Mod. Notice Competitions: READ BEFORE POSTING A COMPETITION

Remove this Banner Ad

PROPOSAL: AFLX - FESTIVAL OF THE BOOT! (anyone with a better name, help me pls.)

A 'quick fire' league comp that captures the carnival like spirit of everyone's favourite sport they know nothing about, AFL X™. Each designer will be tasked with creating a wacky AFL pre season/rugby sevens, nines etc./t20 cricket style guernsey for their own AFL club, if they were to participate in the upcoming AFL Xcompetition. Only a single kit is needed for an already established identity that each poster is familiar with, so hopefully this boosts entries and cuts down the time needed for people to get their designs in.

Once entries are closed clubs will be distributed into pools (trying to keep double up clubs separated west coast could be a challenge though based on uptake, whilst making sure that there is an even spread of talent across the pools.) which keeps the tournament down to around ten rounds with polls every weekday (the height of traffic on here imo) or every two days to keep things moving along and hopefully complete the season under a month in length, ending with a short finals series. This idea could very well be done in a weekly comp, but at the end of the day, entries can be scarce for less exiting/popular teams and some designers have mentioned the time strain of 'weeklies' so I feel as though this quick fire comp format could work better.

What would I (the designer) need to do?

-Figure out which AFL club you support (pretty straight forward I'd reckon!)

-Create a single AFL X™ kit (guernsey, shorts & socks, front and back) for your team using their current guernsey manufacturer.

-Not much is off limits in terms of design although there must be an adequately sized sponsor on the front and back as well as on the shorts, with stuff like numbers on the front, names on the back and even short sleeves all acceptable.

- Sponsors should be either club partners already (doesn't necessarily have to be current guernsey sponsors) or perhaps a local charity or even a foundation run by the club.

-I believe the comp will just use the standard AFL logo for now but if the AFL were to release a logo then we could use that, or if someone here has a concept they would like to put forward then I am happy to use that.

I would be more than happy to run it given I have a good idea how to go about it now, but if someone else would like to put it on then I'm happy to hand it over too, provided they can see it through from start to finish. I'm happy to discuss and improve anything above given that this idea is still pretty fresh and probably has some gaps.
I would participate

PROPOSAL: AFLX - FESTIVAL OF THE BOOT! (anyone with a better name, help me pls.)

A 'quick fire' league comp that captures the carnival like spirit of everyone's favourite sport they know nothing about, AFL X. Each designer will be tasked with creating a wacky AFL pre season/rugby sevens, nines etc./t20 cricket style guernsey for their own AFL club, if they were to participate in the upcoming AFL X competition. Only a single kit is needed for an already established identity that each poster is familiar with, so hopefully this boosts entries and cuts down the time needed for people to get their designs in.

Once entries are closed clubs will be distributed into pools (trying to keep double up clubs separated west coast could be a challenge though based on uptake, whilst making sure that there is an even spread of talent across the pools.) which keeps the tournament down to around ten rounds with polls every weekday (the height of traffic on here imo) or every two days to keep things moving along and hopefully complete the season under a month in length, ending with a short finals series. This idea could very well be done in a weekly comp, but at the end of the day, entries can be scarce for less exiting/popular teams and some designers have mentioned the time strain of 'weeklies' so I feel as though this quick fire comp format could work better.

-Create a single AFL X kit (guernsey, shorts & socks, front and back) for your team using their current guernsey manufacturer.

-Not much is off limits in terms of design although there must be an adequately sized sponsor on the front and back as well as on the shorts, with stuff like numbers on the front, names on the back and even short sleeves all acceptable.

- Sponsors should be either club partners already (doesn't necessarily have to be current guernsey sponsors) or perhaps a local charity or even a foundation run by the club.

-I believe the comp will just use the standard AFL logo for now but if the AFL were to release a logo then we could use that, or if someone here has a concept they would like to put forward then I am happy to use that.

I would be more than happy to run it given I have a good idea how to go about it now, but if someone else would like to put it on then I'm happy to hand it over too, provided they can see it through from start to finish. I'm happy to discuss and improve anything above given that this idea is still pretty fresh and probably has some gaps.

I'm interested.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

A 'quick fire' league comp that captures the carnival like spirit of everyone's favourite sport they know nothing about, AFL X™. Each designer will be tasked with creating a wacky AFL pre season/rugby sevens, nines etc./t20 cricket style guernsey for their own AFL club, if they were to participate in the upcoming AFL Xcompetition. Only a single kit is needed for an already established identity that each poster is familiar with, so hopefully this boosts entries and cuts down the time needed for people to get their designs in.

