Coronavirus 2020 / Worldwide (Stats live update in OP) Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 6:

Well there is a massive gulf between knowingly spreading aids and accidentally breathing near someone. Should those who have had the covid shot, but still spread it to others be liable too?
I agree. Im just pointing out the knowingly spreading a dangerous virus can be criminal.

'Knowingly spread HIV' - big difference between that and getting covid and needing medical attention....
Yeh, i never once said that people who refuse the jab and get COVID should be denied medical attention.

I like how they think its an engineered biological weapon designed to destroy the west (by whom they mean LolTrumf) but at the same time its a harmless sniffle

To be fair, they could technically be right on both counts...being Chinese made and all.

My apologies on the first point, I must have missed it. And you may be perfectly correct with the second point too, but people are perfectly entitled to be completely self serving. Making people who have passed on viruses to others (there are other deadly contagious respiratory viruses of course), pay for there or their own medical treatment, or somehow be found criminally liable (as some others have suggested) is absurd.

Absolutely they should be held criminally liable.

As should whackjobs who spread anti-vaxxing propaganda without established scientific data to back up their claims.

Well there is a massive gulf between knowingly spreading aids and accidentally breathing near someone. Should those who have had the covid shot, but still spread it to others be liable too?

Another obtuse idiot.

Those who have been vaccinated mitigate the risk.

We all know what happens when it gets into those townhouses.

Gonna be a long winter again....

It may not be the case with these ones (I’ve been in there before).

There are shared facilities, but the block of 100 that you hear on the news is a bit misleading, as the 100 would be the whole complex that is sub divided into a bunch of separate townhouses that may have 4-6 units in each of them. I can see it spreading easily to the other units confined to that townhouse, but the other townhouses are separate structures that shouldn’t share things like lifts, stairs, ventilation and the like.

Absolutely they should be held criminally liable.

As should whackjobs who spread anti-vaxxing propaganda without established scientific data to back up their claims.
So if someone disagress with YOUR OPINION about vaxxing, it should be made a criminal offence?
Ok , solid logic champ.
Yeah nice flex.

I trust you won't tap into the taxpayer funded medical system if you do, given you are an anti-vaxxing parasite?

Decent people shouldn't be funding grubs like you.
People who choose to smoke shouldn't be looked after by the hospital system either. Or people with diabetes from overating and under exercising?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's not a fair position.

The current narrative of facts is that covid-19 is super deadly and if you and everyone you know aren't getting vaccinated for free then you're contributing to the potential suffering and death of others.

How could you not think someone a monster for choosing the violent option?

Well it could be medical reasons, or could be they don't want to take the risk, no matter how minute. Who are any of us to tell them they must take a risk with their health that they don't want to?
Everything in day-to-day life carries more than minute risk.

That's not a fair position.

The current narrative of facts is that covid-19 is super deadly and if you and everyone you know aren't getting vaccinated for free then you're contributing to the potential suffering and death of others.

How could you not think someone a monster for choosing the violent option?
Covid-19 isn't super deadly. It has a 99.7% recovery rate and 99.9% for anyone under 50.

Covid-19 isn't super deadly. It has a 99.7% recovery rate and 99.9% for anyone under 50.
That's just a fact, not the public perception. People are scared that they will contribute to the death of the elderly and that's convenient.

Because it's actually got nothing to do with them. The machine behind the scenes is responsible for keeping it out, it may also have been responsible for letting it out too but that's a different issue.

Doesnt it really come down to the level of inconvenience of getting the jab versus the benefit.

For most people (myself included) the inconvenience of getting the jab is incredibly minor (an hour out of my day) and the risk is also incredibly low.

The benefit is opening up the state, country and world as well as protecting some of the most vulnerable people in the community.

Its such a minor ask it seems like a no brainer to me.

Doesnt it really come down to the level of inconvenience of getting the jab versus the benefit.

For most people (myself included) the inconvenience of getting the jab is incredibly minor (an hour out of my day) and the risk is also incredibly low.

The benefit is opening up the state, country and world as well as protecting some of the most vulnerable people in the community.

Its such a minor ask it seems like a no brainer to me.
Depends on where you are though. Way it's gone so far people can't get jabbed at thier nearest place and end up having to travel a bit.

Depends on where you are though. Way it's gone so far people can't get jabbed at thier nearest place and end up having to travel a bit.
Well i still cant get the jab at all, no doubt it wont be THAT easy when my turn does come but still.

Make it 2 hours, hell make it 4 hours, its still a small inconvenience for the benefit.

Well i still cant get the jab at all, no doubt it wont be THAT easy when my turn does come but still.

Make it 2 hours, hell make it 4 hours, its still a small inconvenience for the benefit.

Do you believe in the promise of opened nations/borders and protected elderly once the vaccines are widely distributed?

Do you believe in the promise of opened nations/borders and protected elderly once the vaccines are widely distributed?

I think it makes any argument for locking down borders extremely difficult to justify.

As for the protection of the elderly, more vaxxed means less transmission, whatever govt messaging is provided that is fact.

Do you not?
I think we have a combination of factors working against it playing out.
One of them is that the people are far more scared of the virus than what it represents as a threat to them, their perception of the death rates are orders of magnitude above reality - this had lead to people wanting the doors closed, the borders up and the outside kept out - a single case in the community causes panic and isn't acceptable.

The vaccines will not end this transmission into the community, we will require a shift in culture where hundreds or even thousands of cases in the public are not a problem as that will be what happens when the quarantine system is dismantled and the people can freely travel globally again. Thousands of people returning a day.
I think it makes any argument for locking down borders extremely difficult to justify.

As for the protection of the elderly, more vaxxed means less transmission, whatever govt messaging is provided that is fact.

It absolutely does make it harder to justify but objectively the difference in risk to Australians even with 99% vaccine effectiveness is an actual difference of less than a percent. Granted almost all of that risk is to the elderly who as you mention are getting that extra percent of protection.

What I expect to happen is that the doors will open, people under 70 will notice no real difference but we will see significantly more deaths in the elderly and vulnerable on the statistics - if we can grow a culture that won't blame politicians for every one of those deaths, currently every covid-19 death is considered preventable and the fault of someone who let it in/out into the community with a political cost attached, then those figures won't ever make the news and nobody will care. We will see significant increase in our zero cases since the virus will be endemic, these seem to find their way to nursing homes like a magnet.

As long as we think everything is going well then it is.

It all comes down to people accepting that open the borders will mean more cases, opening up to the world means more cases - more cases will result in deaths.

I'm not sure have the political will yet to move on from this into that next phase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back