Autopsy The Stats Don’t Lie: VicBIAS By The Numbers - An Empirical Analysis

Do you agree there is inherent umpiring bias toward Vic based teams?

• I barrack for a Vic based team: Yes, always has been, always will be. Suck it up.

• I barrack for a Vic based team: Yes. It’s a disgrace. I demand a fairer comp.

• I barrack for a Vic based team: No. It’s a myth. Stats are the work of the devil.

• I barrack for a non-Vic based team: Lol. Tell me something I don’t know.

• I barrack for a non-Vic team: I like to cry about anything to do with the AFL because they are just

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol what the actual *? What are you actually proposing? We cut half the league?

And ******* accusing port of leeching, lol you have no idea.

This place is worse off for having to listen to you. If only one person here is infected by this nonsensical s**t you’re sprouting then the world is worse off for you existing.

Quick question.

We offer a swap of places. Pies get the extra funding and port gets pies draw.

Would you take it? Would Collingwood take that?
For a start we don't need the extra funding and the other point is you would need to move to Vic to get Collingwoods draw.

So you don't like making the league fair for all then, you just want some things that you think should be fair, you know those that don't affect Port in a bad way.

Thanks mate, we have cleared some things up now.

Good luck in the finals, hope you get a fair and just game.

For a start we don't need the extra funding and the other point is you would need to move to Vic to get Collingwoods draw.

So you don't like making the league fair for all then, you just want some things that you think should be fair, you know those that don't affect Port in a bad way.

Thanks mate, we have cleared some things up now.

Good luck in the finals, hope you get a fair and just game.

Lol

You avoid the question cause obviously you and Collingwood wouldn’t trade places, cause your draw is the real leg up.

“yOu dONt LIkE mAKiNG ThE lEAuGe fAIr fOr fOR aLL tHeN”

What the actual *. You keep saying this. You have presented zero explanation for what you are even saying much less anything to back it up.

you have managed to take your dumb initial post, and in every reply and defense of it come across not just as illinformed but completely willing to ignore reality.

Lol

You avoid the question cause obviously you and Collingwood wouldn’t trade places, cause your draw is the real leg up.

What the actual *. You keep saying this. You have presented zero explanation for what you are even saying much less anything to back it up.

you have managed to take your dumb initial post, and in every reply and defense of it come across not just as illinformed but completely willing to ignore reality.
You know mate, if you could just read between the lines you would have worked out what I was doing.

There is a few of you who like to bring up the unfairness in this league and blame it on the Vics and certain clubs, but as soon as someone says anything about your club you start crying.

I couldn't care less if you take our draw, and we will take your debt too if you like, it probably won't make that much difference, the debt will get paid and you will just go back into debt again.

You know mate, if you could just read between the lines you would have worked out what I was doing.

There is a few of you who like to bring up the unfairness in this league and blame it on the Vics and certain clubs, but as soon as someone says anything about your club you start crying.

I couldn't care less if you take our draw, and we will take your debt too if you like, it probably won't make that much difference, the debt will get paid and you will just go back into debt again.

What kind of response is that? You offer nothing.

It would be one thing to just be plain wrong about something, but you can’t even elaborate or explain yourself, and when pressed say “read between the lines”

Lol.

And then the other s**t taking a swipe at port. Ffs you just can’t follow basic ******* logic.

You know what, society has failed you. We should do better.

Lol

He is a genuine classic. He keeps rolling out this post I made whenever I quote him. I stated that non Vic teams have been more successful than MANY Vic teams. My reference was regarding off field viability and AFL support, and also overall success, but not success when it comes to playing in GF against MCG tenants.

He literally cannot define himself in any other way than to argue down a rabbit hole of inconsequential nonsense. Avoiding the question is what he is all about, along with coming up with general and pointless statements that have no merit.

Because Adelaide have a strong financial position thanks to being the first afl team established in Sa?

It’s not that complicated.
Old mate Lounge Lizard also doesn’t realise that the non Vic teams came into the VFL and provided much needed support in order to remain viable. We’ve had many instances of clubs going to near financial ruin. South Melbourne were shipped to Sydney, Footscray and Fitzroy almost merged, Fitzroy merged with Brisbane and were shipped up to QLD, Melbourne and Hawthorn were close, the WB have been in dire financial straits as have North Melbourne. St Kilda have had issues as well.

The parochial VFL arrogance denigrating Port because they are mid table on AFL funding is unbelievable.

Collingwood was sponsored for years by GMH and reason was due to the amount of times they are on free to air TV. So we have to go cap in hand to Renault and then to anyone in China that will give us some money.
The reason why some clubs don't have great finances has nothing to do with any mis-management but is entirely due to trying to financially compete with the larger clubs that have advantages in being able to generate more income.

