Mega Thread >>COVID-19 DISCUSSION THREAD<<

Remove this Banner Ad

Once a decision was made to halt in the interests of player welfare and stopping community spread it was pretty obvious to me that the season is over until such time that a vaccine is available and infection numbers cease. The best timeline for that is January IMO. Season done and next season impaired. The draft will still likely proceed but will be on basis of pre existing form not the under 18 championship. Draft positions will likely be as they were in 2019 ie pick 5. So I think we will draft a top 5, Campbell and Gulden.

If the AFL are smart, they’ll raise the draft age to 19. And remove the list change rules for this year.

Once a decision was made to halt in the interests of player welfare and stopping community spread it was pretty obvious to me that the season is over until such time that a vaccine is available and infection numbers cease. The best timeline for that is January IMO. Season done and next season impaired. The draft will still likely proceed but will be on basis of pre existing form not the under 18 championship. Draft positions will likely be as they were in 2019 ie pick 5. So I think we will draft a top 5, Campbell and Gulden.

Hope you are right on all fronts, meaning:

- There will be no season. AFL season 2021 needs to be the priority, not this mangled carcass of a season. Anything that pushes into November/December of this year will have ramifications on next year. No point having two f’d up seasons.
- The draft this year is based off last year’s ladder. It is the only fair way. Twomey proposed a lottery, but that is a horrible idea.
- The reduction in list sizes might mean our usual draft hauls of 3-4 kids may change. Perhaps Campbell & Gulden alone might suffice, though I’d much rather us cut some of the dead weight on our list to accommodate a top five pick if the draft went that way.

Hope you are right on all fronts, meaning:

- There will be no season. AFL season 2021 needs to be the priority, not this mangled carcass of a season. Anything that pushes into November/December of this year will have ramifications on next year. No point having two f’d up seasons.
- The draft this year is based off last year’s ladder. It is the only fair way. Twomey proposed a lottery, but that is a horrible idea.
- The reduction in list sizes might mean our usual draft hauls of 3-4 kids may change. Perhaps Campbell & Gulden alone might suffice, though I’d much rather us cut some of the dead weight on our list to accommodate a top five pick if the draft went that way.

0 footy in 2020 is going to ruin 2021 more financially

0 footy in 2020 is going to ruin 2021 more financially

So what? AFL will just have to rebuild like the rest of us.

Leaving aside the immediate medical emergency, this crisis offers a real opportunity for everyone to reset a bit and to improve in every aspect of life. Socially, economically, domestically.

We’re all going to have massive household debts, high taxes, high government debts, and we’re all going to have to dial things back a bit to get through it.

Would that be fair to then have 2021 draft have two age groups in the one year.

I’m not saying that.

I’m saying raise the draft age from this year and ongoing to 19. Clubs reshape lists this year based on available talent. Keep who you might have otherwise delisted, say a Fox or Clarke. Draft only to replace retirees.

Next year Gulden and Campbell become available to be drafted.

So what? AFL will just have to rebuild like the rest of us.

Leaving aside the immediate medical emergency, this crisis offers a real opportunity for everyone to reset a bit and to improve in every aspect of life. Socially, economically, domestically.

We’re all going to have massive household debts, high taxes, high government debts, and we’re all going to have to dial things back a bit to get through it.

why would anyone want any of that if given the choice,

why would anyone want any of that if given the choice,

Who said there was a choice. The only choice is how we play the cards we’ve been dealt.

There’s another option. ALL players and staff from all clubs move to empty hotels in Melbourne. Don’t see their families for 4-5 months. Play the season in empty suburban stadiums just to entertain those of us who can’t think of anything to do but watch footy.

Or we, the consumers might want to think of more innovative ways to pass this extended downtime.

For those of you who miss Sweet Caroline...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Peter Ryan in The Age saying academies will be the biggest target for AFL cuts.

The Swans academy is self-funded, if I recall, because we set it up when no one was interested. But I'm guessing most of the others are AFl-funded because they were set up as a sop to the hard-done by Vic clubs and they haven't bothered finding sponsors.

