Countering the Don't Argue

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
I love to see a good Don’t Argue executed.

But one of the other things I love about our game is that it is constantly evolving; even willing to take on techniques from other sports. Tactical trends emerge, and then we start to see the emergence of tactics for countering those tactics. Look at the way tackling techniques have evolved, and the way we’ve seen the emergence of counter-techniques for dealing with tackles. (You might even say the Shuey is currently on the other foot.)

So, why haven’t we really seen much evidence that any thought has been put into countering the Don’t Argue? (Hereafter referred to as the DA.)

Currently, if a DA is well-timed and placed, the inevitable result is opponents falling away like extras in a bad action movie.

But it’s not as if (despite what you might think from the name) there’s no possible answer to it. No situation is beyond remedy. Footballers are strong, toned, balanced, and gifted with much faster reflexes than you or me.

Here’s one thought, borrowing from another sport.

Although my entire martial arts experience consists of a mere 18 months of kung fu training several decades ago, there are two relevant things I still clearly remember from that time –

1. keeping a low centre of gravity, and

2. deflecting your opponent’s attacks, rather than copping the full brunt.

I see both of these as potentially useful options for defenders to keep in the front of their minds when contesting with a player known for using the DA.

The low centre of gravity - because the DA is mostly about knocking an opponent off balance, or at least stopping them in their tracks. Might we see a time when players approaching a known Don’t Arguer adopt more of a crouching stance, making themselves hard to knock off balance, and also a smaller target in the process? Might be worth a thought.

And the deflection – my modest kung fu training taught that, with practice, a blow from even a much bigger and heavier opponent can easily be knocked harmlessly to the side. It’s all a question of being ready for it so you can react instantly, and let’s face it, most exponents of the DA are well known for it, so there’s little excuse for not being ready.

Could footballers be trained to be ready to deflect the outthrust arm, and continue forward in the same movement, to implement a tackle? We might start to see players contemptuously put out the DA, only to find it being brushed harmlessly aside, and themselves bundled unceremoniously onto their arse, or over the boundary line.

Over to those of you with far greater martial arts (and indeed football) experience.

I thought the Swans, especially Lloyd, did well last time they played the Tigers in round 13. Repeatedly tackled from the extended arm by Lloyd and Hewett.

You pretty much just tackle the arm and yank it down, or leverage the arm upwards and tip him off balance, since his body weight will typically be opposite direction of his arm.

The don't argue works well when spinning, or giving off a kick. Martin's works well because he's strong, has long reach, and has a superb low centre of gravity, so he's bloody hard to get off his feet anyway.

could work - get low and try and bear hug the hips...might force a high fend off too.

Could also slap the don't argue arm inwards and lay a normal tackle simultaneously judo style....that would look magnificent.

Turn a player like Dustin Martin in to a predominately stationary handballer and his effectiveness greatly disappears.

The best way to counter the don't argue is to duck into it and get a 'high fend-off' free. It'll take the AFL years to realise what's going on and then they'll stuff up the solution, so you're good for 5-10 years.

Prediction: Joel Selwood to start the trend.

Take the hips and concede a handball
Hmm, personally I think conceding a handball is the last thing you want to do. Once a player has got rid of the ball they've done their job.

By definition, a player needs both arms in order to execute a handball, so if one arm has been deflected out of the way, that task just got a lot harder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

man-who-catch-fly-with-chopstick-accomplish-anything.jpg

Rioli-esque standing "chicken wing" (one arm grab wrist and twist)

Accept the dont argue, but grab the wrist, twist and fall, dragging the opponent with you. They cannot dispose other than kick, yet are off balance and falling over you so cant get boot to ball.

This- and someone is going to cop a dreadful shoulder AC injury when defences wise up.

It is really just a question of judgment and timing- if an opposition player with the ball is damn fool enough to hold out one of their hands to you- forget about tackling their centre mass, grab the arm they've helpfully extended and pull them in.

Suddenly they are incapable of legally disposing of it and if they continue to try and pull in the opposite direction they are going to be in a lot of pain and a split second away from a serious shoulder injury.

The reason the don't argue works is because it is unexpected and tacklers tend to instinctively try and pin arms and hit centre mass. Teams really need to start training for it.

The fend off isn't something new, players rarely attempt it because to properly execute the fend off you actually need all the other components to actually be able to do it, Martin has all the ingredients needed to make it work so often, very rarely do you get a combination of pure brute strength, with explosive speed off a few steps and absolute core strength, one of the more memorable fend offs was the one where he injured the bomber players (forgot name is now at the doggies) shoulder while pushing off, that just shows you how much strength he is using to fend opponents, Martin has also been caught fending off, but his core strength allows him to standup in the tackle and still dish the ball off.

He's been doing it since his junior days and right throughout his AFL career.

Let's be honest, there's only one player in the league who consistently does it well, Dusty is far away the best player in the league at this fend off.

Players need to counter it, but grab and twist the arm? Come on, the counter can't be to dislocate his shoulder or damage his arm.

Easier said than done but i think the best tactic would be to grab the DA arm with both hands and drag the opponent down.

Other option would be deflecting the arm by literally hitting it to the side with your own hand.

He's smart because he's actually pushing blokes in the throat (see gif above for example)... and it's not being paid as high contact for some reason.
If the gif is an example of Martin pushing blokes in the throat, why does the Essendon player spin off clutching his arm?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back