Sep 6, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
NBA, Woodville,
It was obvious to me 3 weeks ago that as soon as it hit our shores you:

- close all borders
- send everyone on enforced leave for 3 weeks but MUST stay home and policed by police with jail as breaches
- all groceries to be bought on line and delivered left at door step. Involve military to assist delivery if needed
- identify the sick and isolate

Had we done that the virus wouldn’t be here at all now. We had a once only opportunity and missed it. Indeed as we now approach the upswing in curve where thousands not hundreds will be infected SComo still isn’t locking down entirely. Gutless. We are on the cusp of point of no return and still he doesn’t have the balls to do what’s required to save 400,000 people’s lives. Yes that’s the likely number IMO. Flawed judgement. Reactive rather than proactive measures. Gutless.

I have 3 teen kids and am divorced.- ex from hell constantly trying to prevent kids seeing me. 1 lives with me 2 with her. 2 of the kids are flitting between houses atm. 19 yo son works in pizza delivery (high risk of infection) was doing uni but has deferred. I Live with my 92 yo mum and I work my accountancy business from home. See no one except groceries. A recipe for disaster. I have to tell those 2 to stay one or other and I’m struggling to have that talk because I’ve spent 10 years trying to have a healthy relationship with them when my ex was working against that at every point, lies manipulation, alienation, emotional blackmail etc. Still if I don’t then my mother (15% risk) and me (4% risk) are in harms way. I don’t care about me but I can’t risk my mum like that. Unfair. Son is here overnight because mum arguing with him all the time. So I must talk to him in morning get him to choose and give up his work preferably. Only earns $200 per week so sensible to go on unemployment instead or perhaps tutor my twin 16 yo girls (year 11). He is extremely smart atar of 94.5 so could easily do that I think. Then could stay home and we all be safe.
That’s a tough situation, hope everything goes ok. We have broad shoulders so whenever you feel the need you can vent on here.

I did wonder if instead of all the money throwing around the government could have literally paid everyone for 2-3 weeks to not move unless a health workerand frozen bills etc

but I doubt we have the resources

like I won’t do it anyway but if I go for a picnic with 29 friends today what are they going to do, track me down and arrest me!

There is no such thing as a full lockdown as things flow on

ok open supermarket well you need staff you need suppliers suppliers need staff

Need police open
Need hospital fire then the work around those

need internet going so workers there

plumbing etc if you tap suddenly exploded

The government won’t ever just say it, that a lot of people will die no matter what

Apr 21, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
One thing I am worried about is the governments complete disregard for mental health right now.

If they expect people to go 6 months without seeing family or friends then we are going to have a suicide epidemic.

I mean, everyone is going nuts at ScoMo for not just doing immediate lockdown but he very clearly alluded to that last night as to why they're continuing to still take iterative steps rather than just shutting the whole country down indefinitely. You don't want the cure to be worse than the disease. The medical advice they're getting says that if everyone actually just followed the rules currently in place, things will be okay. Of course the problem becomes when there's so, so many stupid people who can't follow what are pretty basic steps - stay at home wherever possible and only go out for essentials.

I mean, everyone is going nuts at ScoMo for not just doing immediate lockdown but he very clearly alluded to that last night as to why they're continuing to still take iterative steps rather than just shutting the whole country down indefinitely. You don't want the cure to be worse than the disease. The medical advice they're getting says that if everyone actually just followed the rules currently in place, things will be okay. Of course the problem becomes when there's so, so many stupid people who can't follow what are pretty basic steps - stay at home wherever possible and only go out for essentials.

I just think we need to be advertising mental health hotlines currently just to prepare for what is going to happen. Or at least addressed properly in the media.

One thing I am worried about is the governments complete disregard for mental health right now.

If they expect people to go 6 months without seeing family or friends then we are going to have a suicide epidemic.

And a crime wave soon

went to coles just now and there was stuff, no pasta and tp, but most other things.
Same, the panic seems to be slowing where I am, I wonder if that will last?

Only a loss on paper until they sell. Would be plenty who can ride this through and instead would be buying more stock
There are also plenty who can’t. This challenge is really affecting everyone. It isn’t discriminating.

With everyone at home, what support are the energy companies providing people, no doubt energy usage will be on the increase.

God bless the coal industry, true champions of the people.

*sheds a single tear*

Jul 9, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
You don't want the cure to be worse than the disease.

