Comments made by Schwab on the weekend regards to throwing

Remove this Banner Ad

Zaky

Debutant
Apr 3, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
He made the comment that if a player has possession of the ball and is tackled he has to immediately dispose of it. If that includes a throw or even dropping it, then so be it, its called play on by the umps.

Rules of the game:

law 15.2.3:

-----

a) Where the field Umpire is satisfied that a Player in possession of the football:

(ii) has not had a prior opportunity to dispose of the football, the field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against that Player if, upon being Correctly Tackled, the Player does not Correctly Dispose or genuinely attempt to Correctly Dispose of the football after being given a reasonable opportunity to do so;

----

So when did they change the rules? Over the summer? Why havent they told anyone? So basically now if you gain possession and are tackled you can drop it or throw it and its play on.

Last couple of years the rule was changed. The rule is now:

The player with the ball, when tackled, can do whatever they want with the ball, as long as the ball keeps moving.

Kick, handball, drop and throw are now all legitimate disposals.

Dogs and Sydney have done this for a while. Other clubs are now joining in.

a) Where the field Umpire is satisfied that a Player in possession of the football:

(ii) has not had a prior opportunity to dispose of the football, the field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against that Player if, upon being Correctly Tackled, the Player does not Correctly Dispose or genuinely attempt to Correctly Dispose of the football after being given a reasonable opportunity to do so;

----

So when did they change the rules? Over the summer? Why havent they told anyone? So basically now if you gain possession and are tackled you can drop it or throw it and its play on.
That's been the rule for a long time, it's just that most fans don't understand it.
If you are considered to have had no prior op, then all you have to do is ATTEMPT to get a legal disposal out, and if it gets pinned, or drops or you end up kind of throwing it then that is play on, as long as you were attempting a legit disposal and didn't drop/throw on purpose. So yes in certain situations if you drop/throw then it is play on. I wish they would educate fans better on this because I am sick of the crowd yelling out things like 'how did he get rid of it' when someone has had no prior.
If you have had prior then that is treated much differently, you must get a legit disposal out, drop/throw in that case will be penalised.

I know what Schwab was trying to say, he probably just didn't word it very well.

He made the comment that if a player has possession of the ball and is tackled he has to immediately dispose of it. If that includes a throw or even dropping it, then so be it, its called play on by the umps.

Rules of the game:

law 15.2.3:

-----

----

So perhaps it is the interpretation that changes each week, however only certain clubs (e.g Bulldogs, Hawks, Pies) coaches were smart enough to sign up for the umpires memo's. Looks like Longmire and Swans have missed the boat (ala 2016 GF) and should get on damn mailing list ASAP!

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-04-12/most-clubs-not-accessing-umpire-training-intel

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/co...y/news-story/0d50bc8efbc70f50fbbf3814619cc7a0

Is it still incorrect disposal if you try to kick it and fail, even if you meet the above criteria re genuinely attempt to correctly dispose of the football?

• Banned
So If I get tackled without prior but throw/drop the ball in the direction of a teammate and we clear the area that's ok now?

Yep. Thats what the dogs have being doing for a year now and what got them a flag.

Apparently the swans didnt subscribe to the new "weekly rules email list" and thus why we are playing the old way and getting pinged for stuff that would have been play on in the past. I am not joking btw, its mentioned in the link above.

This code is basically run by your classic morons.

Rules of the game:

law 15.2.3:

-----

----

But apart from rugby you can knock it forward
Might have not notified it but hopefully now won't be so selective
I hate any opportunity for 27 different people to influence am outcome ,let enough expect some level of consistency

The way AFL rules are written is Sofa King dumb.

Almost every rule is completely based on interpretation and the umpires ability to infer a players intent.

Genuinely attempt obviously needs to be defined clearly and a lot bloody better than it currently is because currently a genuine attempt is any movement whatsoever but also sometimes no movement at all.

So perhaps it is the interpretation that changes each week, however only certain clubs (e.g Bulldogs, Hawks, Pies) coaches were smart enough to sign up for the umpires memo's. Looks like Longmire and Swans have missed the boat (ala 2016 GF) and should get on damn mailing list ASAP!

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-04-12/most-clubs-not-accessing-umpire-training-intel

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/co...y/news-story/0d50bc8efbc70f50fbbf3814619cc7a0

Not sure if serious.

Swans throw the ball the 2nd most in the comp behind the Dogs.

Maybe open your eyes and watch for it next game.

Not sure if serious.

Swans throw the ball the 2nd most in the comp behind the Dogs.

Maybe open your eyes and watch for it next game.

