Damien Hardwick says "I don’t have to remind anyone in this room what our track record is against the Cats on the biggest stage”

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're all hoping that having a midfield group that can actually gain a clearance advantage (let alone stopping the oppo midfield walking it out of the stoppage) will help the team defense massively. The way the game is played now we can't simply rely on winning it back as our 1 wood anymore. Taranto and Hopper will be huge for us along with Prestia in winning first use. Our forward line was #1 in the comp over home and away for scoring, if we can limit scores against, we should be right up there next season IMO.
Yes, the law of averages of getting the ball increasing should decrease time without ball to an extent or other.

However, Tiges were often a collander in 22, fun to watch, but leaky.

I'm of the view this is a coaching rather than just a personnel thing. Must have smart fast players to work with, sure, but the coaching strategy comes to the fore. Never has it been more critical.

I'm really interested whether Dimma and co. can come again with a V2.0. V1.0 was pretty good, a 2nd successful strategy renovation would be quite amazing. Not many coaches can do it.

Yes, the law of averages of getting the ball increasing should decrease time without ball to an extent or other.

However, Tiges were often a collander in 22, fun to watch, but leaky.

I'm of the view this is a coaching rather than just a personnel thing. Must have smart fast players to work with, sure, but the coaching strategy comes to the fore. Never has it been more critical.

I'm really interested whether Dimma and co. can come again with a V2.0. V1.0 was pretty good, a 2nd successful strategy renovation would be quite amazing. Not many coaches can do it.
Yeah it will be interesting. In the past successful coaches struggle to change things up and adapt once they get worked out or the comp catches up. Dimma seems to be a fairly progressive guy and is big on the self help stuff but he is also a stubborn bugger. Hopefully he has the courage to shake things up like Chris Scott did last year rather than just sticking with what he knows. Identifying and acquiring Taranto and Hopper are a huge first step.

Either way things will be somewhat different without Kingsley who has been our midfield/stoppage coach for the last few years. Not sure who is taking over that position. Rutten back should also help defensivley too.

56 and a person’s argument doesn’t become childish merely because it is inconvenient to a position you are wanting to perpetrate. 😁

I don’t say Geelong’s 4 Premierships in the last 60 years are worthless, no Premiership is worthless. That is a silly thing for you to say. I just say there is a self-created stain on Geelong's flags, and they have never beaten in a Grand Final one of the top 7 teams at converting finals appearances to Grand Final wins in my lifetime. They are 0-6 against those teams in Grand Finals. But they are 4-0 v Second Division teams in Grand Finals, indicating the Cats are too good for Second Division, but not quite good enough to beat a Div 1 team in a Grand Final, more or less what Damien Flagwick was saying not in so many words. 😁

Quick fact check- 5 premierships in the past 60 years.

Your argument lacks any kind of logic or validity. For example, how do you explain the number of wooden spoons Richmond "won" in the same timeframe?

So it’s “right” for the media to hound an individual about matters in their private life if their profile is big enough? Interesting take, but you said it.

If he’s in a position of leadership and responsibility and where he has a role in developing a whole squad of young men for whom he is a central leadership figure, in what way is he NOT going to be scrutinised more?

Your argument lacks any kind of logic or validity. For example, how do you explain the number of wooden spoons Richmond "won" in the same timeframe?

Thank you for the correction. I should have said 4 in the last 59 years.

What argument have I made that lacks any sort of logic or validity because Richmond have finished on the bottom of the ladder a few times in my lifetime?

If he’s in a position of leadership and responsibility and where he has a role in developing a whole squad of young men for whom he is a central leadership figure, in what way is he NOT going to be scrutinised more?
Everyone is subject to scrutiny, and as the coach DH should be subject to scrutiny, but only on football matters, or whatever else might be in the public domain. His private life though… give it a rest.

He’s just one of many leadership figures at the RFC, and just one of even more role models in the lives of the younger players - think parents, siblings, teachers, coaches through the teen years, senior players, mates, girlfriends… Some of them would have gone through divorce too I bet. Hell, some players at RFC over the years might have had more life experience than DH. Marlion Pickett has been to jail, are the younger players not allowed to fraternise with him?

