Rumour Dayne Beams - will he or won't he retire?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The number of ‘me’s’ and ‘I’s’ in that article made me sick. What about the club you lied to and are holding to ransom. It’s like Collingwood is his superfund funding his retirement. Shameless self promotion from a selfish person.

I think you might find that when it comes to mental illness, the person who is suffering it is largely focused on themselves and hopefully recovery - hence the ‘me’s’ and ‘I’s’.

This appears in the Age today, extends upon things a bit:

Whatever the article says, people will read in it whatever they want to, which will usually confirm their own perspectives and beliefs. For me, it is about a bloke who is still trying to crawl out from a dark place, who thinks he's found some light in the world, who still wonders if he deserves any joy, but who also wants to share his perspective in a way which could benefit others.

I think you might find that when it comes to mental illness, the person who is suffering it is largely focused on themselves and hopefully recovery - hence the ‘me’s’ and ‘I’s’.
Not questioning the fact that he is unwell and needs to recover, what I am questioning though is the fact that he insisted on being traded to Collingwood and he insisted on us adequately compensating Brisbane for his services. I do not believe that he came to Collingwood 100% mentally sound, I think he knew that he was in a bit of strife and was looking for somebody to pay his bills. That is entirely selfish and self indulgent. Many people suffer from mental illness, not everybody has the luxury of getting paid top dollar, rent a factory to draw and colour in (albeit outside the lines from what I can tell in the article)...he has no intention of playing football hand back the money unleash the pies and regain some integrity.

Not questioning the fact that he is unwell and needs to recover, what I am questioning though is the fact that he insisted on being traded to Collingwood and he insisted on us adequately compensating Brisbane for his services. I do not believe that he came to Collingwood 100% mentally sound, I think he knew that he was in a bit of strife and was looking for somebody to pay his bills. That is entirely selfish and self indulgent. Many people suffer from mental illness, not everybody has the luxury of getting paid top dollar, rent a factory to draw and colour in (albeit outside the lines from what I can tell in the article)...he has no intention of playing football hand back the money unleash the pies and regain some integrity.

I understand what you are saying and you maybe right. Not sure what his mindset is but I can see how you would reach this conclusion.

Whatever the article says, people will read in it whatever they want to, which will usually confirm their own perspectives and beliefs. For me, it is about a bloke who is still trying to crawl out from a dark place, who thinks he's found some light in the world, who still wonders if he deserves any joy, but who also wants to share his perspective in a way which could benefit others.

This a good point. Very normal human behaviour to share your learnings with others when you are searching for something. It's almost a sense of enlightenment.

The number of ‘me’s’ and ‘I’s’ in that article made me sick. What about the club you lied to and are holding to ransom. It’s like Collingwood is his superfund funding his retirement. Shameless self promotion from a selfish person.

and Shows how Gullible we where to Belive Him

and Shows how Gullible we where to Belive Him

Whilst Beams had a role to play, it is the club, and dare I say likely one powerful individual, that are to blame for this trade. It was always risky and it has proven to be so.

Beams behaviour, whilst offensive to many, is not that far apart from the behaviour of the rest of the AFL playing group in this current climate.

Whilst Beams had a role to play, it is the club, and dare I say likely one powerful individual, that are to blame for this trade. It was always risky and it has proven to be so.

Beams behaviour, whilst offensive to many, is not that far apart from the behaviour of the rest of the AFL playing group in this current climate.
Agree that Eddie played his part, but he didn’t insist on paying over the odds. He should have been traded with a round 6 pick much like we traded Cloke to the Dogs.

This a good point. Very normal human behaviour to share your learnings with others when you are searching for something. It's almost a sense of enlightenment.
I can’t see it that way. Surely “enlightenment” would come with a measure of “honesty”.
Actually the bloke is still describing himself as a player, which he clearly isn’t any more, and it’s clearly part of a bogus posture linked to a settlement negotiation.
It’s a terrible spectacle. I wish he would get off Instagram and Twitter and out of the papers, stop batting on about how he feels, retire and move on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bullshit......and stop insinuating it was Eddies doing.......it’s just as tiresome as this w***ers art.

Agree that Eddie played his part, but he didn’t insist on paying over the odds. He should have been traded with a round 6 pick much like we traded Cloke to the Dogs.
Not when said person was in the 10 best midfielders in the comp in 2018 and still under contract. Similar to the Bryce Gibbs trade. You have to pay overs if you want someone like him.

Wouldn’t look so bad if he had signed on for 2 years rather than the 4. It seems a little preplanned to me now that he wasn’t going to last the distance? Although not sure which party pushed for the long term deal initially....

Happy to see Beamer feeling better within himself about life and his future. Definitely wish him all the best going forward.
So l take the article in the HS today that Beamer has officially retired from AFL, but yet we have no formal announcement from the club.
I gather the club would have been working out a payout figure, but that has now been thrown into disarray with the player pay cuts!!

Bullshit......and stop insinuating it was Eddies doing.......it’s just as tiresome as this w***ers art.

Mate there's an old adage if you keep externalising blame, you don't move forward. The club was very much party to this trade and so the buck rests with the club and in particular those who implemented it. It would seem from the jungle drums (of course it may not be true) that a certain President was influential in getting this deal over the line ie the mantra of bringing back a past premiership player in need.

Bottom line the club has ****ed up.

If Brisbane only asked for a future first (2019), would the deal have been so bad? - Apart from Beams not playing and the length of his contract.

We got who we were after in 2018 anyway

It was not our finest hour.

I hoped this was the warning we needed that player recruitment decisions should not be made on sentiment. We shall see.

I think it's more complicated than that. Sentiment and team spirit are inextricably linked. To me, it's more about being better judges of character.

Beams might be happy without footy but he doesn't have an option, Pies were never having him back.

I bet when he is paid out he signs with a local footy club for 1k plus per game.

I hope you're right. I read it a bit more worryingly.
Sounded like a bloke trying to convince himself and others that things are going well. Dayne seems to send out a good news story and then not long afterwards there's a bad news story about him. Hopefully, that trend has stopped.

I hope you're right. I read it a bit more worryingly.
Sounded like a bloke trying to convince himself and others that things are going well. Dayne seems to send out a good news story and then not long afterwards there's a bad news story about him. Hopefully, that trend has stopped.

As I say, I still think he's in a bad place, but he's found something which gives him a reprieve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back