Lets have a look at Collingwood 2023.

They get more games at the MCG than Port get to play at Adelaide Oval.

Port get on a plane 10 times for the other games Collingwood 6.

The other games Collingwood play, they sleep in their bed and drive to the end of Collins street, it's a fair advantage considering the GF is played on the G.
Considering everyone travelled in gather round you can’t claim that. So they’ve played 17 games in Melbourne. The last time they travelled was almost 2 months ago.

Unbelievable. And they can’t see the bullshit favouritism. The media has one hand on the cup as well, giving us the whole Daicos brothers narrative. What’s the bet Peter Daicos presents the premiership cup if Collingwood win?

What kind of response is that? You offer nothing.

It would be one thing to just be plain wrong about something, but you can’t even elaborate or explain yourself, and when pressed say “read between the lines”

Lol.

And then the other s*t taking a swipe at port. Ffs you just can’t follow basic ****** logic.

You know what, society has failed you. We should do better.
Yeah you're right mate, no-one should ever hang it on Port.

The Vics are just pricks, take everything and give nothing back.

Probably be a better league if they just kicked us all out and left you lot on your own.

Considering everyone travelled in gather round you can’t claim that. So they’ve played 17 games in Melbourne. The last time they travelled was almost 2 months ago.

Unbelievable. And they can’t see the bullshit favouritism. The media has one hand on the cup as well, giving us the whole Daicos brothers narrative. What’s the bet Peter Daicos presents the premiership cup if Collingwood win?
The other thing to look at is where the away games are:

Collingwood never go to Tasmania, Darwin, Cairns, Townsville, Ballarat or Geelong.

Amazingly from 2018-22 while the Crows were rebuilding Collingwood played them in Adelaide every year winning every game. Until this year, the last time Collingwood played the Port in Adelaide, The Crows were minor premier. Funny that!

I am not sure what the knock on Port Adelaide is when they’re mid table for funding. There’s literally a few million dollars between Port Adelaide and Brisbane (more funding) and then Carlton (less funding).

Where exactly do you draw the line? The lowest four funded clubs are Hawthorn, Richmond, Collingwood, WC. Do we just keep them in the competition and have a Mickey Mouse league where we say the two top sides at the end of the home and away play in a GF?

Yeah you're right mate, no-one should ever hang it on Port.

The Vics are just pricks, take everything and give nothing back.

Probably be a better league if they just kicked us all out and left you lot on your own.
Your argument is just moronic. Here we go, off to get your little quote to tell everyone what i said. Go on, whip it out.

Funding is basically even, there’s a few million in gap between Port / Sydney and then Fremantle / Carlton. According to you we’d just totally scrap the top 8 funded clubs, including expansion clubs in GWS and GC. Your logic further falls away, clubs that are funded have been invested in so the AFL loses all their money they’ve sunk into them. If you’re going to sink Port then you’re also sinking Sydney, GWS, GC; all states that the AFL is attempting to establish a market within.

The reason I am saying this is because of equality, I.e you kill Port you have to also kill the 7 clubs above them. Oh look, Melbourne is there. Well, how’d you think the AFL would go burying them when they virtually own the MCC?

Not only is your logic flawed, it’s typical parochial VFL flawed.

Collingwood never go to Tasmania, Darwin, Cairns, Townsville, Ballarat or Geelong.

Amazingly from 2018-22 while the Crows were rebuilding Collingwood played them in Adelaide every year winning every game. Until this year, the last time Collingwood played the Port in Adelaide, The Crows were minor premier. Funny that!
They then most likely get three finals at the MCG. Port or Brisbane, however, get ‘advantages’ because they play ‘home games’ and then home finals if they’re top 2-4.

For context, Brisbane played 12 home games (no travel), and Port played 13 home games (no travel). Collingwood have had 17 games where there’s been no travel involved. Then let’s add on the clean run to a GF. They’ll play (minimum) two games at the G before the GF.

Unbelievable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You’d think that because Geelong is so successful that you’d be able to fixture a decent team down there. Half a chance? None.

I’m fairly certain we charge more for our memberships. A luxury that is directly related to West Coast being so strong. Because you almost can’t get a seat to a west coast game we get quite a lot of extra memberships just so people can go to the footy. There are so many members that are west coast supporters that will barrack for the dockers until the derby and then they swap.

Additionally because of the west coast factor (and a new stadium for that matter) the prices of actual membership tickets are more than what ports are. This would put a dent (obviously it would not completely cover the difference) in the difference in terms of finances.
I remember that 2002-07 period. Eagles made finals every year while dockers were finals contenders.