So it’s “right” for the media to hound an individual about matters in their private life if their profile is big enough? Interesting take, but you said it.
Cheating on and leaving your wife for a younger woman is a bit of a spin on “private life” and does deserve criticism. I am just pointing out to you higher profile individuals will cop more attention for their poor behavior than lower profile individuals. This is not overly complicated? You seem to be struggling to grasp a basic of media

Everyone is subject to scrutiny, and as the coach DH should be subject to scrutiny, but only on football matters, or whatever else might be in the public domain. His private life though… give it a rest.

He’s just one of many leadership figures at the RFC, and just one of even more role models in the lives of the younger players - think parents, siblings, teachers, coaches through the teen years, senior players, mates, girlfriends… Some of them would have gone through divorce too I bet. Hell, some players at RFC over the years might have had more life experience than DH. Marlion Pickett has been to jail, are the younger players not allowed to fraternise with him?
I don’t classify a man who cheats on his wife a role model for young men. You and I obviously have different ideas of behaviors that constitute a role model.

Interesting little snip from an analysis someone did of win/loss ration since the AFL came into existence and a national competition. Yep, smells like success in the air with Richmond sitting 12th over a 30 year period for win loss ratio from 1990-2020. 137F9463-E74E-4D39-9631-E4568A34E7D6.jpeg A machine of breeding success over a 30 year span right here.

Yeah it will be interesting. In the past successful coaches struggle to change things up and adapt once they get worked out or the comp catches up. Dimma seems to be a fairly progressive guy and is big on the self help stuff but he is also a stubborn bugger. Hopefully he has the courage to shake things up like Chris Scott did last year rather than just sticking with what he knows. Identifying and acquiring Taranto and Hopper are a huge first step.

Either way things will be somewhat different without Kingsley who has been our midfield/stoppage coach for the last few years. Not sure who is taking over that position. Rutten back should also help defensivley too.
The brilliant coaches find a way to adapt and thrive again. The reality is thought it can take a long time and fans and management seem to lack the patience to persevere at times with this. When you win a flag.. the reality is it’s highly unlikely your going to win another one in the next 3-5 years post era… 10+ years is more realistic to rebuild.

It took Scott 10 years to get it again, it took malthouse from 2001-02 of having a grand final competing team till 2010 to complete another rebuild that was more successful in obtaining a flag.

Rebuilds just need to be realistic as well. Clarkson was impatiently thrown out and the hawks should have let him go at it another 3-5 years minimum after so much success, and hardwick deserves the same at least. He is a great coach.

Cheating on and leaving your wife for a younger woman is a bit of a spin on “private life” and does deserve criticism. I am just pointing out to you higher profile individuals will cop more attention for their poor behavior than lower profile individuals. This is not overly complicated? You seem to be struggling to grasp a basic of media

I don’t classify a man who cheats on his wife a role model for young men. You and I obviously have different ideas of behaviors that constitute a role model.

Of course DH's relationships outside of the football club are his private life. I do get media. What I object to the intrusion that happens into all these players and coaches private lives. GAJ son was paraded around on GF day... does that make the GAJ private family struggles public property because GHAJ has a high profile? No, of course not.

You're fine not to classify DH as a role model. Set your own standards. Hope you were equally up in arms about GAS often being seen in the Geelong rooms. That's a drug user complicit in the death of a 20 year old woman hanging around all those young players, oh dear.

What about Matthew Stokes, drug dealer?

Mind you, I'm not sure you believe anything you write. You've gone from it being about the size of their profile...
It’s about right given one is a huge profile coach the other is just an average good player. Of cause the coach is going to get more attention
...to it seemingly now being about them being "good" role models.

This thread !
The Kid Mero Wow GIF by Desus & Mero

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course DH's relationships outside of the football club are his private life. I do get media. What I object to the intrusion that happens into all these players and coaches private lives. GAJ son was paraded around on GF day... does that make the GAJ private family struggles public property because GHAJ has a high profile? No, of course not.

