D-Day for Didaka

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: R.I.P Didaka

RIP Didaka. Condolences to your family and loved ones. Dont post here a lot but as a reader, it is clear your battle never went unnoticed. An inspiration. Our collective thoughts are for you and those you have left behind. SIDE BY SIDE

Exactly, we sometimes forget how torn those left behind must be feeling. If one of my kids were to die, I really don't know how I would hold it together. My heart goes out to his friends, and especially Emma and close family.

There is no greater tragedy in the world, then to outlive your kids.

Very sad news :(

RIP Didaka, look I'll try to convince the Mighty Bombers to take it easy on your boys next week but I can't make any promises! :rolleyes:

Condolences to his family and I'm sure he'll continue cheering on the Black and White from above.

I never knew you nor do I think I ever interacted with you, however from all the heartfelt words on here I can see you touched a lot of people from all walks of life.

R.I.P mate - Gone way too soon

Re: In Memory of Didaka

Sorry if I missed this somewhere but how old was he when he passed away? I didn't know about any of this as I'm also reasonably new to Big Footy but I am deeply moved but what he wrote over the time and the battle he went through.

Didaka was 27 years old

Thanks. Same age as me :(

Will think of this guy every time we play now. His passion will live on in all us.

Hope I'm not intruding guys, I joined BF in 08 but then had a couple of years off from reading and posting so never had the pleasure of reading his posts 'live' however, reading this thread and the other ones dedicated to him makes it clear as daylight that if there were more people in the world like him it'd be a better place, comiserations to those who knew him and all the best for Monday I'm sure he'll have front row seats wherever he is.

RIP Didaka. You will be missed by all whom you loved and formed friendships with. Your courage and grit in adversity will continue to inspire us all.

My sympathies to Emma, family, friends and Pies faithfull.

Deepest sympathies to all who knew him, both online and off.

I think his story made a greater impact with people here than perhaps even he realised.

RIP

Very saddened to hear of Brent's passing.

I remember when I first started visiting this forum on a regular basis, seeing all the 'Get well soon, Didaka' signatures and wondering, "Who is this guy?" When I came across the 'D-Day' thread, I read through the whole thing and, as someone who has lost both an uncle to bowel cancer and grandfather to throat cancer, found it extremely moving. The way he bravely fought every step of the way and was so open about it just impressed me to no end.

Thinking about his struggle has inspired me on multiple occasions to make better use of my days. When you learn of someone's life being cut so short, you can't help but feel motivated to make better use of your own life; as if you owe it to them to make the most of the days and years they were cruelly denied.

I wish I'd taken the time to write to Brent and let him know how much I appreciated his willingness to share that part of his life; he really did inspire a great many of us and his presence will be sorely missed. My sincere condolences to all of his family and friends.

R.I.P.

I first read this thread on Monday evening. It alerted me to the existance of the 'D-Day' thread on a form I don't visit on my flying visits to BF. I decided to read tbat before posting here. Anyway, I've spent most of my limited time in BF over the last 3 nights reading that thread from start to finish.

It was so often sad, sometimes funny, sometimes optimistic, sometimes not so - but always 100% honest. It was totally, utterly compelling to read what amounted to one person's courageous battle to stay alive - and living a life - against all odds. I now feel emotionally drained after reading that - about a person I've never met. It somehow now feels like I really knew him, such was the raw insights of his thoughts he shared in his writing. God, I wish I knew about that thread earlier.

Brent came across as just a great bloke cruelly cut down far too young. My thoughts go out to his girlfriend, his family and friends. I can only try and imagine the impact this would have on them, and I hope they find some sort of comfort in remembering the quality person that he was.

About that thread - It was, as I said, simply compelling. I've seen quite good books made out of far less material. It really should have a much wider readership than just here on BF.

Finally - I feel lucky. Very lucky. After passing blood, I had a cholonoscopy just a few months back which found cancer causing polyps - which were promptly (and painlessly) removed. The lesson here is - if you haven't already done so ... request your doctor to get a cholonoscopy done. Don't think that you're too young for that.

R.I.P.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Condolances guys. A family member is going through something very similar at the moment. It's a s**t of thing to happen, hopefully one day we'll find a cure.

R.I.P.

R.I.P Brent - you were black and white through and through pal! Maybe you can go and say g'day to my little girl up there......she loves the Pies!

