List Mgmt. Coaching Changes for 2019 - Mattner, Wright, Godden IN; Francou, Kaesler, O'Keefe OUT

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a concern that Francou and Mattner haven't worked out

If good AFL players with coaching experience at other AFL clubs and who are South Australian aren't able to add anything/fit in... then who do we target?
I would like to know why Mattner didn't work out.

Who are the assistants at Richmond? West Coast (no, not NVB)?
Someone floated the idea of Shannon Hurn taking a role, which on face value I quite like. Whether or not he's suitable I have no idea and who knows what his plans are for the next couple of years.

Carlton pretty much expected immediate results. I can still remember him lamenting list management and player (payments) contracts shortly after he arrived.

I always suspected he was on a hiding to nowhere when he agreed to take the job on. Also thought he let his ego get in the way over his departure from Collingwood. Just felt he took on the Carlton job for the wrong reasons
Yep

I could picture him at the interview. So... why did you apply for this coaching position?

<Don't say revenge. Don't say revenge.>

Ahhh.... revenge?

If good AFL players with coaching experience at other AFL clubs and who are South Australian aren't able to add anything/fit in... then who do we target?
The concern is why. I'd love to hear from both of these guys as to what really happened.

There is a story waiting to come out from players and coaches that have left and it is going to be pretty damning I think.

They failed in a setup that needs to be burned to the ground and started over. We already replaced the head coach and head of football. We're well on the way to replacing the rest of the coaches. Next up is the chairman, board, and all the players

The concern is why. I'd love to hear from both of these guys as to what really happened.

There is a story waiting to come out from players and coaches that have left and it is going to be pretty damning I think.
Guessing only but I get the feeling that they didn't think they could have/were having an influence.

Mattner went from Sturt where he had total control to where he was a cog in a machine. Francou had been an assistant before but strikes me as someone with a strong opinion, quite stubborn. Both would find it difficult to roll out stuff they don't 100% believe in.

The ones who have stayed are perhaps a bit gentler in their approach? Easier to work with, go along to get along. Certainly Doc Clarke and Ben Hart. Not sure about Godden.

Mattner left even after Burton and Camporeale moved on which is indeed a worry

They failed in a setup that needs to be burned to the ground and started over. We already replaced the head coach and head of football. We're well on the way to replacing the rest of the coaches. Next up is the chairman, board, and all the players
Youd hope that Marty is just the first of many in that case though

Guessing only but I get the feeling that they didn't think they could have/were having an influence.

Mattner went from Sturt where he had total control to where he was a cog in a machine. Francou had been an assistant before but strikes me as someone with a strong opinion, quite stubborn. Both would find it difficult to roll out stuff they don't 100% believe in.

The ones who have stayed are perhaps a bit gentler in their approach? Easier to work with, go along to get along. Certainly Doc Clarke and Ben Hart. Not sure about Godden.

Which means it is a bigger issues than the coach. It's a club based issue.

Didn't we sack Mattner and he decided to leave earlier instead of at the end of the season?

Didn't we sack Mattner and he decided to leave earlier instead of at the end of the season?
It doesn't matter

Either way it didn't work out and if it's not going to work with good AFL players who have coaching experience and are South Australian... then where exactly do we go next?

It doesn't matter

Either way it didn't work out and if it's not going to work with good AFL players who have coaching experience and are South Australian... then where exactly do we go next?

We have to actually spend money on proven experienced coaches rather than poaching cheap locals with limited AFL experience

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have to actually spend money on proven experienced coaches rather than poaching cheap locals with limited AFL experience
In this environment...

We actually need Godden to work out. If the local competition can be a source for cheaper decent coaches then you can spend up big on a name or two.

In this environment...

We actually need Godden to work out. If the local competition can be a source for cheaper decent coaches then you can spend up big on a name or two.
I think it will work with Godden who has probably been one best coaches locally to develop talent. Problem is some of the players are wired to play the old game style from the previous few years. Change will take time and I think the hub will be beneficial as they will get away from Adelaide’s footy fish bowl. I would expect they will improve over the year with the possibility of snagging at least 5 wins.

I think it will work with Godden who has probably been one best coaches locally to develop talent. Problem is some of the players are wired to play the old game style from the previous few years. Change will take time and I think the hub will be beneficial as they will get away from Adelaide’s footy fish bowl. I would expect they will improve over the year with the possibility of snagging at least 5 wins.
Has he ?? WWT buy players, they don't develop many

😂 😂😂 he had several young guys drafted??
He doesn't develop much, they spend more on their players than most.

And we are finding out why he failed in finals so very often.

It doesn't matter

Hopefully it's because we've got new coaches coming in and club thought that while dumping 40% of footy dept cap they'd get rid of those without a future. It makes sense with Hart, less obvious with Mattner. If he's replaced with the next rookie out of SANFL then it will be another problem to add to the pile.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back