News Damien Hardwick agrees to become the coach of The Gold Coast Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

You can do what Hardwick did. Leave with 18-months left on his contract (he probably got paid out 2023) when you realised you can’t get any more from the group you’ve coached for 14-years. And leave with head held high, reputation in tact, and great respect from the entire club from management, players and supporters.

Or ….

You can stick around like a bad smell like Adam Simpson under some ‘noble’ gesture to honour his contract. He’s refusing to stand down despite his team being an absolute disastrous laughing stock for 2-years. He’s refusing to walk as he wants to slurp up his 2024-25 contract, which is his prerogative.

But he’s going to leave with reputation tarnished, no love from supporters, anguish with the board and a distasteful exit all round.

When you see what happened with Clarko at the Hawks, Simpson at the Eagles, Lyon at the Saints (1st time around), it’s hard to believe the Hardwick exit wasn’t handled by all parties about as perfectly as these things can be.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Genuinely curious if Richmond supporters will remain amicable if Hardwick starts poaching Richmond staff and/or players..
As long as we're adequately reimbursed, there's no problem at all. In fact I can give him a few suggestions if he takes the time to contact me.

They can only pay so many players. The Suns have so many talented youngsters, if they start stretching the limits of their salary cap with imports, then it might just squeeze a few of their young guns back our way.

You can do what Hardwick did. Leave with 18-months left on his contract (he probably got paid out 2023) when you realised you can’t get any more from the group you’ve coached for 14-years. And leave with head held high, reputation in tact, and great respect from the entire club from management, players and supporters.

Or ….

You can stick around like a bad smell like Adam Simpson under some ‘noble’ gesture to honour his contract. He’s refusing to stand down despite his team being an absolute disastrous laughing stock for 2-years. He’s refusing to walk as he wants to slurp up his 2024-25 contract, which is his prerogative.

But he’s going to leave with reputation tarnished, no love from supporters, anguish with the board and a distasteful exit all round.

When you see what happened with Clarko at the Hawks, Simpson at the Eagles, Lyon at the Saints (1st time around), it’s hard to believe the Hardwick exit wasn’t handled by all parties about as perfectly as these things can be.

Great post, with coaches it normally ends the same everytime with reputations in tatters and supporters fed up. I think Dimma got out at the right time to maximise his own value and let's face it, he's not the guy to take us forward now, we need new ideas. I can absolutely live with a few years down the bottom if we are getting some development into the youngsters.

Great post, with coaches it normally ends the same everytime with reputations in tatters and supporters fed up. I think Dimma got out at the right time to maximise his own value and let's face it, he's not the guy to take us forward now, we need new ideas. I can absolutely live with a few years down the bottom if we are getting some development into the youngsters.

It’s funny isn’t it. People think we are distraught if we don’t make finals for a few years or more. We spent 35-years basically out of the finals …. we are now about to tick over 1-year out of finals. I think we’ll cope.

It’s funny isn’t it. People think we are distraught if we don’t make finals for a few years or more. We spent 35-years basically out of the finals …. we are now about to tick over 1-year out of finals. I think we’ll cope.

100%, so many opposition supporters seem so angry at Dimma on our behalf. I would much rather this outcome rather than what Simpson has gone through at West Coast. Dimma has also denied the mainstream media from a years worth of click bait articles about his future if he had stayed with us next year.

This incredibly successful era has come to an end and a lot of us have more than come to terms with this. There is nothing more Dimma could have gotten out of this list. Many supporters main concern is that we get the next coach appointment right and a lot of us are unsure about Mini and want a new voice from outside the club.

I am surprised by so much negativity from non-Tigers supporters here.

It should really only matter what Tigers supporters think about Hardwick departure and that's overwhelmingly positive and for a good reason. He oversaw an amazing run and most Tigers supporters are grateful for that and realize it was probably time for him to go.

Wil Hardwick succeed with Suns? Who knows. Does he still have the drive? Will he have support of great assistant coaches? This is not Vic club with all associated advantages. I will watch with interest.

As for Tigers future, I foresee some pain coming. Not overly excited about young players except Gibcus and more old players are close to end. It's a bloody even competition and many teams are on up vying for finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's the right time for Gold Coast to get a senior coach like Hardwick. They unquestionably have the most talented list in the league with 3 more top 10 academy players this year. They need someone with a bit of experience and toughness to take them to the next level. I think it's a good move for all parties including Richmond who are about to embark on a rebuild of sorts (without top end draft picks). Their recruits are good enough to keep them mid table.

I think the real concern is going to be who Richmond assign as senior coach. You surely cannot appoint Mcqualter can you? I find nothing about him convincing in the same way I was never convinced by Bolton at Carlton. Nice guy who is well liked, but not a senior coach.

I am surprised by so much negativity from non-Tigers supporters here.

It should really only matter what Tigers supporters think about Hardwick departure and that's overwhelmingly positive and for a good reason. He oversaw an amazing run and most Tigers supporters are grateful for that and realize it was probably time for him to go.

Wil Hardwick succeed with Suns? Who knows. Does he still have the drive? Will he have support of great assistant coaches? This is not Vic club with all associated advantages. I will watch with interest.

As for Tigers future, I foresee some pain coming. Not overly excited about young players except Gibcus and more old players are close to end. It's a bloody even competition and many teams are on up vying for finals.
I reckon you're in for some good times. They've certainly made you earn it, but I think your time is coming.

Going to be an interesting ride for your club. You have gone out and gotten the most accomplished and experienced coach available. The question marks on Dimma (Does he have the drive? How much of his success was due to others? Can he do it all again?) Is quite different to the question marks of every untried coach (Can they actually coach?).

I think it's the right move though, you get who is best available.

Sorry but what success?
You guys are about to spend years battling to even make the finals. You are now a middle of the road table team and it's one of the main reasons Hardwick got out when he did.
Most Tigers supporters were saying we needed a new coach/voice long before Hardwick left.
So were not really sad about it.

Most Tigers supporters were saying we needed a new coach/voice long before Hardwick left.
So were not really sad about it.
Agreed. It was time. No point in having Dimma stick around clinging to his contract when the side clearly needed a new voice. I think generally across the board our supporters think we need to take a few steps back to go forward.

I mean hey, it's not like we are gifted by the AFL making rule changes to suit our game style, given trials of these rules before the rest of the comp, get to train on our home ground etc

This is a smart business decision from Dimma lined up well ahead of the "shock" resignation.

We could all imagine the media in 2024 and 2025 when the Tigers bottom out - "does Dimma still have it", "is Dimma still the right man to coach Richmond", "Dimma on Richmond sack watch" etc.

Instead he ditches the rebuild for a young list with a huge amount of academy talent coming through, gets to work under near-zero pressure with modest expectations, has minimal media focus, and becomes the highest paid coach in the game.

I don't anticipate this will end well for GC, but for Dimma this is gold (pun 100% intended).

Even if GC are mediocre and never play finals it won't tarnish his reputation one bit.

I find it hilarious the outrage and contempt opposition supporters are directing at Dimma for daring to not hanging around at the club to be sacked. He owned Richmond and our supporters nothing. He wanted to start afresh and knew we needed to do the same with a new coach. Gale will do the same in a couple of years (probably helping the club find his replacement before so though) and we'll feel the same about him leaving too.

Dimma was not motivated to have to start again with the same club. He didn't want to have to move players on that he loved. He didn't want to have to try and sell ice to the same Eskimo's. He knew it was time to move on for him and for us.

If only every coach was able to leave clubs with the same level of respect, care and integrity Dimma has.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back