List Mgmt. CONFIRMED - Gary Rohan a Cat for pick 61

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent for him that he fulfilled a childhood dream, not many get to do it. To see a bloke who's obviously put in enormous work and loves the club is heartwarming.

However...

10 touches. 6 turnovers. 2 tackles. No goals.
Was the worst player on the ground IMO. (Geelong's worst at least)

I don't want him in the side in high pressure games, Friday night just put an exclamation point behind that. It'll continue to happen as the season progresses.

Worst on ground is a huge overreaction.

Worst on ground is a huge overreaction.

Not really, the only other 2 in the conversation for Geelong were Henry and Ratagoulea, and I ranked them both slightly ahead of Rohan.
He was AT BEST our 20th best player on Friday night. Calling him worst on ground or even our worst is far from an overreaction.

If others think he needs more time in the Geelong seniors to find his feet, fair enough. I disagree, but I see that argument. I just don't want to pretend Friday night was in any way a "passable" performance.

Not really, the only other 2 in the conversation for Geelong were Henry and Ratagoulea, and I ranked them both slightly ahead of Rohan.
He was AT BEST our 20th best player on Friday night. Calling him worst on ground or even our worst is far from an overreaction.

If others think he needs more time in the Geelong seniors to find his feet, fair enough. I disagree, but I see that argument. I just don't want to pretend Friday night was in any way a "passable" performance.
He doesn't need more time. His output was the same as his output over his career. He ain't getting any better. Recruiting Rohan and expecting something other than Rohan is like port recruiting jack watts and expecting something un jack watts like.

Writing him off after one game. Savages.

Give him a go. If nothing improves after 4 or 5 games, then start.

There is also 106 games at Sydney to factor in.

I know he'll get more chances, so my only hope is that across his next 2 years at the club, he continuously proves me wrong.
I was right in round 1. He'll get another chance in round 2 to make me look foolish. Even I'm hoping he can do it.

Call me crazy, but I thought in terms of forward craft he was our best on the night. Did not actually put his chances together, but of our players the only one that seemed more likely to spearhead aggressive scoring was potentially Dangerfield.

Obviously he doesn't have the contested/midfield type game that keeps guys like Atkins and Dahlhaus involved through the contest and able to more reliably contribute. That's part of why I was relatively pleased with Rohan - it's a very difficult role he's being asked to play. If he can maintain that pressuring, contested marking, and keep trying to gain separation to offer an out into space then I'll be very happy with his year regardless of disposal numbers.

Call me crazy, but I thought in terms of forward craft he was our best on the night. Did not actually put his chances together, but of our players the only one that seemed more likely to spearhead aggressive scoring was potentially Dangerfield.

Obviously he doesn't have the contested/midfield type game that keeps guys like Atkins and Dahlhaus involved through the contest and able to more reliably contribute. That's part of why I was relatively pleased with Rohan - it's a very difficult role he's being asked to play. If he can maintain that pressuring, contested marking, and keep trying to gain separation to offer an out into space then I'll be very happy with his year regardless of disposal numbers.

Agree with all of that and would add that 50M desperate rundown in the dying moments was inspirational.
Caused a vital spillage with the body contact enabling us to get the turnover and stop a Pies scoring opportunity

Pretty reasonable assessment, He did lead hard, fly for marks and create a few chances. Conversely, he took very few of them and turned the ball over 6 times. Unfortunately he's also a liability below his knees, which a player at 189cm can't afford to be. His pressure is interesting. He lacks agility, and is a poor tackler, so when trying to corral his man he gets beaten with ease. Conversely, when he's chasing from behind and can use his pace, his sustained speed makes his pressure in that area elite.

He had a crack, not doubting that. But turnovers under no pressure, inability to make an impact when the ball hit the ground. It was everything he did at Sydney, with a few extra clangers thrown in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The biggest problem with our forward line last year was getting outmarked and lack of pressure. Rohan competed really well (can't really remember him being outmarked) and the Collingwood defenders got very nervous due to our pressure of which he was an important part. Basically he was a key cog in a forward line that looked improved on last year.

Are we really going to lay into him after one game just because his stats weren't huge? He clearly contributed more than Esava, Miers, Henry and Blicavs (made a number of bad defensive errors) on the night and was comparable to a whole stack of others. He made a solid contribution and was a couple of pretty easy finishes away from having a big impact on the game.

I've highlighted a few times the fact that Rohan has been a low possession player all his carrier,and I rate Horse as a coach but he never unlocked the key to Rohan in 8 years at the Swans,what chance the new center bounce rule could see him start in there at times either breaking away with the ball or pressuring with a chase,before moving back to take up a possession as a high half forward,keep him more in the game.

It's amazing how things change. I'm his biggest fan and thought he was poor. Those same people who were critical of disposal numbers when I said he brings to the table what the team needs are now talking about that same pressure.

I wonder if that would have been the case had we lost?

Would have been the same for me..win or lose......I thought he added a lot to us...and he'll get better......Pick 61? what a steal...

What a strange way to dissect such a wonderful win...

Someone on here said Rohan can't mark over head....:rolleyes:....

and I thought Miers contributed well first up...others didn't...

I guess people assess footballers on different criteria.....

Someone on here said Rohan can't mark over head....:rolleyes:....

and I thought Miers contributed well first up...others didn't...

I guess people assess footballers on different criteria.....

Its the Menzel syndrome... some posters just cant see past their fave players

Would have been the same for me..win or lose......I thought he added a lot to us...and he'll get better......Pick 61? what a steal...
There is a certain point surely where you look at what a player cost you VS output.. If you give up a pick in the 60s and the player becomes a regular contributor that is a win IMO.. No idea why people are ready with the pitch forks already.. If it works it's a win, if it doesn't we haven't exactly sold the farm for him.
He battled first JLT then kicked 4 in JLT 2, I expect that pattern of frustration to be repeated a few times this year... But being on the see-saw, he'll kick multiple goals this weekend at home ;)

There is a certain point surely where you look at what a player cost you VS output.. If you give up a pick in the 60s and the player becomes a regular contributor that is a win IMO.. No idea why people are ready with the pitch forks already.. If it works it's a win, if it doesn't we haven't exactly sold the farm for him.
He battled first JLT then kicked 4 in JLT 2, I expect that pattern of frustration to be repeated a few times this year... But being on the see-saw, he'll kick multiple goals this weekend at home ;)

Cost V ouput and the time it takes to get that output. Pay 61 and he lines up game 1 its almost a FA. Is it Moneyball? Sure you can find players in the draft late etc but there is a lot of unknowns ..compare the picks that we have taken , the the players have used up years to try to develop and in the end delivered little.. and we have had a few picked early that have really chew up years of development and team spots and in the end have been dry wells.

Basically we have swapped him for Menz ... lets come back in few years and see who has played the most for both clubs.

I liked having Rohan in the forward line. His closing speed gives defenders the jitters and the Pies coughed it up a few times due to his chase.

Have a look at his chase down right before the final siren to get the ball for the last kick.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back