Hi everyone, Emma here again. Just wanted to say a big thanks on behalf of Brent's family and myself, to everyone on here for paying tribute to Brent (Didaka) with the posts and signatures.

I have only just had a chance to sit down and read the entire thread and I am so happy Brent had an outlet where he could chat with people about his cancer. The support from you all has been amazing. Reading the thread, I am glad to see that Brent paved the way for others to talk about friends/family members battle with cancer and to also raise awareness about it.

Thanks to The Sheriff also for writing a fantastic article about Brent.

Thanks also to the person (sorry I forget the name!) who has started up the thread about raising money in honour of Brent for Peter Mac.

Brent loved posting on Big Footy and I am sure your support and kind words helped him through his dark days.

Thanks again, Emma x

Hi everyone, Emma here again. Just wanted to say a big thanks on behalf of Brent's family and myself, to everyone on here for paying tribute to Brent (Didaka) with the posts and signatures.

I have only just had a chance to sit down and read the entire thread and I am so happy Brent had an outlet where he could chat with people about his cancer. The support from you all has been amazing. Reading the thread, I am glad to see that Brent paved the way for others to talk about friends/family members battle with cancer and to also raise awareness about it.

Thanks to The Sheriff also for writing a fantastic article about Brent.

Thanks also to the person (sorry I forget the name!) who has started up the thread about raising money in honour of Brent for Peter Mac.

Brent loved posting on Big Footy and I am sure your support and kind words helped him through his dark days.

Thanks again, Emma x

He was a Great Bloke and Poster on Here Emma and he will be very much Missed. Brian and I had good Footy Talks and I will miss them Tones.

Brent did help people like me who was going through a Family Memember(My Dad) who had a Skin Cancer Malanmoer(Spelling) but Lucky it was Isolated and Did not Spread when they took it all out:thumbsu:

Glad to hear Brent loved posting on BF as much as we Loved him being on here

Emma, I bet Brent went down Fighting to the Very Last Second.

Also Thanks Emma for Telling us about his Sad Passing and Keeping us Updated:thumbsu: You are doing a Fantastic Job

Truly sad... reading this thread and that terrific article by the Sheriff... I am sitting here at work smilling and happy that Collingwood won the flag last year...

I remember when I first saw this thread and thinking to myself what a legend this guy is... and it truly hit me hard when i stumbled across one of the memorial signatures...

Didn't know you Brent... but there won't be too many people out there that I could draw more inspiration from when I find hard times...

RIP Didaka and condolences to his family and friends as well to his Collingwood BF board family...

Just so tragic. Didn't deserve to go so young... nobody does. Things like this just make you realise how petty some of the things we let affect us in life are when there are people like Brent who was dealing with a much bigger problem and handling it all with aplomb.

I didn't know you, but just being able to witness the things you wrote inspires me. Such determination. Such guts.

R.I.P Didaka, and condolences to his family and friends.

I know some of you are going to call bull on this, but I swear its true.

I hadn't heard didaka's story and its only by accident I came across this thread linked on the main board. His story is an absolute inspiration, the fact that he never gave up EVER is so inspiring.

Anyway, i was sitting at home leafing through this thread completely overwhelmed with didaka's courage and perseverence and thought I'd post a farewell message, looking at the clock I realised that I had to be out the door to catch a bus as I had a doctors appointment.

Walking out the door I noticed a lone magpie sitting on the side of the gutter (I see maybe 1 magpie near my house a year, if that), beautiful bird it was, as I got closer to it I realised that it was very injured.

I continued to get closer to it, and it didnt flinch, it just looked up at me in obvious pain but with a look of defiance as if to say "Come on then, bring it".

I took my place at the bus stop and it watched me for a while, before taking a deep breath and propelling itself into the air, and away. It brought a tear to my eye for real.

Magpie Spirit.

Im convinced didaka was the same, fighting the fight with guts and determination.

R.I.P didaka (Brent), I may not have had the honour of knowing you but your story is inspiration for all. Condolences to family and friends.

The mods have decided to merge the R.I.P thread with the D-Day thread. We didn't want to see it slowly slip off the mainpage and thought this was the most respectful and dignified way to deal with the thread. This way we can keep all the lovely messages that everyone has posted.

Rest in peace Didaka, true footy fan I am glad you got to see your boys get up last year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back