was just way off from a performance perspective, I have very little respect for the Hawks 3peat team talent and game plan wise, they were a fair way from the best side going around during those years imo but they made the most of what they had against better sides without a doubt. Elite preparation and player commitment. Total opposite from our 2015 squad by the sounds, maybe as blokes start to retire and talk about what went on we'll hear some more about the inner workings during the dynasty that wasn't circa 2015-2021.

On the coaching front, pumped that Simmo now has some really strong assistants around him again. 2022 could be a great bounce for us, hopefully allowing us to nab a medal for Nic and send of Jk and Hurn with the perfect retirement gifts.

Anyone catch 2018 Premiership player Chris Marsten speaking during the week on breakfast radio about 2015 vs 2018 grand final weeks? Forget what day it was, maybe yesterday, was on Shaun McManuses show.

He was pretty open in saying that in 2015 they pretty much thought they had the game won before the opening bounce, celebrated all week, got carried away with themselves etc. Said that 2018 was the total opposite scenario, Sam Mitchell said to them something like "you can't win a grand final in the grand final parade but you can lose one" and that their preparation was totally different the second time around. Thought it was interesting for a player to be so open about it tbh. Shep was there too doing a GF preview but didn't partake, ex players have license to say what they will as compared to current players obviously. Have always thought 2015 was just way off from a performance perspective, I have very little respect for the Hawks 3peat team talent and game plan wise, they were a fair way from the best side going around during those years imo but they made the most of what they had against better sides without a doubt. Elite preparation and player commitment. Total opposite from our 2015 squad by the sounds, maybe as blokes start to retire and talk about what went on we'll hear some more about the inner workings during the dynasty that wasn't circa 2015-2021.

On the coaching front, pumped that Simmo now has some really strong assistants around him again. 2022 could be a great bounce for us, hopefully allowing us to nab a medal for Nic and send of Jk and Hurn with the perfect retirement gifts.
So Mastem missed a Mensa meeting to speak on radio and you listened to him??

So Mastem missed a Mensa meeting to speak on radio and you listened to him??

I mean I listened, obviously since the narrative coming out of his mouth made it almost possible for me to think that the club doesn't do everything perfectly every single time. I didn't know what he was on about because we obviously played out of our skins in the 2015 granny but the Hawks proved all season that they were a cut above the competition, and we were lucky to not get beaten by twice the margin we did on the day. I was just sharing because I was hoping someone could debunk this expert witness testimony from inside club walls, its even possible I dreamed the whole thing. Someone should check the west to see if the interview has been corroborated.

He was pretty open in saying that in 2015 they pretty much thought they had the game won before the opening bounce, celebrated all week, got carried away with themselves etc.

If that's true then they really are a bunch of meathead footballers. Little wonder they've wasted the past 3 years, blowing multiple games they really should have won and getting obliterated when they don't bother to turn up.

It's one thing to have a confident attitude but if they are approaching a grand final like that, playing a side like Hawthorn, on Hawthorn's home ground... fmd.

If that's true then they really are a bunch of meathead footballers. Little wonder they've wasted the past 3 years, blowing multiple games they really should have won and getting obliterated when they don't bother to turn up.

It's one thing to have a confident attitude but if they are approaching a grand final like that, playing a side like Hawthorn, on Hawthorn's home ground... fmd.

Yeah they were interesting comments, I always thought the boys were just overawed by the occasion on the day, was surprised to hear him say they thought they had it in the bag. To be fair we were the better side on paper, had a better season, and had just won the opening finals game so should of gone in full of confidence. Who'd of thought they don't just hand you these things, that you also need to show up on the day and execute. Can only imagine how much worse things would of been if Simmo had actually said no pressure, free swing. :tearsofjoy:

Schofield has said similar a few times on his podcast.

2015 they were caught up in the grand final lead up, 2018 it was all business for them and they regarded it as a job to do.

It's why the no phones and no sunglasses mandate came through in 2018.

The development of Bailey Williams is the single biggest factor in how next season will pan out.

As much as I love NN, his low ground time is a big factor in our inconsistency. We need the second ruckman to make a strong contribution as a KPP or we are effectively playing a man down.

If Williams can consistently contribute as a KPP and hold his own in the ruck, that effectively gives us another player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are at best a top 4-6 our list is well short of top 2 I am afraid. We just dont have enough in the midfield. Our depth is terrible in terms of quality

Agree. But given our list won’t or can’t change much we have to make the most of our abundant ‘small’ forwards and HBFs. Time to improve the tank of a few with a view to supplementing the midfield.

no quality cattle to rotate isnt a coaching problem.
We went to the trouble of getting him an inside midfielder in the mid-season draft and he played him off a forward flank.

We went to the trouble of getting him an inside midfielder in the mid-season draft and he played him off a forward flank.
That would be the bloke who struggled for a few disposals and could not dispose of the ball effectively under AFL pressure? Next you will hype up XON as the next Chris Judd even though he is bog average at WAFL level.

What the flying fu**. Did we actually go into the 2015 GF thinking we had it in the bag? Against a team in their 4th GF in a row?

I always thought 2015 was a case of peaking too early. Playing our GF in the QF, drinking our bathwater for 2 weeks, playing a scrappy laborious PF against Norf and being prime for hammering in the GF.

What the flying fu**. Did we actually go into the 2015 GF thinking we had it in the bag? Against a team in their 4th GF in a row?
Young team and young coach. Doubt they walked around the week before celebrating, but it was probably one of those things where they realised in hindsight that they were ahead of themselves. It doesn't take a lot to be off your game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back