Opinion Commentary & Media III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
"........she had long blonde hair reaching down her back, and l had seen her once at the local beach in her bikini. She looked like Raqel Welch in the movie 1 million years b.c. She moved around hanging the washing and saw me looking at her. She smiled, licked her lips and waved........"
Mark Day wants to get a contract to you ASAP.

Also you need to read up on the events of late 1896 to see how well this proposal would work for us.
Yep, I think most of us know what happened back then and it has very little to do with the AFL administration's over reach, ongoing retention of broadcast money and other revenues to fund inflated administrative headcounts, salaries and speculative ventures at the expense of clubs in the 21st century. It's not as though North Melbourne has benefitted from the AFL administration's withholding of revenue.

You might want to read up on how clubs/franchises in other major professional sporting organisations have ensured that they control the administrative bodies and revenue distribution and not vice versa.

We would be so much worse off if our interests were decided by the CEOs of Collingwood, Richmond and West Coast than the AFL.

The AFL's equalisation strategies are the only thing preventing small clubs from being perennial bottom of the ladder also-rans.
The AFL's so called equalisation strategies have been a joke. Let's get real - the AFL have denied all clubs huge portions of broadcast revenues over the last 20 years and spent the money on funding huge administrative growth, salaries and speculative programs.

Instead, the AFL told the clubs to make most of their money from membership and stadium revenue, knowing full well they had dudded a number of smaller clubs on stadium revenue, including ours and dudded clubs - including ours - on ongoing fixturing inequities. Those actions of the AFL have had the opposite effect of equalisation.

If the AFL had distributed the broadcast revenue instead of retaining so much of it, the stadium deal and fixturing inequities would have been far less of an issue. And in other professional codes, the administrative body doesn't decide not to distribute broadcast money - the clubs tell it to - weak and strong. The AFL have somehow convinced the public that these are hand outs.

Yep, I think most of us know what happened back then and it has very little to do with the AFL administration's over reach, ongoing retention of broadcast money and other revenues to fund inflated administrative headcounts, salaries and speculative ventures at the expense of clubs in the 21st century. It's not as though North Melbourne has benefitted from the AFL administration's withholding of revenue.

You might want to read up on how clubs/franchises in other major professional sporting organisations have ensured that they control the administrative bodies and revenue distribution and not vice versa.
The big clubs will always win. That's why they got together 123 years ago and excluded us. They created the VFL because they didn't want to bother with small clubs like us.

Honestly think of how your scenario plays out. It's a TV network wanting football but not wanting games that won't atrract big numbers. You get a league of probably 10 to 12 clubs, and we ain't one of them.

The big clubs will always win. That's why they got together 123 years ago and excluded us. They created the VFL because they didn't want to bother with small clubs like us.

Honestly think of how your scenario plays out. It's a TV network wanting football but not wanting games that won't atrract big numbers. You get a league of probably 10 to 12 clubs, and we ain't one of them.

For starters the broadcasters wanted and want more clubs and games and got it. The broadcast revenue wouldn't be as high per club if there weren't back to back games all weekend long. So if the big clubs explored breaking away, broadcasters would pay a lot less.

Second, compared to 123 years ago, the ratio of small and medium clubs to large clubs is far higher. St Kilda, Carlton, Melbourne, North, WB, Port, Freo, Brisbane, Gold Coast and GWS are all weaker clubs yet collectively they hold a lot of power. The strongest clubs would not dictate to that large group of smaller clubs.

Given that the large clubs know they need the smaller clubs, the question is how do all those clubs access a share of the broadcast money that is commensurate with other sporting codes? Currently they don't access anywhere near it. My point is that the clubs are going to wake up to this at some stage.

For starters the broadcasters wanted and want more clubs and games and got it. The broadcast revenue wouldn't be as high per club if there weren't back to back games all weekend long. So if the big clubs explored breaking away, broadcasters would pay a lot less.