You're fine not to classify DH as a role model. Set your own standards. Hope you were equally up in arms about GAS often being seen in the Geelong rooms. That's a drug user complicit in the death of a 20 year old woman hanging around all those young players, oh dear.

What about Matthew Stokes, drug dealer?

Mind you, I'm not sure you believe anything you write. You've gone from it being about the size of their profile...

...to it seemingly now being about them being "good" role models.
You have gone on quite the rant here and a bit riled up. Hardwick is obviously a sacred topic for some at Richmond.

When you have a marriage split all in town know about it from the kid down the street to the cashier down at the mall, and anyone who might have missed it your ex wife is sure to let ‘‘em know. So hence my saying it’s far from private that you have a divorce and you cheated. Some things everyone just knows about others and that’s life whether you like it or not and people will rightfully judge.

And let’s not get all wound up over privacy, since when has privacy existed in the AFL?? Everyone in the AFL understands what they signed up for when they joined the industry, that they are held to an ethical community standard and sanctioned accordingly or investigated. If someone was to make a racist comment over a dinner or a text message about a woman’s appearance they get fired.. is that not someone’s personal life?? So let’s just get realistic for a moment when it comes to privacy and the AFL, it doesn’t exist.

I think hardwick is a fantastic coach, but he has made very disgraceful decisions such as cheating on his wife. Whatever way you want to try to spin it, he is not the perfect role model and is quite flawed.

Great coach? Yes. Role model? No.

You have gone on quite the rant here and a bit riled up. Hardwick is obviously a sacred topic for some at Richmond.

When you have a marriage split all in town know about it from the kid down the street to the cashier down at the mall, and anyone who might have missed it your ex wife is sure to let ‘‘em know. So hence my saying it’s far from private that you have a divorce and you cheated. Some things everyone just knows about others and that’s life whether you like it or not and people will rightfully judge.

And let’s not get all wound up over privacy, since when has privacy existed in the AFL?? Everyone in the AFL understands what they signed up for when they joined the industry, that they are held to an ethical community standard and sanctioned accordingly or investigated. If someone was to make a racist comment over a dinner or a text message about a woman’s appearance they get fired.. is that not someone’s personal life?? So let’s just get realistic for a moment when it comes to privacy and the AFL, it doesn’t exist.

I think hardwick is a fantastic coach, but he has made very disgraceful decisions such as cheating on his wife. Whatever way you want to try to spin it, he is not the perfect role model and is quite flawed.

You know f all about their relationship before they broke up. Nearly 50% of marriages break up in Australia. Get off your moral high horse, you might fall off yourself one day... 'very disgraceful decisions', 'quite flawed', can you hear yourself.

In all Hardwick's years as a coach he has been lauded by his players, they love him and still do. He has been a great role model in those years, we are talking footy after all not Days of Our Lives.

You know f all about their relationship before they broke up. Nearly 50% of marriages break up in Australia. Get off your moral high horse, you might fall off yourself one day...

I wouldn’t call it depraved, but it was pretty low by Gary. By all reports even some at GFC thought so too.
Double standards? Didn't see you call your Tiger mate out for hypocrisy when he he spoke about Gary Rohan "dumping his wife (and mother of his deceased baby) for the club physio."

Tell us then under what precise list of circumstances it is ok by you for someone to leave their marriage. Or do you believe nobody has the right to leave their marriage?

And do you believe you speak for the broader community on this?

You know f all about their relationship before they broke up. Nearly 50% of marriages break up in Australia. Get off your moral high horse, you might fall off yourself one day... 'very disgraceful decisions', 'quite flawed', can you hear yourself.

In all Hardwick's years as a coach he has been lauded by his players, they love him and still do. He has been a great role model in those years, we are talking footy after all not Days of Our Lives.
You gave a moral speech how Gary Rohan cheating on his wife was “low” yet your saying it is fine for hardwick to cheat on his wife. Talk about double standards!!! I have said in my previous posts both are a s**t thing, you seem delusional and trying to call one a saint and the other low.

This is a big embarrassment what your posting up.

Last edited:
Tell us then under what precise list of circumstances it is ok by you for someone to leave their marriage. Or do you believe nobody has the right to leave their marriage?

