List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Don’t see how adding an extra rookie listed player in the midseason draft robs us of a senior list spot in November. Worst case is we elect to keep the player on the rookie list for 2025, in which case we’re down a rookie list spot.

Dewar doesn’t need to be upgraded. Neither does Maric. Culley does.
No i understand that. I just think it removes some flexibility (ie moving players to rookie etc) and personally unless it is a kid with upside id probably just pass.

In regards to rookies thanks for comfirming.

Culley upgrade means anothet list spot requited. Intersting times ahead.

My issue with MSD, if there is no standout prospect, it potentially robs us off a spot in the ND.

These are the players out of contract end of the year:

witherden
Gaff
Burgiel
Yeo
Barnett
L Edwards
Jack williams
H edwards
J jones
J culley -- rookie
Baker -- rookie
rotham
Rawlinson -- rookie
Trew -- rookie
Dewar -- cat B

Assuming we want to bring in 2 players via trade and or FA (ie. Buss and perryman)
Then probably a minimum of 3 in the ND.

Thats 5 we need a mainlist spot for.

From the above

Gaff and JJ look like most obvious cuts

yeo and Jwilliams priority renewals

Witho, rotham and Ledwards seem like options but are all in the 22.

Burgiel, Barnett, culley to me seem like guys we should persist with. Culley may be required to go main list?

Dewar im assuming needs to be upgraded to main rookie list ?

I think baker and trew will be gone.
Maybe rawlinson to if dewar is upgraded.

Hedwards is a tricky one. He is okay depth and could be more. But feels like he goes or CJ gsts moved to rookie list to open a main list spot.

I also think we should pay out sheed and call it a day. But i doubt the club feels the same way.

Anyway long story shirt, as crazy as it sounds i dont think opening up 5 main list spots is as clear cut as we think and msd loses us even more flexibility in that regard.

That being said if there is a kid with upside i still hope we have a crack. Just not sure a ruscoe type is worth the increased inflexibility.
No i understand that. I just think it removes some flexibility (ie moving players to rookie etc) and personally unless it is a kid with upside id probably just pass.

Culley for instance specified an 18 month contract cause he knew he was guaranteed to get picked up, but if we want we could just make sure we pick someone who's only on the 6 month deal - then absolute worst case we get another body in our WAFL side/reserve AFL player to throw at the wall and just delist at the end of the year, keeping all the flexibility

Bailey would make sense for them. Nank is close to retiring and Samson Ryan is having a poor year.

I'd be open to it, i think J.Williams has more potential than Bailey in the key forward/2nd ruck role.

We’re very keen on Baker, Baker is very keen on us.

We aren’t keen on trading significant draft capital to get it done.

Baker won’t go through PSD.

The only way we can get the deal done is by including a player in the trade.

Richmond have had long term interest in Duggan going back to to his draft year, but apparently he is about to resign.

Chesser, ReidX2, Long would be off the table.

I think Culley would be off the table as well.

Burgiel doesn’t have the trade value.

Cant see any of our WA/SA blokes being interested.

Really only leaves BWilliams.

We should be able to find 5 list spots easily, 6 is doable and 7 is probably pushing it unless we trade out a player. We have Trew, Baker, and Culleys rookie spots probably free at the end of the year too, so the MSD pick shouldnt affect the rookie side of things too much

Richmond have had long term interest in Duggan going back to to his draft year, but apparently he is about to resign.

Interesting to see whether Baz is keen on the move after signing on. He is one of a few who has value and could be surplus to needs depending on other moves we make. Would like to retain him, but he's not a must keep.

Culley hasn't signed on, to my knowledge. All reports are his attitude and commitment to getting back has been nothing short of incredible, but he might get himself going just in time to return back to Vic, which would be a bummer.

Some goss that if Baker decides to come to west coast it would not involve picks. More likely to include a player.

Someone on here from a 3rd club said Tiges had asked about chesser but I don’t think it will be him or anyone of our young players.

I wonder if we’d consider trading Bailey back to Victoria given we have Flynn, and have young developing ruck stocks and decent forward stocks.

Would leave us very exposed if Flynn went down next year.
It wouldn't be a bad trade. I really like BBW but he will never be a primary ruck (when we have an alternative like Flynn) due to his size and I have never seen why he is talked about so much as a forward- cant kick for shit. Given our forward stocks are looking pretty good with Waterman , Maric and JWill all looking the goods and Oscar to come back in, BW may be surplus to needs next year. He is too good to waste away in the WAFL.
It would leave us exposed a bit in the ruck dept if Flynn goes down but if that means getting more games into Barnett and Livingstone in another development year, its not a bad thing.
If it was a straight swap, I think I would do it.

Maybe Petch, could there be a Petch + BW for Baker + K.Smith with picks to even it up?

It wouldn't be a bad trade. I really like BBW but he will never be a primary ruck (when we have an alternative like Flynn) due to his size and I have never seen why he is talked about so much as a forward- cant kick for s**t. Given our forward stocks are looking pretty good with Waterman , Maric and JWill all looking the goods and Oscar to come back in, BW may be surplus to needs next year. He is too good to waste away in the WAFL.
It would leave us exposed a bit in the ruck dept if Flynn goes down but if that means getting more games into Barnett and Livingstone in another development year, its not a bad thing.
If it was a straight swap, I think I would do it.

