List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
I'm leaning toward wanting a big bodied mid like Hately, we are unlikely to find a very good high potential player with pick 3 in the MSD anyway.
At least Hately would bolster the Beagles while being a mature body replacement for Yeo if he gets injured or rested. Not only this year, but in the next couple of years as transition the list.
It's pretty clear we can't rely on Sheed to pick up any of the slack when Yeo isn't there.
Not a world beater but is middle age depth for the inside mid role.
Can focus on a good half back in the draft at the end of the year I reckon, better chance to find a long term prospect

I dont want Ruscoe as getting another 20something year old from elsewhere would bolster the Beagles, Ruscoe adds nothing

The issue with bringing in more mature talent is picking the RIGHT mature talent to bring in.
Don't want to go down the road like north of bringing in the Polacs and Logues.
Players that while able to play at AFL level don't really move the needle in progressing the squad either through their on field work or through off-field leadership.

I don't mind if the club goes slow in filling that 24-27 void as long as they are picking the right players that'll bring the right qualities to the club.

Why would you pay out a bloke who's shown promising signs as a defender, for yet another project ruck?

If we get Busslinger then yes, it might be something to look at in the rookie draft at the end of the year.

People say don't go for a sugar-hit of Ruscoe, then they want a sugar hit of a bloke who's likely to never play an AFL game to begin with.

Team is screaming out for reliable depth in Ruscoe's age range. it wouldn't be the worse thing to add a solid depth player who is AFL ready and clearly better than the majority of state league players available.

Short answer, because i think Jamieson isn't AFL quality, is injury prone and not good enough to make it as a KPD.

He's shown the most as a KPD, absolutely agree with that, but i'd rather not be tempted into wasting more time trying to turn him into something when you could just add a proper KPD by drafting one. This is his 5th year in the AFL now.

Sugar hit isn't drafting a project player, far from it, that's just sensible list management if that prospect looks good enough. We don't have to look at the MSD as instant impact, we're playing the long term here. We're the wooden spooners, nothing should really be happening with our list other than adding young talent for the future.

As for Ruscoe, age is less important to me than whether he is AFL quality or not. At the moment he's one of the Beagles better players, not one of the WAFL's. Which is a fair old rung below the AFL, which he has already spent 4 years in the system mind you.

Short answer, because i think Jamieson isn't AFL quality, is injury prone and not good enough to make it as a KPD.

He's shown the most as a KPD, absolutely agree with that, but i'd rather not be tempted into wasting more time trying to turn him into something when you could just add a proper KPD by drafting one. This is his 5th year in the AFL now.

Sugar hit isn't drafting a project player, far from it, that's just sensible list management if that prospect looks good enough. We don't have to look at the MSD as instant impact, we're playing the long term here. We're the wooden spooners, nothing should really be happening with our list other than adding young talent for the future.

As for Ruscoe, age is less important to me than whether he is AFL quality or not. At the moment he's one of the Beagles better players, not one of the WAFL's. Which is a fair old rung below the AFL, which he has already spent 4 years in the system mind you.

He’s in the 34 man WAFL state squad suggesting he is one of the better WAFL players

I don't feel strongly either way but the talk of picking another kid/middling mature age player to bolster the WAFL is something that sounds good but in reality will amount to 4/5ths of fk all.

The WAFL team is ****ed on every line. There's a lot more 'talent' this year and it's only slightly less dysfunctional.

Nothing short of blowing it up and starting again is going to fix that shit show.

Think you're really underselling Trey here.

Been more than good for the Beagles and would be tearing it up at a stronger side (i.e. literally any other club).

In regards to Jamieson, he's still got a year to run, is in the age bracket/position we need depth in and has actually shown AFL traits as a defender, after doing pretty much nothing the rest of the time he's been on the list.

If he were still rucking/playing forward, I'd agree with you.

HEdwards is 50/50 to get another contract and there's no standout players in the MSD. With the list position we're currently in, we're better off bringing in mature talent through(21-24yo) the MSD, unless there is a clear standout at our pick, which is incredibly unlikely.

Getting another likely list-clogger for 18 months is probably not what we want to be doing in the MSD, at this stage. It's an utter crapshoot, outside of the first pick, so another 6 months to assess those not picked up isn't a bad thing.