Second, compared to 123 years ago, the ratio of small and medium clubs to large clubs is far higher. St Kilda, Carlton, Melbourne, North, WB, Port, Freo, Brisbane, Gold Coast and GWS are all weaker clubs yet collectively they hold a lot of power. The strongest clubs would not dictate to that large group of smaller clubs.

Given that the large clubs know they need the smaller clubs, the question is how do all those clubs access a share of the broadcast money that is commensurate with other sporting codes? Currently they don't access anywhere near it. My point is that the clubs are going to wake up to this at some stage.

I started to count the errors or misunderstandings of broadcast television in this post ran out of fingers and loist the count.

I started to count the errors or misunderstandings of broadcast television in this post ran out of fingers and loist the count.
Except the post doesn't refer to 'broadcast television' does it?

Just realised you're the Caroline Wilson apologist so can't take anything you say seriously. Looking at your posts, you sound like one of the AFL cronies the sport could do without.

Last edited:
Except the post doesn't refer to 'broadcast television' does it?

Just realised you're the Caroline Wilson apologist so can't take anything you say seriously. Looking at your posts, you sound like one of the AFL cronies the sport could do without.

I'm confused - you used the term 'broadcaster' twice and 'broadcast' once in your first 3 sentences, then 'broadcast money' near the end. If that's not referring to 'broadcast television', then what is it referring to?

I'm confused - you used the term 'broadcaster' twice and 'broadcast' once in your first 3 sentences, then 'broadcast money' near the end. If that's not referring to 'broadcast television', then what is it referring to?
Broadcast revenue doesn't just come from TV does it? But hey, I think most people understand broadcast revenue to be all the money paid by media companies to the AFL to show or describe the game. That said, I'm not interested in the semantics or definitions of whether radio or internet revenue fits under broadcast or not. The point is, the AFL collects and retains alot of that money whereas other major sporting codes' administrators act as a conduit and pass that money on to clubs/franchises etc.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"For starters the broadcasters wanted..."

Just wow, dude!
So you can't read? You said 'broadcast television' not me pal. Do you think you can pay attention for long enough to grasp the following widely understood concept? Broadcast revenue in sport is not limited to television.

But let's say you can't - which from your previous posts is highly likely - try getting this through your Caroline Wilson loving head - the AFL administration distribute far less $ from broadcast revenue, or media rights revenue - or whatever term a smarmy little pedant like you wants to use - to clubs than do the administrators of other codes.

Last edited:
So you can't read? You said 'broadcast television' not me pal. Do you think you can pay attention for long enough to grasp the following widely understood concept? Broadcast revenue in sport is not limited to television.

But let's say you can't - which from your previous posts is highly likely - try getting this through your Caroline Wilson loving head - the AFL administration distribute far less $ from broadcast revenue, or media rights revenue - or whatever term a smarmy little pedant like you wants to use - to clubs than do the administrators of other codes.

Dude, now you want to justify your bone-headed error by arguing that "broadcast" income outside of television actually amounts to more than a hill of beans... that's like Donald Trump saying he was joking about building a wall in Colorado. Sure Jan.

Dude, now you want to justify your bone-headed error by arguing that "broadcast" income outside of television actually amounts to more than a hill of beans... that's like Donald Trump saying he was joking about building a wall in Colorado. Sure Jan.
OK Pal. First, unless you actually are American, howabout try writing a sentence without the cringeworthy pretence.

Second, let's deal in what was actually said, not the BS you keep making up.

You said the initial post contained countless errors or misunderstandings about 'broadcast television'. But as we both know, I didn't use the term 'broadcast television'? Why not? Because who says 'broadcast television revenue'? It would've been unnecessarily ambiguous. What does broadcast television revenue mean to everyone reading this? Just free to air, not pay tv, streaming or what? Was I trying to make a distinction? No I was not, it was not important to the point I was making - broadcast revenue was fine.

But then you start gobbing off about how many errors and misunderstandings there were in that post about broadcast TV. So go on dimwit, victim of cultural imperialism - enlighten me about all those errors and misunderstandings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back