-Create a single AFL X™ kit (guernsey, shorts & socks, front and back) for your team using their current guernsey manufacturer.

please do it.

already know what I'd do for west coast (assuming I got them.)

please do it.

already know what I'd do for west coast (assuming I got them.)
Yeah, everyone would get their team, I just wouldn't accept 5 sets of identical ochre wings for example. (First in best dressed)

Side note - we used to have plenty of weekly comps that ran on simple premises and didn't have to have hub threads and groups and require any participation beyond putting an entry in a single thread. Real accessible. I think the above might be fun, even if it has been partially done under another banner.

It'd also be great if someone would pick up Logo of the Week. Nothing outside of league comps for logo design right now.

LogoOTW

If we are going to get regular entries and people actually want to enter and work on their logo skills, i'll run LogoOTW again. It got to the point near the end where we had maybe 3 entrants a round. But if there is enough support, I am very happy to run a comp that will help people develop their own logos from scratch. It did wonders for me in it's initial run.

The premise is simple:

The winner of the previous round picks a sports team from any sport anywhere in the world. Everyone wanting to enter designs a logo for that team. (In the initial run, we also did a few sporting body and competition logos, such as Cricket Australia and an AFL Grand Final logo)

The only criteria is that the logo does not borrow any element from anywhere and is 100% designed from scratch. The entry must be a single image no larger than 700 x 700.

I strongly encourage people to use the comp to practice their pen tool drawing skills. If the competition is for a Lion, draw a lion, not just a shield and a monogram for that team. It'll open up a whole new world of design possibilities to you.

Edit: Just a few of the polls from this comp so you can see what sort of entries we get.

LogoOTW 24: SC Freiburg

LogoOTW 19 - North Melbourne Football Club

LogoOTW 26: Essendon FC

LogoOTW 15: Box Hill Mustangs

LogoOTW 12: Dumbarton FC

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dylan you won round 30 with your MSpaint Collingwood effort. What do you choose for round 31?
That effort was completed in Photoshop using hundred dollar drawing hardware.

Hope this isn't too obscure but I thought about it when they were promoted to the Prem - Huddersfield Town. Soccer logos are usually a bit easier to start with.

Yep, chooses a football league logo because it is easy and then chooses one of the most difficult to redesign (as it likely needs stripes, castle, roses and a freaking terrier holding a ball).
Yeah, that dog is going to be a bitch to make. (pun intended)

I strongly encourage people to use the comp to practice their pen tool drawing skills. If the competition is for a Lion, draw a lion, not just a shield and a monogram for that team. It'll open up a whole new world of design possibilities to you.

Edit: Just a few of the polls from this comp so you can see what sort of entries we get.

LogoOTW 24: SC Freiburg

LogoOTW 19 - North Melbourne Football Club

LogoOTW 26: Essendon FC

LogoOTW 15: Box Hill Mustangs

LogoOTW 12: Dumbarton FC

Looking back I now remember why I think this competition died out. All the near professional designers stepped up and completely destroyed everyone else week after week. I think it became a bit soul destroying for those who tried really hard but had absolutely no shot at winning.

Realistically we should have gone back to the short lived and somehow not very highly entered Non Sports Logo of the Fortnight, which at least allowed those with lower logo skill a better chance as the logos required for that competition were far less complicated (hell I won a round of it and got close to winning on another one and we know how bad I was back then {and still kinda am now}).

Looking back I now remember why I think this competition died out. All the near professional designers stepped up and completely destroyed everyone else week after week. I think it became a bit soul destroying for those who tried really hard but had absolutely no shot at winning.

Realistically we should have gone back to the short lived and somehow not very highly entered Non Sports Logo of the Fortnight, which at least allowed those with lower logo skill a better chance as the logos required for that competition were far less complicated (hell I won a round of it and got close to winning on another one and we know how bad I was back then {and still kinda am now}).
Non Sports logo doesn't work as well because it's a sports design forum I guess.

I agree that GeekyGrub and Mowse won most of the time, but I still went from useless to actually winning a few rounds against those professionals.

Hopefully we get a good number of entries and we'll see how we go

Yep, chooses a football league logo because it is easy and then chooses one of the most difficult to redesign (as it likely needs stripes, castle, roses and a freaking terrier holding a ball).
You aren't expected to exactly replicate the Huddersfield logo. I'd suggest the terrier would be the focus in my entry.

Draw the terrier craegus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back