So we face going back to the situation of either:
- the Swans having an academy and more wailing and gnashing of teeth
- or no academy and no pathways

I’m not saying that.

I’m saying raise the draft age from this year and ongoing to 19. Clubs reshape lists this year based on available talent. Keep who you might have otherwise delisted, say a Fox or Clarke. Draft only to replace retirees.

Next year Gulden and Campbell become available to be drafted.

There’s no need to change the draft. Let’s be real there’s probably 4-5 that are lucky to be on a list regardless of what club you are talking about. Why would we want to keep a Clarke or Fox?

There’s no need to change the draft. Let’s be real there’s probably 4-5 that are lucky to be on a list regardless of what club you are talking about. Why would we want to keep a Clarke or Fox?

There’s long been a need to raise the draft age. And I would also add a year of Uni, TAFE, or similar should be a prerequisite for draft eligibility.

There’s long been a need to raise the draft age. And I would also add a year of Uni, TAFE, or similar should be a prerequisite for draft eligibility.

Not a fan of it, I'd rather keep it as it is. I look at a bloke like Sam Walsh last year or Selwood in yesteryear...they were both ready. You are penalising players who are ready. In terms of education, no problem, the clubs should make this a policy. No need to change the draft though. The young players need pre seasons too, the only thing you do by raising the draft age is reduce their playing capacity as a player.

Not a fan of it, I'd rather keep it as it is. I look at a bloke like Sam Walsh last year or Selwood in yesteryear...they were both ready. You are penalising players who are ready. In terms of education, no problem, the clubs should make this a policy. No need to change the draft though. The young players need pre seasons too, the only thing you do by raising the draft age is reduce their playing capacity as a player.

For every Walsh or Selwood there are 20 who are not ready, especially those forced to leave their families and communities.

For every Walsh or Selwood there are 20 who are not ready, especially those forced to leave their families and communities.

It's up to the clubs to not play them till they are/ That's on the clubs. We don't need to raise the age at all. There's plenty more than Walsh look at last year's top 10 with the exception of Luke Jackson, all were ready. You are wanting to penalise way more than a couple of players. 18-19 year old players are more ready nowadays.

It's up to the clubs to not play them till they are/ That's on the clubs. We don't need to raise the age at all. There's plenty more than Walsh look at last year's top 10 with the exception of Luke Jackson, all were ready. You are wanting to penalise way more than a couple of players. 18-19 year old players are more ready nowadays.

Leaving aside the clear evidence of brain injury to many players does the issue of mental health of players leaving the game not give you cause to wonder whether we’re taking these kids out of their homes too early?

Leaving aside the clear evidence of brain injury to many players does the issue of mental health of players leaving the game not give you cause to wonder whether we’re taking these kids out of their homes too early?

Not at all. You are looking at every excuse to raise the age when it’s been fine as it is. There’s just no need to change it and thankfully it won’t. The draft is special in our game let’s not stuff it up.

not give you cause to wonder whether we’re taking these kids out of their homes too early?

Whilst every adult is different, I find it hard to believe that Australian adults are so fragile that they can't move out of their parents homes when they nominate for a national competition.

I first moved overseas when I was 23 ffs.

Whilst every adult is different, I find it hard to believe that Australian adults are so fragile that they can't move out of their parents homes when they nominate for a national competition.

I first moved overseas when I was 23 ffs.

The difference between 18 and 23 is vast.

I’m simply advocating that kids spend one year as an adult in their own communities learning to be an adult before they enter the AFL environment.

Who said there was a choice. The only choice is how we play the cards we’ve been dealt.

There’s another option. ALL players and staff from all clubs move to empty hotels in Melbourne. Don’t see their families for 4-5 months. Play the season in empty suburban stadiums just to entertain those of us who can’t think of anything to do but watch footy.

Or we, the consumers might want to think of more innovative ways to pass this extended downtime.
I actually really like this idea. Many of the players do as well. In fact they prefer being in lockdown with each other than mum and dad, and some are currently returning to sydney for that reason. Yes some players would not want to do it, and there should be an opt out with a mini draft of players from state leagues to backfill. Strange times need strange solutions!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back