Injury Dangerfield injury latest - Hamstring - updated 4pm 13/3/18

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the game has moved away from that anyway. There is less reliance than ever on one player. We had Selwood miss four matches last year. We won three of them and drew the other one. Against good opposition too.
That could also be a sign that, at least last year, Selwood's influence was as large overall. I just kept getting the impression the side watches and defers too much. I'd much rather see one of them push PFD out of way to get a ball at a stoppage or surge forward with him when he collects a ball and demand it from him. I fear with him and Ablett out there together there will be too much spectating.

Kingy have you considered the possibility of crowdsourcing topics and questions for your K rock pre-game show from this forum instead of relying on Twitter/Facebook exclusively for your non-phone-in audience interaction? Most people here are diehard, well-informed fans so you will almost certainly get good quality questions rather than generic ones casual supporters might throw at you. Plus it's potentially a good way of increasing people's engagement with K rock.

Ablett in, we'll win.

The 'occasion' will inspire a win.

Same way a failing team that gets a new coach mid season. 90% of the time they win their 1st few games.

That could also be a sign that, at least last year, Selwood's influence was as large overall. I just kept getting the impression the side watches and defers too much. I'd much rather see one of them push PFD out of way to get a ball at a stoppage or surge forward with him when he collects a ball and demand it from him. I fear with him and Ablett out there together there will be too much spectating.
I hope to be spectating the dazzling GAJ deep forward, and Danger et al getting down to Hawk, Menzel GAJ. Sheer quality forwards.
When was the last time we had a scarily potent and classy forward line? Last time we had Chappy/SJ I'd say.
Having a fit Cockatoo- sounds oxymoronic- but that would help.

At times yes. But they haven't done that with Dangerfield. And no matter what people think, it doesn't help when the player in question leaves the ground by himself while it's still in progress. If he'd waited until afterwards I doubt there would have been any issue at all.
We are so desperate for footy to start that we're canning Danger for leaving nothing more than a practice game in which he was injured 1st Q.
I have zero personal issue with him leaving at quarter time rather than sit on the pine at Colac and getting stiffer, sorer, and bombarded by media hounds there all avo.
He and the club rightly got him out of there.
All players go back to the clubs for recovery before going home. From Colac to Geelong to Moggs Creek after a 1pm game.
That would have kept him back several hours with a partial tear hammy. Not ideal.
What he did was perfect for him and GFC, BUT the fact that it seems he has to be answerable to everybody with an opinion is tragic.

I dunno. If we couldn't win Menzel's comeback game...
Fair point. That was an inexplicable shocker of a game, similar to the Boris loss v Demons at home as far as results for occasion.

We are so desperate for footy to start that we're canning Danger for leaving nothing more than a practice game in which he was injured 1st Q.
I have zero personal issue with him leaving at quarter time rather than sit on the pine at Colac and getting stiffer, sorer, and bombarded by media hounds there all avo.
He and the club rightly got him out of there.
All players go back to the clubs for recovery before going home. From Colac to Geelong to Moggs Creek after a 1pm game.
That would have kept him back several hours with a partial tear hammy. Not ideal.
What he did was perfect for him and GFC, BUT the fact that it seems he has to be answerable to everybody with an opinion is tragic.

If the same rules apply to every single player, whether a 15 year veteran or a new draftee, then I agree completely. But if other players have to stay until the end and aren't allowed to depart early then I couldn't disagree more.

I'll say it again, they aren't being media hounds to ask at a football game how bad a star player's injury is. They're actually doing their job.

If the same rules apply to every single player, whether a 15 year veteran or a new draftee, then I agree completely. But if other players have to stay until the end and aren't allowed to depart early then I couldn't disagree more.

I'll say it again, they aren't being media hounds to ask at a football game how bad a star player's injury is. They're actually doing their job.
And if Danger had stayed, all would have been hunky dory?
You can not treat every player as if they are playing in a communist regime.
It doesn't happen at any team, nor should it.
We would never have seen the magic of GAS if Blighty had the same attitude as Yabbie.
Some players are given leeway to start the rehab process , and this was a prac game after all. And a first quarter injury which needs to be rehashed.
And there's asking and there's asking

We would never have seen the magic of GAS if Blighty had the same attitude as Yabbie.
Some players are given leeway to start the rehab process , and this was a prac game after all. And a first quarter injury which needs to be rehashed.
Given he went back to the club I just assumed he was told to get back there and given instructions what to do (ice it, recovery pool etc)

Given he went back to the club I just assumed he was told to get back there and given instructions what to do (ice it, recovery pool etc)
Of course.
I am certain that prematch, Danger was not told that if he was to get an injury, that he should just pack up and escape back to the club.
They would have suggested post injury to get out of that scene ASAP.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting example though. Ablett senior's output improved partly because Blight insisted he did a full pre-season with everyone else. The playing group responded because they acknowledged that Ablett was doing the same work they were.

Interesting example though. Ablett senior's output improved partly because Blight insisted he did a full pre-season with everyone else. The playing group responded because they acknowledged that Ablett was doing the same work they were.
Not so.
Blighty and everybody knew that GAS could turn up to preseason the week before the season started and be as fit and ready to go as his inferiors. Just from hunting, fishing and his general and natural prowess. He did never conform to ALL the training sessions that others did, and yes, Mick Turner as skipper objected, but in the end, he was overruled by COMMON sense.

Not so.
Blighty and everybody knew that GAS could turn up to preseason the week before the season started and be as fit and ready to go as his inferiors. Just from hunting, fishing and his general and natural prowess. He did never conform to ALL the training sessions that others did, and yes, Mick Turner as skipper objected, but in the end, he was overruled by COMMON sense.