And do you believe you speak for the broader community on this?
I don’t have any. Just don’t cheat on your spouse. If your unhappy get a divorce then go off and do what you want.

Maybe life works differently down at punt road with everyone running around fine and dandy with everyone sneaking around behind their partners back, each to their own cultures. I am learning a lot about the club culture of Richmond from their fans. Mighty club culture of banging women behind your wife’s back being supporter here by fans.

You don’t see any geelong fans defending Rohan, but Richmond fans seem to defend hardwick. Geelong culture is just much better with these topics

You gave a moral speech how Gary Rohan cheating on his wife was “low” yet your saying it is fine for hardwick to cheat on his wife. Talk about double standards!!! I have said in my previous posts both are a s**t thing, you seem delusional and trying to call one a saint and the other low.

Not me, I did not mention nor fortunate enough not to have read those posts, but yes same thing, nobody's business but those families involved.

Not as embarrassing as melting about something he didn’t write 🤣

No rant, because I'm quite clear and comfortable with my position in these matters, which is I'd much rather it not be reported on. Of course, if it is reported people will make judgments, which is their right to do so. I may agree with their judgment or I may not, but again, I don't think it's any of our business. And of course we can discuss our various thoughts on these private matters, but none of us on this forum (for example) really no what precedes a marriage break-up, or the grief that a dead child brings to "that" particular person.

But you seem to think privacy is not a concern so it's fair to say you'd have no issues with the media stalking the Rohans or the Hardwicks of the AFL world? And anyone else caught up in it (Amie, Danielle) is just collateral damage? Are you looking forward to some intrusive picture of the Abletts when Levi next takes ill? Maybe some "photojournalist" can pop down to Moggs Creek and take a few photos of Danger leaving his house, cool with that?
Double standards? Didn't see you call your Tiger mate out for hypocrisy when he he spoke about Gary Rohan "dumping his wife (and mother of his deceased baby) for the club physio."
And Sstew is back, again. Context matters. Gary Rohan was brought up in this context because one of your supporters brought up a physio having an affair with DH, when it was a physio having an affair with GR. There was no judgement made, just a statement of facts.

I did follow it up with this comment though...

I wouldn’t call it depraved, but it was pretty low by Gary. By all reports even some at GFC thought so too.
...but I was clearly being facetious. Are you able to see that, or do I have to explain it to you? It was in response to you suggesting I was...
Stooping to depths of depravity
...unless you were actually talking about Gary Rohan cheating on his grieving wife, the mother of their deceased child and two children aged 3 and 1 (that's a toddler and a baby).

I don’t have any. Just don’t cheat on your spouse. If your unhappy get a divorce then go off and do what you want.

Maybe life works differently down at punt road with everyone running around fine and dandy with everyone sneaking around behind their partners back, each to their own cultures. I am learning a lot about the club culture of Richmond from their fans. Mighty club culture of banging women behind your wife’s back being supporter here by fans.

You don’t see any geelong fans defending Rohan, but Richmond fans seem to defend hardwick. Geelong culture is just much better with these topics

For many married/partnered people, meeting a new partner is what precipitates their separation from the original partner. I used to express views about this in the way you are now. In my case a lifetime of experience has taught me it is both pointless and simplistic to moralise over it as if there is a definitive line of what is right and wrong in relationships. Having been through an involuntary contested divorce I have come to realise married people are free to take their stake and go at any time for any reason so long as they leave the partner’s stake behind. So if you are married and you think your partner owes you more than that, think again. They do not.

Besides, being left by a partner can be one of the most liberating things that can ever happen to a person. In my case I went from living in a house in a street with a job and a mortgage to a lifetime of freedom and travel and discovery. One day I went with a female friend to a park somewhere and we played frisbee and laughed our heads off and then went blackberry picking. My arms got cut to shreds but I remember thinking this beats the f*ck out of living with one woman forever in a house in a street with a job and a mortgage and some campaigner’s kid’s christening to go to every other Sunday and all the rest of it. In many cases it is more wrong to stay in a marriage than to end it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back