Review Dees v the Aints: the Good, Bad & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Its getting to the stage now where I just expect him to look average week to week, no point even getting worked up over. Might start calling him Dulliver though.
He looks like all the things that made him special have been coached out of him, I actually think he'd benefit from change in scenery or a new coach but it will never happen.

He looks like all the things that made him special have been coached out of him, I actually think he'd benefit from change in scenery or a new coach but it will never happen.
I think hes just let his fitness levels drop off each year since the flag (or big contract) and tries getting by on talent, go compare his body shape back then to the past couple of years.

Wasn’t even a comfortable victory, lets be honest.

Outside of North the Saints are the worst team in the league and they won two quarters.

And you just know those campaigners are out drunk on barhwater somewhere celebrating too.
I said during the game the scoreboard flattered us a bit. Saints had some chances to get back into the game from pretty close range that they squandered. We won from a good first quarter and a ten minute hot patch in the third, also a lot of our goals came from center clearances, which are great but they're bonuses most weeks.

We deserved the win but it wasn't anything to write home about.

I think hes just let his fitness levels drop off each year since the flag (or big contract) and tries getting by on talent, go compare him body shape back then to the past couple of years.
Yeah well we all know why his fitness fell apart. By all reports he hasn't set a foot wrong since coming back into the side but I would have expected more by now. If it was just a matter of fitness I'd just drop him for a month to let him get that base up.

Yeah well we all know why his fitness fell apart. By all reports he hasn't set a foot wrong since coming back into the side but I would have expected more by now. If it was just a matter of fitness I'd just drop him for a month to let him get that base up.
Im sure he can still run out games to an AFL standard, just saying I doubt he does all the things he used to with extra sessions, strict diet etc. He was so much leaner in 2021, had way more burst to his game.

I said during the game the scoreboard flattered us a bit. Saints had some chances to get back into the game from pretty close range that they squandered. We won from a good first quarter and a ten minute hot patch in the third, also a lot of our goals came from center clearances, which are great but they're bonuses most weeks.

We deserved the win but it wasn't anything to write home about.

Pretty much, and we all expect a massive shitfest against Freo this week to revert to the mean.

If we actually attack the game against Freo and are willing to maybe concede a couple stoppage goals (They're excellent at stoppage) I will actually give credit.

Although Oliver's impact is definitely down overall, (I'd say it's mostly fitness related, as others has said he's clearly carrying too much weight) I thought his hands were very good yesterday and we actually set up well around him to utilise his strengths.

He shoveled out a lot of good handballs to people on the move. Nibs and Kozzy in the midfield mix is helping.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oliver had 24 disposals with only one turnover, 5 clearances, 5 tackles, 5 score involvements, while sitting on the pine for 7-10 minutes every quarter.

I didn’t think he was that bad
Don't think anyone said he was bad? The criticism is that he's fine but he's also one of if not our highest paid player and is clearly not playing his best footy or having the impact on games he should.

Oliver had 24 disposals with only one turnover, 5 clearances, 5 tackles, 5 score involvements, while sitting on the pine for 7-10 minutes every quarter.

Clarry has stuffed the stat sheet since his debut, I don't think it is a good indicator.

Like A11 has said he looks like the 3rd Crouch brother rather than the best inside mid in the game 2018-2022.

He wasn't bad, he was meh, nowhere near a 1m player we are paying him to be.

Don't think anyone said he was bad? The criticism is that he's fine but he's also one of if not our highest paid player and is clearly not playing his best footy or having the impact on games he should.

Yeah like if we are willing to pay a guy around 1m a year for 6 more years after this season for his current output we are kidding ourselves.

Yeah like if we are willing to pay a guy around 1m a year for 6 more years after this season for his current output we are kidding ourselves.
ANB would be on half what Oliver is and averaging a similar impact on games.

Good point re the money, however with the salary cap constantly increasing we will see blokes like reid earning double that in a few years. One average season shouldn’t be the point to jump off for a bloke with all his accolades

Good point re the money, however with the salary cap constantly increasing we will see blokes like reid earning double that in a few years. One average season shouldn’t be the point to jump off for a bloke with all his accolades
How so? Youre paying guys for what they can do moving forward, not what they have done in the past. Wont win flags if you hand out contracts on past performance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back