I'd rather just have an extra spot for the ND at the end of the year, or an SSP.

A solid game from Moraes who spent more time on ball than he has for most of the season and responded by finding a stack of the footy. He ran all game and linked the play well with hands. His kicking was a bit of a lottery, some nice accurate passes and some sprayed.

Thanks Noobers
He did have 2 stinker kicks, but the rest were fine.
I particularly like that he always collects the ball on the move, can rack it up and/or hit the scoreboard, and doesn't seem to get caught (is quick with hands & decent evasiveness). Also a good link-up player with decent toe.
IMO so much more to like than a Jagga Smith

If he's that good he's not lasting to pick 10.
Guys like Lachie Ash, Hayden Young, Kade Kolo etc who were seen as elite half backs go inside the first half dozen
He’s good. The replay of the CTL Bendigo vs Northern is worth a watch. I don’t think he’ll push as high as the first half dozen given the number of quality mids in this draft but it’s definitely possible he goes top 10 in which case I’d rather we keep our pick and take the best mid available at this stage. I’m hoping another 1-2 dashing HBFs declares themselves at the champs and a few of the KPPs push into the top ten.

Hopefully he does enough to put himself firmly on our recruiter’s radar but doesn’t explode at the champs. He’s a Bendigo Pioneer and posters on our board close to the team have said he’d be keen to link up with Harley again. Be great if at the combine interviews he told us he’d love to play in the royal blue and gold and we see the first evidence of the Harley effect.

If he's that good he's not lasting to pick 10.
Guys like Lachie Ash, Hayden Young, Kade Kolo etc who were seen as elite half backs go inside the first half dozen
Agreed, I’d be just as happy to take travaglia and Lalor.

I think we’ll be in a fine position in 2025 draft to pick up a quality outside mid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks Noobers
He did have 2 stinker kicks, but the rest were fine.
I particularly like that he always collects the ball on the move, can rack it up and/or hit the scoreboard, and doesn't seem to get caught (is quick with hands & decent evasiveness). Also a good link-up player with decent toe.
IMO so much more to like than a Jagga Smith
He has great hands and his work in traffic is 1st class but his ball drop is just terrible. Something he's going to need to work on as the quicker tempo at the top level is going to make it stand out.

Id be surprised if we aint picking Ruscoe here.

I think he would be playing AFL football on Sunday if he was on our list. He is that HFF who can slot in to play some midfield minutes which is basically what we are missing when Brockman goes AWOL and Petch is injured.

For someone like Hatley would he really wanna move his entire life for just 6 months to play in the worst team in the country in the WAFL Eagles? A guy like that may want more guarantees then we are willing to give him

Whilst Ruscoe might help short term, you've got to ask what his longer term role, if any would look like in our 22.

I'd rather take a punt on a raw rookie who wasn't ready to be drafted last year, with a bit more upside to them, than a 23yr old utility who is only getting a look because he's playing for our WAFL team and is one of the Beagles better players.

Change Ruscoe from the Beagles to the Demons and he woudn't even be in the discussion IMO.

Maric on the other hand, looks like he can have a solid AFL career. Jury's out on Culley.

On the plus side it might make more players consider joining the Beagles if there’s more of a chance at elevation to the AFL from MSD.

I agree with your logic but if there’s no one we want and it’s just a 6 month contract, why not elevate him to the AFL list as a reward for battling it out in our WAFL team. Plus there’s been plenty of 20+ yr olds come in and make an impact at AFL level.

Why couldnt we give a guy like Hately 18 months like most of the MSD guys want?

Yeo is no guarantee to play every game for the rest of this year or next year, we need somebody to be able to fill his role when hes out/rested/on the bench and be competitive without disrupting the rest of our team by taking Duggan or something who plays very differently anyway. Our gameplan right now seems to rely on winning clearances, not much good if we cant win contest when 1 guy is out.

