Credit to the umpires.

Remove this Banner Ad

Macca180

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2021
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We all sit here and s**t on the umpires, myself included.
I may be wrong and you may disagree but I feel like at the moment the game has become a far better spectacle than it was the first part of the season.
They are letting it go more, there is less ticky touch bullshit... players are are tackling more ferociously. The new head high stuff being let go is great.
They are paying less and less of the bullshit 50m penalties and destroying games.
They still love to keep loud, vocal home crowds happy.
I personally was ready to give up on the game after the first 5 rounds.
You will always get a few howlers every game but overall THE AFL and the Umpires have improved the game since the first part of the year.
We saw some great games on the weekend due to the umpires letting it go and the players were able to be more ferocious with their attack on the ball and man.

Umpire EVERY game like it is a Grand Final and you will have people tuning in AFL. Well done IMO.

Last weekend was the best umpiring I've seen in a long time. Not just the high tackle stuff but being red hot on holding the ball, especially in the Pies vs Essendon match. If you take possession of the ball and don't dispose of it with a legal kick/handball it should just be auto holding the ball. Simple.

Everyone acknowledges AFL is extremely hard to umpire so take as much 'interpretation' as possible out of it and umpiring gets 10000 % easier

The only downer on last weekends great umpiring is I have 0 confidence whatsoever in the schizophrenic umpires backing it up next week. With all the whining and media attention about Ginnavin not getting frees next week we will probably be back to 100 head high frees and slow boring repeat ball ups

Yep best round of football for the year... becuase the umpires umpired it like it was finals... making the contest so good.

Let's pray they keep it this way and stop with the s**t 50m penalties and ticky touch garbage.

I have never complained about umpires. The rules of the game, and the way umpires are instructed to interpret them is another thing entirely. Umpires are no different to players. They are given instructions, and that is how they are expected to perform. It's not their fault half the rules are rubbish.

I have never complained about umpires. The rules of the game, and the way umpires are instructed to interpret them is another thing entirely. Umpires are no different to players. They are given instructions, and that is how they are expected to perform. It's not their fault half the rules are rubbish.
They absolutely do the best they can with the s**t that's dealt to them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back