Comparison of North Melbourne and Geelong drafting

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
I watch a lot of Geelong live and on TV because of family connections. They play beautiful football- and in the past 10 years it feels like they play a different sport to us. Their recruits are different and are trained to play the game differently. They've recruited for the modern game. Fast, run and carry, small. We've recruited for the 90s mudheaps.

We should compare recent recruits. Guthrie, Duncan, Motlop, Gregson, Jordan Murdoch, Lang, McCarthy, Cockatoo, Parfitt, Tuohy. All these blokes can run and carry, break lines, hit targets. They rotate through the middle, forward and back. When I see a Guthrie get through 2 tackles and hit a bloke 45 metres away, or Lang snap a goal on his left, or Murdoch potting goals from 50, it's clear we don't have that.

Ours? Garner, Turner, Simpkin (very early), Wagner, Mountford, Anderson, Mullett, McDonald, Dumont, Clarke, Jacobs. I love some of these guys. But there is no elite disposal amongst them. They'd all run through brick walls. But they either can't hit a target (Garner, McDonald, Simpkin, Jacobs, Anderson is the worst kick Ive ever seen), arent line breakers (Dumont, Mullett) or can't find it (Wagner, Mountford). There is a reason Shaun Higgins sticks out like dogs balls.

If we had to play a GF at Optus Oval when it's pissing down? I'd take our group. But in games played on billiard tables where the play never stops? We're out of of our depth. Geelong havent stayed on top because of Dangerfield. It's that 2nd tier that is suited to playing modern football.

I watch a lot of Geelong live and on TV because of family connections. They play beautiful football- and in the past 10 years it feels like they play a different sport to us. Their recruits are different and are trained to play the game differently. They've recruited for the modern game. Fast, run and carry, small. We've recruited for the 90s mudheaps.

We should compare recent recruits. Guthrie, Duncan, Motlop, Gregson, Jordan Murdoch, Lang, McCarthy, Cockatoo, Parfitt, Tuohy. All these blokes can run and carry, break lines, hit targets. They rotate through the middle, forward and back. When I see a Guthrie get through 2 tackles and hit a bloke 45 metres away, or Lang snap a goal on his left, or Murdoch potting goals from 50, it's clear we don't have that.

Ours? Garner, Turner, Simpkin (very early), Wagner, Mountford, Anderson, Mullett, McDonald, Dumont, Clarke, Jacobs. I love some of these guys. But there is no elite disposal amongst them. They'd all run through brick walls. But they either can't hit a target (Garner, McDonald, Simpkin, Jacobs, Anderson is the worst kick Ive ever seen), arent line breakers (Dumont, Mullett) or can't find it (Wagner, Mountford). There is a reason Shaun Higgins sticks out like dogs balls.

If we had to play a GF at Optus Oval when it's pissing down? I'd take our group. But in games played on billiard tables where the play never stops? We're out of of our depth. Geelong havent stayed on top because of Dangerfield. It's that 2nd tier that is suited to playing modern football.

You forgot to mention their luck with father and sons.

Geelong havent stayed on top because of Dangerfield. It's that 2nd tier that is suited to playing modern football.

You mostly had me until this. Their list was lucky to be top 8 last year without him.

And I want to clarify, Im not suggesting these young blokes are a write off. Far from it. They are the guts of a team, and I want all of them in there for the next 6-10 years.

But out drafting needs have been clear since we got Ziebell and Cunnington and Harvey/Wells crept up in age. And we have done nothing to address it.

Dunno about this - Geelong's second tier mids were pathetic at the business end last year. Motlop for example is the epitome of a downhill skier. Good signs for them early this year - Lang, Guthrie etc. seem to have stepped it up a notch, as they needed to - but I think you might be going a little bit early with this one. Simpkin is potentially elite full stop. Dumont is potentially elite kicking inside 50. Mullet is breaking lines. McDonald is backing himself in to take shots from outside 50.
I may be proven very wrong, but I still don't rate the Cats that highly. Think they'll be found out again come September.

I feel Hawthorn, Geelong and Sydney recruited well before GC and GWS cannabalised the drafts, kept everyone else from rebuilding properly and catching up with them.
This gave them a period of success for close to 10 years

Add to this the Free Agents that success attracted.

I am wondering how much of an advantage it is for player development, having a stand alone VFL side. I do recall that the WB started a stand alone VFL side on recommendation of ex coach Brendan McCartney, because of the success he knew it brought Geelong.

Jury still out for me:

They got Freo in round 1 who had to make several changes before being more competitive.
North who are average and had injuries eg: Waite and Goldy
Melbourne without Lewis and Hogan and Gawn went down with a hammy
Hawks and Saints who aren't much good either.

They won't be winning the flag this year and they won't be any time soon unless they recruit ready made key position players.
Lonergan, Mackie and Taylor all gone at end of year or year after.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back