Please explain to me what that even means...how that is possible?
We have a deadly virus speading exponentially around the planet, with little more than faith in the medical fraternity that a cure is developed at some stage and in the meantime some are now considering, in true Trumpist style, that steps taken to prevent rather than cure may be worse than the virus itself... f***** spare me!
Life isn’t a result of economies... an economy is built by human life. Does anybody know the death rate of a collapsed economy? Would the impact of Spanish flu been thwarted with a little more economic planning or did the world get over it and move on? No doubt the greedy and selfish got back to the business of hoarding wealth at the expense of the masses pretty quickly.
I’m glad I am not in the situation to be making these calls and doubt Albo would have done any better than Scomo but with the benefit of hindsight, it is a pretty poor reflection of our society that so many non-essential activities have been allowed to continue. I get it is important to look after the morale of the nation but really... allowing professional sport to continue hardly sets a standard strong enough to fight this pandemic.
Damage at the polls brought about the need to mobilise the army to pick up the pieces (read win back the confidence) after the bushfires yet no assurances to the frightened community that the the national resource that is the armed forces, will be be mobilising to further limit the need for civilian interactions... transport in particular, in area that needs to be better managed. I work in food logistics and, while our business is slow it is necessary, each day my colleagues and I, and our families, face increasing risk.

Meanwhile arguably the most powerful man in the world has gone from “like a miracle it’ll all disappear” to “I knew it was serious all along” to now spruiking that the cure could possibly be worse than the disease, as the US rockets up the leaderboard with eyes firmly set on the gold medal position for devastation. The NBA players one of the bright lights in a world shrouded in stupid.
So we edge toward 20000 dead... nearly 7000 families in Italy torn apart by this thing... at what point do we start getting really serious? Is it 50,000? 100,000? Maybe a million ppl dead?
It sickens me to hear some crying about the Dow... oh if construction goes down we’re all f*****... no... some ppl will just have to accept there is no cream to skim for the time being.
I’d love for it all to be gone and get back to normality but it will remain like this for much longer whilst ppl continue to use the economic implications as their motivation.

Please explain to me what that even means...how that is possible?
We have a deadly virus speading exponentially around the planet, with little more than faith in the medical fraternity that a cure is developed at some stage and in the meantime some are now considering, in true Trumpist style, that steps taken to prevent rather than cure may be worse than the virus itself... f***** spare me!
Life isn’t a result of economies... an economy is built by human life. Does anybody know the death rate of a collapsed economy? Would the impact of Spanish flu been thwarted with a little more economic planning or did the world get over it and move on? No doubt the greedy and selfish got back to the business of hoarding wealth at the expense of the masses pretty quickly.
I’m glad I am not in the situation to be making these calls and doubt Albo would have done any better than Scomo but with the benefit of hindsight, it is a pretty poor reflection of our society that so many non-essential activities have been allowed to continue. I get it is important to look after the morale of the nation but really... allowing professional sport to continue hardly sets a standard strong enough to fight this pandemic.
Damage at the polls brought about the need to mobilise the army to pick up the pieces (read win back the confidence) after the bushfires yet no assurances to the frightened community that the the national resource that is the armed forces, will be be mobilising to further limit the need for civilian interactions... transport in particular, in area that needs to be better managed. I work in food logistics and, while our business is slow it is necessary, each day my colleagues and I, and our families, face increasing risk.

Meanwhile arguably the most powerful man in the world has gone from “like a miracle it’ll all disappear” to “I knew it was serious all along” to now spruiking that the cure could possibly be worse than the disease, as the US rockets up the leaderboard with eyes firmly set on the gold medal position for devastation. The NBA players one of the bright lights in a world shrouded in stupid.
So we edge toward 20000 dead... nearly 7000 families in Italy torn apart by this thing... at what point do we start getting really serious? Is it 50,000? 100,000? Maybe a million ppl dead?
It sickens me to hear some crying about the Dow... oh if construction goes down we’re all f*****... no... some ppl will just have to accept there is no cream to skim for the time being.
I’d love for it all to be gone and get back to normality but it will remain like this for much longer whilst ppl continue to use the economic implications as their motivation.

All those rich lined up at Centrelink worried about their cream from the top

Kapanis

Cancelled
Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017
Jul 26, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Well, everything besides those not allowed are open on the Sunnycoast, in our block alone theres bedshops, light shops, surf shops, carpet shops, pet shops, art shops, music shops all open. Non essential businesses closed my arse.

Back