Eagles games were the hottest ticket in WA. It was that popular, there were waiting list for 2-4 years because of the 43,000 seat capacity. It came to the point some of them ran out of paitence and went to dockers memberships instead.

Yeah, you think you deserve more than others?
Do you think that's fair?

If you want everything to be fair, well let's go the whole hog.

Adelaide come from the same state you do and they don't get the payouts you get, why should they lose money to keep you afloat?

You do realise Port is the only suburban football club outside of Victoria don’t you, every other team is somewhat of a franchise created.

We do well considering our supporter base started out as those who just supported Port in the SANFL.

The Crows on the other hand has a supporter base made up of all the other teams in the SANFL, the anti-Port, so naturally they have a larger base = more money.

The Oval deal both clubs get is not favourable either, that’s another story.

You do realise Port is the only suburban football club outside of Victoria don’t you, every other team is somewhat of a franchise created.

We do well considering our supporter base started out as those who just supported Port in the SANFL.

The Crows on the other hand has a supporter base made up of all the other teams in the SANFL, the anti-Port, so naturally they have a larger base = more money.

The Oval deal both clubs get is not favourable either, that’s another story.
And what are all the Melbourne clubs?
There are a few more there to compete with.

It's ok to say lets get rid of North, lets get rid of St.Kilda?
But don't ever say let's get rid of Port, that will upset them.

Now think about when you ask for fairness because you think the umpires are against you or Collingwood get to play in the ANZAC day game, well fairness can come in all different ways.

Sorry if I have upset a few, but if you can't take it don't dish it out.

And what are all the Melbourne clubs?
There are a few more there to compete with.

It's ok to say lets get rid of North, lets get rid of St.Kilda?
But don't ever say let's get rid of Port, that will upset them.

Now think about when you ask for fairness because you think the umpires are against you or Collingwood get to play in the ANZAC day game, well fairness can come in all different ways.

Sorry if I have upset a few, but if you can't take it don't dish it out.

I was explaining a Crows v Port comment, not sure what your going on about.

And I'm explaining other clubs are in the same boat as Port, it's not all about Port you know.
It’s also been explained to you that if you get rid of Port Adelaide then you automatically scrap 7 clubs above them inclusive of GWS and GC. Do you think that’s going to happen? You’re talking about equality and fairness, so you can sink Port and not the two newest expansion clubs.

You can also make an argument for scrapping clubs with less funding in the next tier, I.e Fremantle and Carlton. Where does it stop? There are four clubs with minimal funding, in your warped logic you’d only have those four playing a little round Robin mini league competition.

What you also don’t realise is that the AFL has one big profit and loss statement, the investment in clubs is offset by revenue from broadcasting, merchandise, etc. It simply doesn’t make sense to do what you’re saying.

Let’s see if you can respond without dropping in your little quote where you think you’ve got a one up on me.

Collingwood played in Geelong 8 times in the 1980s. 3 times in the 1990s and none since. Can ignore the other places except for Tassie when they come into the comp.

For sure the number of games at GMHBA will increase to 10.. this will mean either Easter Monday will alternate between GMHBA and the MCG or Collingwood will have to play in Geelong occasionally.

But no club should get out of having to travel to Geelong. 25 years is crazy.

Collingwood played in Geelong 8 times in the 1980s. 3 times in the 1990s and none since. Can ignore the other places except for Tassie when they come into the comp.

For sure the number of games at GMHBA will increase to 10.. this will mean either Easter Monday will alternate between GMHBA and the MCG or Collingwood will have to play in Geelong occasionally.

But no club should get out of having to travel to Geelong. 25 years is crazy.
When did you last play there?

Then maybe Port need to up their memberships, I don't see why a few teams need to compensate them and the rest of the comp then has to put up with the unfair fixture so the AFL make more money to pay.
Fair enough, but Port are hardly the worst culprits and it’s not what is up for discussion here anyway. Start a new thread maybe?

Last edited:
Old mate Lounge Lizard also doesn’t realise that the non Vic teams came into the VFL and provided much needed support in order to remain viable. We’ve had many instances of clubs going to near financial ruin. South Melbourne were shipped to Sydney, Footscray and Fitzroy almost merged, Fitzroy merged with Brisbane and were shipped up to QLD, Melbourne and Hawthorn were close, the WB have been in dire financial straits as have North Melbourne. St Kilda have had issues as well.

The parochial VFL arrogance denigrating Port because they are mid table on AFL funding is unbelievable.
What he also doesn't realise the debt that Port has, is a loan they have taken from the AFL to buy their license from the SANFL. The same license fee that the SANFL had to pay the AFL in 1997.

Other than a few bad years Port have generally been fairly profitable.

Back