Hello old friend,

I recall us having a bit of an argy bargy last year when I said we had met with English at the end of the year and made an offer of 6x 1 million to English.

c42dec2ec0f77574903d967b38606a36.jpg

“West Coast signalled its interest in English over summer and has previously courted the West Australian.”

I did say at the time that it would come out in the wash eventually.

Maybe Petch, could there be a Petch + BW for Baker + K.Smith with picks to even it up?

I didn’t think of petch, but I can’t see it.

I can’t remember Petch contract status off the top of my head, but he’s is very settled in WA. Has a long term girlfriend and would only leave if we decided to cut the cord imo.

Not really. Quite a few players skip the mid season draft to wait for the main one

If im Hatley id be very wary of joining Eagles over say Brisbane Lions who have picks after us also
We’re most likely looking at best available, who is a genuine chance to make an AFL list at our first pick. Small forward and key defender probably the two greatest needs.

After that, we’re most likely looking for players happy with a 6 month contract, just to bolster the depth of our VFL team.

Chesser off the table in exchange for Baker?

Ridiculous position. Has echoes of the Brander Kelly situation. Don’t we ever learn?

Holding out on trading an underwhelming player and then overpaying in a trade for a desired player.

I hope this is not the club’s view. M Clarke has a big and challenging job to put together a decent list.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmm could see Williams for Baker if we still held an interest in English.

I should have put a caveat in my post.

I don’t believe we are chasing English at all costs anymore.

Head knock over the summer which took a long time to recover from, the Angus Brayshaw situation, and English’s form coincided and we are lukewarm on him now.

Trading BW would leave us very exposed in the ruck if we didn’t trade in another ready to go player.

BW may never be a dominant force but at least he can compete unlike Barnett and Jamieson.

Flynn is very injury prone and we need a backup, if it’s not BW then we need someone else.

I should have put a caveat in my post.

I don’t believe we are chasing English at all costs anymore.

Head knock over the summer which took a long time to recover from, the Angus Brayshaw situation, and English’s form coincided and we are lukewarm on him now.

It has certainly gone very quiet.

Hmm could see Williams for Baker if we still held an interest in English.
We just have too many KPFs who are too good for WAFL to be able to get value out of BW. BW is worth too much to be playing WAFL.
Find a cheap ruckman from somewhere to use as depth if we have to. Doesnt have to be English
Chesser off the table in exchange for Baker?

Ridiculous position. Has echoes of the Brander Kelly situation. Don’t we ever learn?

Holding out on trading an underwhelming player and then overpaying in a trade for a desired player.

I hope this is not the club’s view.
Is he underwhelming because he just isnt any good? or is it in large part due to how we use the wings? The club will surely have better insight than us here, but its very obvious we arent giving Chesser much opportunity to get the ball to show us something. This probably wont change regardless who we throw on a wing

Trading BW would leave us very exposed in the ruck if we didn’t trade in another ready to go player.

BW may never be a dominant force but at least he can compete unlike Barnett and Jamieson.

Flynn is very injury prone and we need a backup, if it’s not BW then we need someone else.
BW is worth too much to leave in the WAFL, and he will be fighting for a spot with JW who is also too good for WAFL. Trade him for the value of a mid 20s pick or something and find a cheap ruck elsewhere if we need to

Some goss that if Baker decides to come to west coast it would not involve picks. More likely to include a player.

Someone on here from a 3rd club said Tiges had asked about chesser but I don’t think it will be him or anyone of our young players.

I wonder if we’d consider trading Bailey back to Victoria given we have Flynn, and have young developing ruck stocks and decent forward stocks.

Would leave us very exposed if Flynn went down next year.
This has logic to it. Bailey has had a great 18 months plus we have been very vocal his best role is as a KPF. A KPF is almost always worth more than a ruck and Lynch is possibly cooked (or at least his last 2 seasons have been mainly in rehab). All this leads to Bailey being probably the same in trade value as Baker.

The loss of Bailey does leave us exposed hence we would need a Meeks type ruckman as Jamieson is not the answer and Barnett is a couple of years off. Could we snare Knobel away from Freo as the opportunities for senior AFL are minimal and they have a full cupboard of rucks. Knobel looks ready to play from the limited Peel games I’ve watched (admittedly the often undersized WAFL rucks can flatter taller ruck stats).

The improvement in Jack Williams this year has been really noticeable and he has looked more dangerous up front that Bailey. His ruckwork is well behind being a number 1 ruck.

Is he underwhelming because he just isnt any good? or is it in large part due to how we use the wings? The club will surely have better insight than us here, but its very obvious we arent giving Chesser much opportunity to get the ball to show us something. This probably wont change regardless who we throw on a wing
My answer to this question would be in the affirmative.

The evidence points to this conclusion.

Can we do Baker and Graham to West Coast for their first rounder and maybe throw some 3rd rounder?
Then we either keep that pick or try and get GC’s 2 first rounders.
The dream would be we get Jagga Smith and Finn O’Sullivan and it’d be a great result of who goes out of the club and who comes in. Or spread our chances and grab one of those 2 with our 1st pick then try and grab one of the Whitlock bros or a slider. Hope we play some hardball and use some of the goodwill we’ve built up over the years from letting players go for 4th or 5th round picks.

Posting this from the Tiges board for the lulz

I’d want to see a bit of durability from Flynn and Barnett in the second half of the year before I traded BBW.

We could go and add a state league ruckman as cover, but that hasn’t really worked out for us lately (Brooksby, Strnadica).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back