Mick Turner wasn't captain when Blight was there. His last season was 1988, the same as Devine.

When Blight took over, Ablett completed a full pre-season. He got an ironic cheer from the playing group when he was there on Day 1. That story you've referred too was from 1985. Where Blight did allow leeway - in the early 1990s to prolong his career - was where Ablett only trained lightly before Christmas, but did full training from there on in. That's in Ablett's own words too. But the myth that he did no pre-season training is complete fantasy.

The other players are not as integral to the team or are marquee players.

It’s a fact that He’s more valuable than the others and they all know it. I suspect that there are probably half a dozen key players that they’d send back to Geelong right away.

What does it matter? It’s a professional sport and the aim is to have the best team playing. The players understand that it’s a business as well as something that draws passion.

Mick Turner wasn't captain when Blight was there. His last season was 1988, the same as Devine.

When Blight took over, Ablett completed a full pre-season. He got an ironic cheer from the playing group when he was there on Day 1. That story you've referred too was from 1985. Where Blight did allow leeway - in the early 1990s to prolong his career - was where Ablett only trained lightly before Christmas, but did full training from there on in. That's in Ablett's own words too. But the myth that he did no pre-season training is complete fantasy.
True about Turner/Devine.
Nevertheless, the principle is the issue, and not every player is treated the same. Even within preseason, there are individual programmes for some players that are essential for survival, and that's today.
And Billy, Buddha and others will tell you how little training GAS needed to do to be what he was. Yes, he did not do nothing.

At times yes. But they haven't done that with Dangerfield. And no matter what people think, it doesn't help when the player in question leaves the ground by himself while it's still in progress. If he'd waited until afterwards I doubt there would have been any issue at all.
This is seriously wrong.
Treatment wise he would hav3 been better off being choppered home and commence rehab ASAP, having to drive it made sense fo4 him to go.
The same people had nothing to say when an injured Ablett attended the Logies instead of being at an afl game

He is a snipe. He lined up Dangerfield both games last season and caused both his season injuries. the guy is a thug. Anyone who goes out with the intention of hurting opposition players is pretty low. Hard at the ball is different, that’s not what he does

Roughead IS a thug! As you said: "Anyone who goes out with the intention of hurting opposition players is pretty low." Selwood is hard at the ball, never with any intention of injuring another player. Roughead, like other Hawks' players, deliberately target players. You'd think, having experienced a life threatening disease, he'd value health + life, but no, he is a vile piece of work! Untouchable, like other Hawks' players, who consistently avoid scrutiny + sanction from the Tribunal. It ******* stinks!

In the pix below, Roughead makes no attempt to get the ball, in fact, Dangerfield has already disposed of it! Roughead could have stopped, but no, goes at full speed into Dangerfield.

Dangerfield - Roughead Bump-2.png Dangerfield - Roughead Bump-1.png

People can’t handle that he is such a great football player for a top team and behaves like this.

Just pisses them off too much.

If it was an average footballer then nobody would really care and probably would enjoy it.
If it was one of their team's players, would probably think it was fantastic! I'm just baffled by the hate towards Geelong, sure there are teams like Hawks, Freo, Crows + WCE that I dislike, but Geelong is amazing, how could oppo fans dislike Geelong? :huh: :p

People are envious of success, especially when they're failing, so have to pull successful people down, they have to condemn success to make themselves feel better. You know - tall poppy syndrome.

They can ask, but door stopping evert time someone steps out of their house? There is a limit IMO. Its not the wanting the update that's the issue rather the methodology used to obtain it. And not all media do it - but there are some..

GO Catters
Get on to Darren Lyons (spelling) to stop his paparazzi from stalking Dangerfield

Roughead IS a thug! As you said: "Anyone who goes out with the intention of hurting opposition players is pretty low." Selwood is hard at the ball, never with any intention of injuring another player. Roughead, like other Hawks' players, deliberately target players. You'd think, having experienced a life threatening disease, he'd value health + life, but no, he is a vile piece of work! Untouchable, like other Hawks' players, who consistently avoid scrutiny + sanction from the Tribunal. It ******* stinks!

In the pix below, Roughead makes no attempt to get the ball, in fact, Dangerfield has already disposed of it! Roughead could have stopped, but no, goes at full speed into Dangerfield.

View attachment 470272 View attachment 470274
I believe that group were instructed to play that way and it's payed dividends,I couldn't believe though when Campbell Brown first went to the Suns and in the Geelong preseason game first quarter Mitch f--king brown of all people was on fire at FF and Campbell cleaned him up,shortly after he tried to take Selwood out but missed and ironed out his own team mate.Even I think that's overboard preseason.

I believe that group were instructed to play that way and it's payed dividends,I couldn't believe though when Campbell Brown first went to the Suns and in the Geelong preseason game first quarter Mitch f--king brown of all people was on fire at FF and Campbell cleaned him up,shortly after he tried to take Selwood out but missed and ironed out his own team mate.Even I think that's overboard preseason.

That's Campbell Brown though, not Hawthorn. He was delisted by the Suns for kinghitting a teammate. You can't pin that on Hawthorn as much as people would like to.

I'd still like to see the footage of Roughead and Dangerfield captured above. From the images I'm struggling to see what's so bad. You're allowed to bump a player as they kick the ball. We don't seem to have a problem if Cockatoo does it, a few on here get quite excited in fact.

Campbell Brown fractured his pelvis in that game, which I claim credit for doing to him. When I saw the Suns' team bus, I sprinted towards it, determined to be the first person to welcome GAJ back to Geelong. Brown was in my way + despite screaming at him to move, he stood still + I gave him the best shirt front you'd ever seen :p:p:p

Edit: You said "the Geelong preseason game", I was talking about the first Suns' game at KP, GAJ didn't play.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back