I would agree if you wrote swans get pinged for incorrect disposal the most however have to disagree with what you wrote. I will fully own up to being a one eyed swans supporter but it's kinda hard to watch a game if you have your eyes closed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. Thats what the dogs have being doing for a year now and what got them a flag.

Apparently the swans didnt subscribe to the new "weekly rules email list" and thus why we are playing the old way and getting pinged for stuff that would have been play on in the past. I am not joking btw, its mentioned in the link above.

This code is basically run by your classic morons.

You do throw the ball, don't pretend that you're holier than thou.

You're saying the code is run by morons but you're club does not subscribe to the AFL Umpires agenda. I'd say your clubs football department are the morons considering these are the rules we play under.

If your club does not care enough about the explanation of the rules and what's been worked on, then it's pretty stupid for sooky longmire to have a cry at the end of matches / ask for clarification.

The interpretation is there because they don't want the game reverting to a maul. Better to have the ball moving with 'attempted' correct disposal when there's no prior opportunity than ping the players who will then revert to keeping it in and creating a stoppage. Different story if there's prior opp though.

So the "spirit" of the game doesn't matter in this case but does in the "ducking/lowering of the knees"?
Dropping the ball is one thing but throwing the ball should be pinged every time. If you have the opportunity to throw the ball you have the opportunity to handball.

You're saying the code is run by morons but you're club does not subscribe to the AFL Umpires agenda. I'd say your clubs football department are the morons considering these are the rules we play under.

If your club does not care enough about the explanation of the rules and what's been worked on, then it's pretty stupid for sooky longmire to have a cry at the end of matches / ask for clarification.
chuckers.jpg

You are right the Swans and other clubs are morons for not getting this guy in for some pointers. Took a while but you guys became the masters, bravo and well done.

Nope. The bravedogs won a flag on the back of massive exploitation and gaming of the rules. Deal with it kiddo.

I LOL at poor bravedog fans, wait 60 + years for a flag then they win by cheating and now the only flag they are going to win for the next 5 decades is....tainted.

*en LOL!!!!!!!!!

Sums up how pathetic bravedogs are, can only get ahead by pan handling to the AFL, cheating and stealing, much like how their fan base live their lives.

Nope. The bravedogs won a flag on the back of massive exploitation and gaming of the rules. Deal with it kiddo.

I LOL at poor bravedog fans, wait 60 + years for a flag then they win by cheating and now the only flag they are going to win for the next 5 decades is....tainted.

****en LOL!!!!!!!!!

Sums up how pathetic bravedogs are, can only get ahead by pan handling to the AFL, cheating and stealing, much like how their fan base live their lives.

Need some chippy's to go with that salt and a toasty for that large melt.

So If I get tackled without prior but throw/drop the ball in the direction of a teammate and we clear the area that's ok now?

That's not OK. Throwing the ball is prohibited under all circumstances. Rule 15.3 -

15.3 FREE KICKS RELATING TO DISPOSAL OF THE FOOTBALL

15.3.1 Correct Disposal

A Player Correctly Disposes of the football if the Player Kicks or

Handballs the football.

15.3.2 Incorrect Disposal and Payment of Free Kick

When the football is in play, a Free Kick shall be awarded against a

Player who hands the football to another Player or throws the football.

This is the rule everyone forgets when we talk about HTB.

****en LOL!!!!!!!!!

Kind of like how Sydney had this so called cost of living allowance and exploited it to lure big named players? Or got access to players who were ranked top 5 in the draft despite making grand finals? You've been given greater charity, the only reason you've stayed up top for so long

And no, Bulldogs won because you only kicked 5 goals in 3.5 quarters, you only looked good in your 10-15 minute blitz late before half time. If Dogs were more efficient going inside 50, like GWS or the Crows etc, you wouldn't have been within 10 goals. Their wastefulness kept it close

Used to love Sydney and their fans, was always siding with them in the finals when my team didn't make it. Since the Grand Final the majority have been nothing but complete pricks on these boards, and whingers, living in denial that they were simply beaten by a better team

That's not OK. Throwing the ball is prohibited under all circumstances. Rule 15.3 -

15.3 FREE KICKS RELATING TO DISPOSAL OF THE FOOTBALL

15.3.1 Correct Disposal

A Player Correctly Disposes of the football if the Player Kicks or

Handballs the football.

15.3.2 Incorrect Disposal and Payment of Free Kick

When the football is in play, a Free Kick shall be awarded against a

Player who hands the football to another Player or throws the football.

This is the rule everyone forgets when we talk about HTB.

Including the umpires apparently.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back