Play Nice Covid related depression & mental health discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Estimates both here and overseas are that lockdown is causing a roughly 50% rise in the number of suicides, which would be a further 4 people per day (3 men, 1 woman). And a significant number more due to other causes (e.g. people not seeking treatment for other conditions in a timely manner).

The death toll from Covid in Australia thus far..

COVID 123 (many of who had other conditions that may well have killed them anyway).
*additional* Suicides ~500
Other additional deaths: probably thousands by most estimates.

By yeah, let's keep lockdown going!
But that's 123 deaths despite drastic lockdown measures. What would the count be without lockdown?

Consolaçao

All Australian
May 22, 2007
Melbourne Town
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Phnom Penh Utd (curling)
Tragic. Will be one of thousands this year,
He took up boxing after his career. But i believe he only had 4 fights.

Unfortunately anything could have been the trigger. I was wondering what he was up to with himself until now? I hope to god this wasn't a result of this lockdown situation. A lot of businesses are in big trouble. I have no idea if this was what lead to this, but it's horrible to know what people are going through right now.. not only with businesses failing but people locked inside, unable to visit friends and family. It's not a good time right now for mental health.

My guess is there’s a good chance the lockdown contributed to it. Melbourne in July 2020 is surely one of the most depressing places on earth.

Swinburne Uni recently undertook research that found 40% of adults under 25 had thought about suicide in June.

That is a shocking statistic that should force a rethink of the present strategy, though of course it won’t.

For those of us whose minds have a tendency to take us to dark places, the next few months will be hard.

Absolutely tragic news that for some, hits just a little to close to home

On average, 6 men commit suicide a day in Australia. Nearly 2400 in 2017, almost double the national road toll. It ranks tenth amongst the leading causes of death for males (not even in the top 20 causes of deaths for females) and males in the age bracket of 35 to 64 account for nearly 50% of all suicides in Australia.

Unfortunately, despite everyone's well intended words of seeking help before it's too late, it's not that easy.

Long term, deep depression is quite literally a killer. Feelings of hopelessness...worthlessness...loneliness. That feeling that you just dont want to do this anymore. You just want the pain to stop.

Having a hundred people trying to help you doent mean you will feel better, in fact, sometimes the tipping point is to feel that you are being a burden on the ones who care for you. Their life would be better if you were no longer around.

I'm so incredibly saddened by this news. A young man suffered for who knows how long, until he thought the best solution, for everyone, was to end it all. This, despite having young kids that I'm sure he loved more than anything.

Rest easy mate.

another man lost to ******* suicide. ******* sh*t.
and before some arsehole says 'toxic masculinity' is to blame - maybe its time we had a look at the way society treats men rather than blaming men for their despair.
Toxic masculinity is a concept about how men should behave that’s upheld by men and women. It’s not about blame. It’s about explaining why some men believe they need to stay quiet about feelings or mental illness. Fundamentally, it exists to maintain a status quo that damages men who exhibit feelings other than anger, and leads to situations like this. Suicide in men is a huge issue, and one that’s only starting to be talked about properly now, as we start unpacking our need to be unfeeling and upholding unrealistic stereotypes of what being a man means.
I work in a mental health org and mental illness and diagnoses are entirely gendered. I have seen so many men get the wrong treatment for years because certain illnesses are “for women”. It’s our job to call out when someone tells a man to “man up” or anything similar. We are society. We are the people who treat men certain ways. We aren’t the only ones, but we are half of the problem. Let’s not let another death be in vain. Check on your friends and research the signs. Mental health first aid courses are available online now. Let’s all work as a team to end men’s suffering and reduce suicide.

Absolutely tragic news that for some, hits just a little to close to home

On average, 6 men commit suicide a day in Australia. Nearly 2400 in 2017, almost double the national road toll. It ranks tenth amongst the leading causes of death for males (not even in the top 20 causes of deaths for females) and males in the age bracket of 35 to 64 account for nearly 50% of all suicides in Australia.

Unfortunately, despite everyone's well intended words of seeking help before it's too late, it's not that easy.

Long term, deep depression is quite literally a killer. Feelings of hopelessness...worthlessness...loneliness. That feeling that you just dont want to do this anymore. You just want the pain to stop.

Having a hundred people trying to help you doent mean you will feel better, in fact, sometimes the tipping point is to feel that you are being a burden on the ones who care for you. Their life would be better if you were no longer around.

I'm so incredibly saddened by this news. A young man suffered for who knows how long, until he thought the best solution, for everyone, was to end it all. This, despite having young kids that I'm sure he loved more than anything.

