David Lloyd retires from commentary.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Some sad news in the build up to Christmas - David Lloyd, affectionately known as ''Bumble'', has announced his retirement as a commentator after 22 years behind the microphone as a TV commentator. He also did some work with TMS before his time coaching England.

On a personal level, I'm going to miss listening to one of my favourite commentators. Thanks for the memories and the entertainment you provided, Bumble.

Below is his statement announcing the news

FHH6EPqXEAAi0AC

Last edited:
Some sad news in the build up to Christmas - David Lloyd, affectionately known as ''Bumble'', has announced his retirement as a commentator after 22 years behind the microphone as a TV commentator. He also did some work with TMS before his time coaching England.

Below is his statement announcing the news

FHH6EPqXEAAi0AC
Bumble was good. Was one of the last good mature ones remaining.

Damn that sucks the English commentators have brought so much colour to the game through that self deprecating manner they seem to all have built into them outside of Botham who is decent enough anyway.

I grew up listening to the 93 ashes series on abc where they had Blowers, Trueman, Christopher Martin Jenkins, Vic Marks, Aggers, and then later down the track across the various media there was Bumble, Gower, Roebuck - questionable character at best but my God he knew his cricket, and even Mark Nicholas for a time was very good.

The newer brigade has a couple of decent types in Atherton and Hussain, and Nick Knight is actually pretty decent but that cavalcade of professional journalists and commentators who happened to play county or a bit of test cricket was just a joy to listen to.

He was on at tea time in the First test, wearing his pyjamas and sipping from a cup of tea (obviously in the UK).

He pretty much repeated what everyone else had said about the English team selection, but he said it in such a deadpan, understated manner and with perfect timing that I was sitting in front of my TV chuckling away.

Unique character, with a great CV and able to entertain and inform.

Holding and now my favourite commentator in Bumble.
Cricket from the UK won't be the same. :sadv1:

I think a fundamental difference between the English commentators and the Australians is that it is often the English commentators who take the piss out of themselves and their own shortcomings rather than having a co commentator do it for them.

Both sets occasionally seem to get sidetracked describing things that have nothing at all to do with cricket but there seemed a degree of sophistication behind Blowers talking about a random umbrella in the crowd and formulating some fantastical inference from it whereas now we get Warney talking about pizza or the juicy wiggle or something

I should mention one of my favourite Bumble moments behind the mic came during the 2009 Ashes series. Warnie asked Bumble what he'd been up to in between tests. Bumble said he'd been to LA. Warnie was impressed thinking Bumble had snuck in a trip to America in between tests when in actual fact the "LA'' that Bumble was referring to was Lower Accrington which is somewhere in the north of England.

Will be sorely missed, the UK Sky commentary team has been my favourite commentary team over the years and Bumble was an important part of it.

He was knowledgeable about the game but it was his quirky sense of humour that really made him unique and what he will be most remembered for.

I thin
Unsurprisingly retired after some racism has come out
Personally feel like he wanted to go out because alot of his favourite co-workers are no longer there.

One of the great commentators. I loved his witty, humorous, lighted-hearted commentary.

There will not be another David Lloyd again.

End of an era at Sky UK. Gower, Holding, Bumble, Botham all gone. Bob Willis passing away was a big shock.

I listened to Gower on a podcast a little while back and he said it was not his decision and he still wants to be involved in broadcasting. Botham obviously is being heard on the Aussie coverage, Holding looks like he's retired for good. I think Bumble would be great for radio as a storyteller but his call what to do.

I love Bumble, and I’m sure we haven’t heard the last of him on Australian coverage. Wouldn’t be surprised if Fox/Seven coax him out here for a 2 month stay to cover the next Ashes tour.

I love Bumble, and I’m sure we haven’t heard the last of him on Australian coverage. Wouldn’t be surprised if Fox/Seven coax him out here for a 2 month stay to cover the next Ashes tour.
My fav commentator, dude was hilarious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think a fundamental difference between the English commentators and the Australians is that it is often the English commentators who take the piss out of themselves and their own shortcomings rather than having a co commentator do it for them.

Both sets occasionally seem to get sidetracked describing things that have nothing at all to do with cricket but there seemed a degree of sophistication behind Blowers talking about a random umbrella in the crowd and formulating some fantastical inference from it whereas now we get Warney talking about pizza or the juicy wiggle or something
Blowers is one of a kind in that regard, often says nothing about the actual game but is very entertaining. Love Blowers, Marks and Bumble. Boycott is a goose, Athers is bitter. Hussain is ok.

Athers is a good analyst. Boycott was and is an utter ******* but I loved his voice
Yup, love Geoffrey’s voice, especially when he appeared on brass eye, but Lordy he’s a self important w*nker. Athers can be good if he sticks to analysis, but too often his moaning gets in the way. Overall though the English pundits are superior.

Blowers is one of a kind in that regard, often says nothing about the actual game but is very entertaining. Love Blowers, Marks and Bumble. Boycott is a goose, Athers is bitter. Hussain is ok.
I used to love listening to Blowers on the radio during the Ashes, long after I was supposed to be asleep. His cricket stories between overs were entertaining, such as the change of innings in a county game - the groundsman accidentally dropped his dentures on the pitch, and then ran over them. Apparently when play restarted, the pitch suddenly had more bite in it.......

Agree to disagree on Athers, I think he's excellent. Nass I also quite like. Yep, Blowers, Vic and Bumble are top class.

Boycott is a total clown, but his voice is a pisser and his relentlessness when he decides he thinks someone is s**t is hilarious. His utter disdain for Jackson Bird on more than one occasion was classic.

I thin

Personally feel like he wanted to go out because alot of his favourite co-workers are no longer there.

One of the great commentators. I loved his witty, humorous, lighted-hearted commentary.

There will not be another David Lloyd again.
As an Englishman never liked him as a plyer, coach or commentator, up himself

End of an era at Sky UK. Gower, Holding, Bumble, Botham all gone. Bob Willis passing away was a big shock.

I couldn’t agree more. When I was in the uk in 2006 to 2010 found both their cricket and football commentary top notch.

On a side note of all the good english commentators mentioned in this thread and fox go with Vaughan who plays along as Warnie’s best mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back