Collingwood and Richmond - who has the greater supporter base

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a reminder: Terms like “Minnowmond”, “Shrinkingwood”, “Dwindlewood” and the like belong on the bay, not the main board. Same goes for referring to either team as a minnow, when clearly neither fits that description.

If you see stuff like this, don’t respond with more of it. Click ‘report’ so we can deal with it.

bahahaha you still have a chance to delete your post. It's pretty embarrassing. The fixture came out in Oct 2019 for the 2020 season, Carlton was already fixtured to play at GMHBA. Do you think the Oct 2019 release of the 2020 fixture knew that covid was coming in March 2020 :think:
Yes, noticed they also played Carlton at Kardinia Park in 2018 and 2019.

Five consecutive seasons of crowds in the 30K's will do that.

Carlton are not Collingwood. Collingwood haven't been scheduled to play Geelong at Kardinia Park since 1999.

They tried playing Collingwood v. Geelong games at the Docklands in 2003/04/05 and realised they were leaving money on the table with sellout crowds, hence averaging home and away crowds of circa 70,000 at the MCG since.

Juggernaut Richmond Tigers Football Club played 5 games v 3 peloton clubs - the dwindling supporter base Collingwood Football Club, Essendon FC and Carlton FC. In only one of those 5 games did the peloton club get within 2 goals of Richmond. In the game 20% of the time is not much to encourage their fans to turn up is it?

But v the dwindling supporter base Collingwood FC, juggernaut Richmond FC + Carlton FC + Essendon FC 100% of those teams were in the game at the end of the match. Five from five. 100%. So of course more of those teams’ fans will show up against Collingwood than Richmond. 20% chance of being in the contest v 100% chance of being in the contest.

Opposition supporters turning up for matches against dwindling supporter base Collingwood Football Club does not establish that the Collingwood FC has a greater supporter base than juggernaut Richmond FC. 😁😎
Oh good, so results in home and away matches count now?

Juggernaut Richmond Tigers Football Club played 5 games v 3 peloton clubs - the dwindling supporter base Collingwood Football Club, Essendon FC and Carlton FC. In only one of those 5 games did the peloton club get within 2 goals of Richmond. In the game 20% of the time is not much to encourage their fans to turn up is it?

But v the dwindling supporter base Collingwood FC, juggernaut Richmond FC + Carlton FC + Essendon FC 100% of those teams were in the game at the end of the match. Five from five. 100%. So of course more of those teams’ fans will show up against Collingwood than Richmond. 20% chance of being in the contest v 100% chance of being in the contest.

Opposition supporters turning up for matches against dwindling supporter base Collingwood Football Club does not establish that the Collingwood FC has a greater supporter base than juggernaut Richmond FC. 😁😎
What the hell are you on about?? Collingwood fc support base is growing by the minute. We are the biggest football club in Australia. Richmond are the biggest sporting club in Ringwood!!! Well done tigers

"I support the biggest club in Australia."

"I support the second biggest club in Australia."

Say those out loud, and then really think to yourself: would either sentence truly impact or change your life in any meaningful way? No. This thread is one of the sillier ones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can confirm I have never pulled in a nightclub. On an international flight, in a Spanish restaurant with a waitress who enjoyed the way I mis-pronounced “gracias senorita,” a landlady or two, at a posh resort perhaps, but never at a nightclub, not my scene. 😁
I’d still give it a crack if the two of us hit a nightclub together. I ain’t spending my night alone with you in the hotel room after, I’m making sure I’ve got company with me.

I’d still give it a crack if the two of us hit a nightclub together. I ain’t spending my night alone with you in the hotel room after, I’m making sure I’ve got company with me.

PL you cannot imagine how poorly my mixture of jovial and witty repartee and calm philosophically anchored analysis goes down on the nightclub scene. You on the other hand I could see thriving in the environment. 😁

PL you cannot imagine how poorly my mixture of jovial and witty repartee and calm philosophically anchored analysis goes down on the nightclub scene. You on the other hand I could see thriving in the environment. 😁
You’re the perfect wingman, I can sense it.