Rest easy mate.
an old school mate of mine is an advocate for men's mental health and tours all over the country speaking to businesses and men's groups. She once told me that male suicide is more often the result of relationship breakdown, family separation, and other personal crises, and not related to mental health. That really surprised me. But I suppose it comes down to how we cope with adversity and challenges, especially when intense emotions are involved.

I'm not saying this post relates in any way to Shane Tuck's passing. I have no idea about his personal circumstances. However, clearly it is a tragety.

an old school mate of mine is an advocate for men's mental health and tours all over the country speaking to businesses and men's groups. She once told me that male suicide is more often the result of relationship breakdown, family separation, and other personal crises, and not related to mental health. That really surprised me. But I suppose it comes down to how we cope with adversity and challenges, especially when intense emotions are involved.

I'm not saying this post relates in any way to Shane Tuck's passing. I have no idea about his personal circumstances. However, clearly it is a tragety.
They are all triggers for depression and mental breakdowns though, bit I agree, it can come down to a person's disposition as to how they cope.

There's a reason why so many men in the age group I mentioned go down this path and you hit it on the head.

They are all triggers for depression and mental breakdowns though, bit I agree, it can come down to a person's disposition as to how they cope.

There's a reason why so many men in the age group I mentioned go down this path and you hit it on the head.
yes they are triggers, these challenges can lead to mental illness, especially if assistance isnt sought or available. But my point is, suicide is not only a risk for people with a diagnosed mental illness, it can also affect those who struggle to cope with a personal crisis

and before some arsehole says 'toxic masculinity' is to blame - maybe its time we had a look at the way society treats men rather than blaming men for their despair.
You are correct, unfortunately it doesn't fit the narrative of the MSM, all they want to see is outrage, while hypocrisy is at an all time high.

RIP Shane, Played the game how it should be played and by all accounts a ripper bloke.
Maybe all players should take a knee this coming round instead of virtue signalling for an issue that isn't there.

Woeful news, my best wishes to everybody affected.

According to the stats, 3/4 suicides in Australia are by men.

I always think about this figure when told how good supposedly have it in this country.

This is tragic news. Since lockdown 400 lives have been lost as a result of suicide. The system is broken and needs more support. Lots of people are struggling out there. Take care.

Where are you getting those figures? According to the official stats there are about 2,800 suicides per year in Australia.

If there have been 400 since lockdowns (assuming you mean March) then 400 would be below average, whereas I'd imagine the numbers would be higher now than normal.

If instead you mean since the latest lockdowns in Melbourne, then 400 is mammoth, I hope this isn't true. I'd like to see the stats.

You are correct, unfortunately it doesn't fit the narrative of the MSM, all they want to see is outrage, while hypocrisy is at an all time high.

RIP Shane, Played the game how it should be played and by all accounts a ripper bloke.
Maybe all players should take a knee this coming round instead of virtue signalling for an issue that isn't there.

Victim-hood narratives and virtue signaling are easily the biggest MSM sellers, but you'll note they are always very selective with the cause.

Consider:

The Australian version/focus of the BLM movement was/is about Aboriginal deaths in custody, which, despite a massive reduction of ALL deaths in custody since the related 1991 Royal Commission, still on average there has been eight (8) indigenous deaths per year over the past 5 years. So of course, thanks mainly to MSM and social media driven outrage, thousands of Australians march in the streets in support of this narrative (during a global pandemic no less) and to 'raise our awareness' of this issue...?

VS

Since 2014, on average, six (6) men commit suicide every day in Australia. The number of men who die by intentional self-harm every year is now nearly double the national road toll - in 2018 this was 2,320 suicides compared to 1,225 road deaths.
A total of 3,206 Australians are suspected of committing suicide during 2019, of which 77% of this total are men aged between 15 and 44...!

'MENS LIVES MATTER!' - can someone let me know when the related public rally/march in on...?

Last edited:
Victim-hood narratives and virtue signaling are easily the biggest MSM sellers, but you'll note they are always very selective with the cause.

Consider:

The Australian version/focus of the BLM movement was/is about Aboriginal deaths in custody, which, despite a massive reduction of ALL deaths in custody since the related 1991 Royal Commission, still on average there has been eight (8) indigenous deaths per year over the past 5 years. So of course, thanks mainly to MSM and social media driven outrage, thousands of Australians march in the streets in support of this narrative (during a global pandemic no less) and to 'raise our awareness' of this issue...?

VS

Since 2014, on average, six (6) men commit suicide every day in Australia. The number of men who die by intentional self-harm every year is now nearly double the national road toll - in 2018 this was 2,320 suicides compared to 1,225 road deaths.
A total of 3,206 Australians are suspected of committing suicide during 2019, of which 77% of this total are men aged between 15 and 44...!

'MENS LIVES MATTER!' - can someone let me know when the related public rally/march in on...?