Who are our mids over the age of 21 right now who can play inside mid feeding the ball out to the youngsters in a Yeo sort of role?
Sheed - hopefully the coaching staff recognise hes no good and we continue to move on from him. He was dropped the other week so hopefully that continues. He has a foot injury to manage anyway.
Kelly - Better as the 2nd or 3rd mid
Trew - Probably delisted, worse than a guy like Hately
L.Edwards - Not our guy
Duggan - Better off half back or in a more defensive midfield role

Thats about all of them, all our other mids are in their 1st or 2nd years or Chesser.
Ginbey is probably better suited to be a more outside player than inside bull with his athleticism, Reid cant be the main guy in his 1st/2nd year. No other young player we have is ready.
Ruscoe isnt this player either.

Flynn is a nice ruckman but he wont be dominating to the point where we can get away with a weaker midfield

Hately is 23, still young. I did notice at the crows he was wasted on a wing most of the time rather than in his preferred inside mid role, some chance he has something to give at AFL level in his preferred role.

I guess its similar to that DevRob sort of role we were looking at last year.
Its clearly a gap on the list that may need some bridging, and hasnt been much talk of us being linked to an inside mid F/A or trade target that ive seen for this year. If in 18 months hes no good, all good hed have been solid depth and a good player in the beagles.
Doesnt have to be Hately, but something similar would be nice, seeing as there is no real amazing pick for us in the MSD anyway

The 18yos with upside aren’t the sugar hit and that’s the point, they need development and someone like Noah Howes has a far higher ceiling than Ruscoe. Ben Hopkins needs multiple preseasons but the raw ability is there. If we’re going down the path of a mature body then I’d rather get a mid to protect the young inside mids. We’re well stocked for bigger bodies forward and back.

Also, we’ve had 4 MSD picks, 3 have played AFL and 2 of those are still on the list so on that metric they are actually more likely to play an AFL game than not.

Despite the above, as I’ve said previously I suspect the club is thinking along the same lines as you.

Noah Howes is a good option 196cm CHF and still only 18 yrs old..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Id be surprised if we aint picking Ruscoe here.

I think he would be playing AFL football on Sunday if he was on our list. He is that HFF who can slot in to play some midfield minutes which is basically what we are missing when Brockman goes AWOL and Petch is injured.

For someone like Hatley would he really wanna move his entire life for just 6 months to play in the worst team in the country in the WAFL Eagles? A guy like that may want more guarantees then we are willing to give him
Practically everyone who has played AFL and been cut would sell their own mother to get back on a list.

Watching Ruscoe at WAFL he has some class but not standing out as reserves have been belted. He has made state side so technically in best 30 -35 at WAFL level.
He was only squeezed out of the best side in AFL last year because you have to turn over 3 and they had to many medium mid/forwards.

Watching Ruscoe at WAFL he has some class but not standing out as reserves have been belted. He has made state side so technically in best 30 -35 at WAFL level.
He was only squeezed out of the best side in AFL last year because you have to turn over 3 and they had to many medium mid/forwards.
True, but then 17 other clubs ignored him in the main draft.

I'm neither here nor there on Ruscoe, but our hit rate with previously delisted players isn't exactly strong.

Not really. Quite a few players skip the mid season draft to wait for the main one

If im Hatley id be very wary of joining Eagles over say Brisbane Lions who have picks after us also
There's no guarantees in football, these players have already been passed over by every club in the country once, they would jump at the first opportunity to get on a list and revive their career knowing that opportunity may never come again.

There's no place for Ruscoe up forward were stacked with key forwards and third tall's. If we took him i'd imagine it would be to compete for a spot in defence with Rotham and Witherden which would be fine. He's probably a bit tougher than both of those guys, but probably a worse field kick.

Out of the other prospects i like McLachlan and i feel like he also fills a need on our list.

True, but then 17 other clubs ignored him in the main draft.

I'm neither here nor there on Ruscoe, but our hit rate with previously delisted players isn't exactly strong.

There's no guarantees in football, these players have already been passed over by every club in the country once, they would jump at the first opportunity to get on a list and revive their career knowing that opportunity may never come again.
Mid season draft isnt working like the other draft. A ton of due dilligence done before selecting a player. When recruiters walk into that room they 100% know who is going where already. If Hatley said he doesnt want to come, we aint picking the guy for example

Remove this Banner Ad

Back