If everyone is up for it. I propose a game.

Starting tomorrow, you’re only allowed to present cases around why the OTHER team has the greater supporter base.

I’m curious to know how good the debate would be then.

Ok I’ll start with Richmond……oh wait I cannot think of a case. Only one I can come up with is there one match v gws that drew 94,000!!

gp with all due respect that is a relief. No club serious about their chances of being seen to have the greatest supporter base would want a one-note drone with no new ideas arguing their case. 😉

OK I can kick it off with a nice little pro-Collingwood argument. 😁

People are known to follow the club their parents followed at a greater rate than following any non-parent favoured club at random. In short, there is a bias by children towards the clubs their parents followed. But of course with each generation passing this bias gets weakened. So a child is more likely to follow the club of his grandparent than any other club at random, but more likely again to follow the club of his parent than any other club at random.

People from poor neighbourhoods are known to run foul of the law at a greater rate than people from more affluent neighbourhoods, with higher incarceration rates.

People in prison are not allowed to attend AFL finals but sometimes get day releases to go to home and away matches.

Poorer neighbourhoods tend to be more populous than more affluent neighbourhoods.

Whilst Richmond and Collingwood have in the past been working class catholic neighbourhoods, Collingwood has always been just that bit more working class and that bit more catholic.

Welfare class is the new working class. Ie 100 years ago you could not live on the dole, you had to work, even the laziest least intelligent and least motivated of people. So when we say they were working class areas, this would be like being a welfare class area today. As we can see from median house prices today, Richmond has risen further in the world than the less aspirational Collingwood. Prices in Richmond are 13% higher. Median incomes are actually $7 higher per week in Collingwood so don’t ever let anybody tell you crime does not pay. But most of this money gets blown on counter-productive things, so don’t be fooled by this statistic. Collingwood people are poorer.

Anyway, drawing all this together it is clear why Collingwood had the bigger following historically. People who lived in Collingwood were more catholic that the slightly more secular Richmond, and also being poorer they tended to breed enthusiastically, regardless of the fact there was less space into which the resulting progeny could be accommodated.

So Collingwood had the bigger following. Many of their following to this day fill the gaols, prison farms and curfew tagged populations of Victoria as a natural corollary of all of the above. So whilst generation to generation the Collingwood supporter base is slowly but surely dwindling as a result of youngsters becoming more and more disconnected from their shameful roots, and Richmond now seems to have the greater supporter base as more and more new aspirational people align with the excellent values of the club, if you include the prison population there is a very real chance Collingwood still clings narrowly to the greater supporter base. It is just they cannot afford memberships, and cannot get to the more expensive and often prohibited finals matches in any great number.

That would be my main argument for Collingwood having the greater supporter base than Richmond. 😁
Nah, not good enough, sorry.

Richmond has the greater supporter base because we all know it’s all about membership numbers. It doesn’t matter if Collingwood, historically, had the greater support base because of working class bla bla bla, at the end of the day, the true measure is memberships.

Now, when talking memberships, we need to consider ALL membership types, and Collingwood, being the lesser of the two clubs, offer far less membership options than the mighty Richmond football club.

You wonder how, right? Well, let me get to my point. In Australia, the population is approximately 26 million Australians. Hypothetically, every single one of them can be Collingwood supporters, but that doesn’t mean squat, because with Richmond’s membership diversity, we have the pet membership, and according to the aph.gov website, there are over 29 million pets in Australia.

Realistically, it is entirely plausible that all 29 million pets ARE Richmond supporters, and that is evident through our pet membership option for $45 a year. This also explains why Collingwood MIGHT have the greater attendance numbers, but at the end of the day, we still have inequality and discrimination whereby we cannot bring our pets to games, which is the only reason Pies get more bums on seats.

Back to my original point, it’s clear that Richmond have the greater support base, and that’s on the back of the fact there are over 29 million pets in Australia, all eligible to become Richmond members, and Collingwood does not have this option.