Estimates both here and overseas are that lockdown is causing a roughly 50% rise in the number of suicides, which would be a further 4 people per day (3 men, 1 woman). And a significant number more due to other causes (e.g. people not seeking treatment for other conditions in a timely manner).

COVID 123 (many of who had other conditions that may well have killed them anyway).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Take it to the covid thread, this has no place in this thread, totally disrepectful, and to think you are a Richmond supporter.
Hope the mods give you a day off to consider.

Take it to the covid thread, this has no place in this thread, totally disrepectful, and to think you are a Richmond supporter.

Commenting on factors that are currently greatly increasing the number of suicides is off topic and disrespectful?

As someone who has attempted suicide twice (thank goodness for a weak ceiling fan), it's hard for men. The help may "be there," but there's very few psychologists who actually understand. Their approaches are all around getting men out and engaged, and they seem very disconnected to the fact men can struggle (maybe that's a result of how universities are teaching).

Now the few places men can go and just exist, and deal with their emotions are closed, some due to covid, others due to feminist intervention (men's shed are sexist they said last yr).

I think people, myself included, are frustrated (actually that is an understatement) to see a government imposed lockdown infringe upon our personal liberties. Telsor is suggesting that suicides in the coming months (which in number may exceed deaths from Covid itself) may be prevented if a more sensible approach is adopted. Yes this thread is dedicated to Shane Tuck, but I think Telsor's concern is for the prevention of future suicides by decent hard working people who stand to lose everything.

Consider:

VS

Feel free to start one mate. If you’re not willing to actually help the cause, why whinge about other causes?

there’s a lot you can do for mental health and organisations that help with it. Complaining about how there’s no rally helps no one

Posts discussing mental health & suicide rates have been moved from the Tuck thread to this one. Please use this thread as the discussion point for related matters and leave the Tuck thread for its intended purpose.

I think people, myself included, are frustrated (actually that is an understatement) to see a government imposed lockdown infringe upon our personal liberties. Telsor is suggesting that suicides in the coming months (which in number may exceed deaths from Covid itself) may be prevented if a more sensible approach is adopted. Yes this thread is dedicated to Shane Tuck, but I think Telsor's concern is for the prevention of future suicides by decent hard working people who stand to lose everything.
If you give someone the virus, you are infringing on their personal liberties to the most extreme extent possible - particularly if it kills them.

Yes the lockdown is hard and will likely increase the number of suicides, but the lockdown is also a death prevention measure. In 2018 the USA had just under 50k deaths from suicide. In the 6 months from February they've had 140k deaths from COVID - and this is with some lockdowns.

Countries that have put "personal liberties" ahead of "societal liberties" have had much worse outcomes than those that have put community first.

Such a stigma, why don't they mention it directly
Because there is a copycat effect.

The telltale sign is the link to BeyondBlue etc at the bottom of the article, i.e. at the bottom of https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/jul/20/shane-tuck-afl-mourns-death-of-former-richmond-player :

• In Australia, the crisis support service Lifeline is 13 11 14. In the US, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is 1-800-273-8255. In the UK, Samaritans can be contacted on 116 123. Other international suicide helplines can be found at befrienders.org

to see a government imposed lockdown infringe upon our personal liberties
I think there's a reasonable argument that the targeted lockdowns are what's allowing the rest of the country to go about their daily business in a relatively unaffected way.

We've seen in Spain, the UK, Italy, and most recently the USA what happens if you don't lockdown - the virus then forces the entire country to lockdown harder than you would have before. I don't think that the choice is "lockdown or no lockdown", I think the choice is "lockdown now or worse lockdown later".

If you give someone the virus, you are infringing on their personal liberties to the most extreme extent possible - particularly if it kills them.

Yes the lockdown is hard and will likely increase the number of suicides, but the lockdown is also a death prevention measure. In 2018 the USA had just under 50k deaths from suicide. In the 6 months from February they've had 140k deaths from COVID - and this is with some lockdowns.

Countries that have put "personal liberties" ahead of "societal liberties" have had much worse outcomes than those that have put community first.
This is beside the point of the thread, but transmitting a virus is 'infringing on personal liberties' is it?

And if there is no vaccine in 12 months time, we still put our lives on hold? What about five years? If you are suggesting that transmission of a virus from one person to another is 'infringing their personal liberties' then we may as well pack it all in. I'm a functioning adult and can make an assessment of the risks of going out in public, getting on a plane, going for a meal at a restaurant. If people are concerned about getting a virus, I'm not interfering in their choice to stay home and keep isolated. This is a classic debate about how people view the role of government. I guess I'm of the view that government should keep out of my private affairs and stop trying to save me from myself (a view, incidentally, that was prevalent, until recently).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back