Clearly a sign of a mediocre football club that isn’t forward thinking, and can be argued are pro-animal cruelty, as we cannot put anything beyond Eddie and that rabble in B&W. Only logical excuse as to why they discriminate against animals who are nothing but loving and loyal. Much more loyal than the 26 million Australian population who can be prone to being bandwagoners anyway.

Nah, not good enough, sorry.

Richmond has the greater supporter base because we all know it’s all about membership numbers. It doesn’t matter if Collingwood, historically, had the greater support base because of working class bla bla bla, at the end of the day, the true measure is memberships.

Now, when talking memberships, we need to consider ALL membership types, and Collingwood, being the lesser of the two clubs, offer far less membership options than the mighty Richmond football club.

You wonder how, right? Well, let me get to my point. In Australia, the population is approximately 26 million Australians. Hypothetically, every single one of them can be Collingwood supporters, but that doesn’t mean squat, because with Richmond’s membership diversity, we have the pet membership, and according to the aph.gov website, there are over 29 million pets in Australia.

Realistically, it is entirely plausible that all 29 million pets ARE Richmond supporters, and that is evident through our pet membership option for $45 a year. This also explains why Collingwood MIGHT have the greater attendance numbers, but at the end of the day, we still have inequality and discrimination whereby we cannot bring our pets to games, which is the only reason Pies get more bums on seats.

Back to my original point, it’s clear that Richmond have the greater support base, and that’s on the back of the fact there are over 29 million pets in Australia, all eligible to become Richmond members, and Collingwood does not have this option.

Clearly a sign of a mediocre football club that isn’t forward thinking, and can be argued are pro-animal cruelty, as we cannot put anything beyond Eddie and that rabble in B&W. Only logical excuse as to why they discriminate against animals who are nothing but loving and loyal. Much more loyal than the 26 million Australian population who can be prone to being bandwagoners anyway.
Collingwood obviously need to do another Do it better Report!!

How can we competed with the mighty Richmond football club the greatest and biggest football club of them all!!

Correct, Pies consistently been #1 for majority of history.

Late 90s, Essendon moving to the G and winning flags saw them have a bubble where they edged us.

Just like the Tigers had a lil bubble in 2017-18 where they edged us. But the thread ismt about bygone eras.

In 2019 we had the bigger attendance. In 2022, once we began living with covid and crowds were back, Pies again easily the bigger attendances, 100k+ members and two 90k finals (the supposed yardstick)

Tigers are back to being in the pack, like they have been for entire history except for the bygone era bubble of 2017-18 which was the end of a mammoth period of irrelevance.

Yeah, we never get to play the Pies to boost our crowds.

Well if we get another 5 Vic v Vic clashes like the Tigers did, will do it easily.

Now that Mrs Hardwick has left, tigers are cooked...she was the mastermind.
Whilst I won’t suggest Collingwood almost certainly isn’t the biggest Club, how on earth can you and others keep using crowd stats for home and away aggregates to justify supremacy? Only Collingwood and Richmond play at an unconstrained stadium! How is it even possible for a Carlton or Essendon to participate in such a debate if it plays its home games at a 45,000 seater? I will argue that if Essendon had as much on field success as Collingwood the last 20 years, mirroring it’s ladder finishes annually over this period, it’s highly likely they would’ve finished the top aggregate club in the competition on several occasions. There’s almost no doubt about that. Look at 2017 as an obvious case in point..

This aggregate H&A attendance debate is misleading, has significant limitations rendering it a pointless exercise. It’s a debate that really can only have 2 of the 18 clubs applicable as these are the only big 2 clubs playing at unconstrained stadiums.

Finally, if West Coast played its home games at the MCG, a 100,000 seater, it’s home crowd aggregate would certainly be the biggest in the AFL over the last 20 years. That changes the whole attendance narrative.

Otherwise, carry on with the shallow endless pointless debate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back