Resource Depression/Anxiety the silent killers - everyday is RUOK day. #SpeakUpStayChatTy

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve always had sleeping problems, mainly because I have trouble switching off, and the best thing that has worked for me is creating a story that you run through in your head each night.
It is important that it isn’t about you, and somewhat boring. You build it up as you go to quash any flights of fancy and keep it mundane.
It will take months, but you eventually train yourself to slow down your fears and anxiety.
Even if you don’t end up sleeping as much as you would like, it does promote a more restful state.

I used to suffer from all kinds of ****ed up sleep paralysis, night terrors, etc. all the way through my late teens and early 20s. It sucks mate but don't be embarassed. Try not to nap throughout the day and I agree with the suggestion to run through a story each night to distract you.
Thanks guys appreciate it👌🏻

This is for the parents with adolescents/teenagers.

Please DO NOT send them to headspace, myself and many other people have had really bad experiences. The guy I saw hung up on me because I was taking too long trying to articulate my feelings into words.

Find a good psychologist and get a GP to make a mental health plan and get a referal❤️

I can’t believe it. So my mum is doing a pop up in chaddy for her company and they run an event where it’s catered for.

And one of my abusers was a caterer 😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡 I’m sick to my stomach. My mum thankfully didn’t make a scene but he was trying to get into the conversation and apparently was sweating so much and she was talking down to him lol.

I can’t believe it.

I can’t believe it. So my mum is doing a pop up in chaddy for her company and they run an event where it’s catered for.

And one of my abusers was a caterer 😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡 I’m sick to my stomach. My mum thankfully didn’t make a scene but he was trying to get into the conversation and apparently was sweating so much and she was talking down to him lol.

I can’t believe it.
That's unbelievably rough for you and your mum. Hope her workplace is strong enough to put a line through that company for future events.

Two weeks ago I was prescribed Sertraline - an anti-depressant - for my inability to handle even the most routine of life's stressors. Started seeing a psychologist to help. Early days yet but today was the first 'bad day' since and felt 'off' all day but no 'meltdown'. Wondering if anyone else has any experience with Sertraline. So I've dropped 4kgs (good) but putting that down to being off the sauce for two weeks. Not sure if it's doing anything or not yet.

And one of my abusers was a caterer I’m sick to my stomach. My mum thankfully didn’t make a scene but he was trying to get into the conversation and apparently was sweating so much and she was talking down to him lol.

I can’t believe it.
That's rough.

Hope you're OK.

Two weeks ago I was prescribed Sertraline - an anti-depressant - for my inability to handle even the most routine of life's stressors. Started seeing a psychologist to help. Early days yet but today was the first 'bad day' since and felt 'off' all day but no 'meltdown'. Wondering if anyone else has any experience with Sertraline. So I've dropped 4kgs (good) but putting that down to being off the sauce for two weeks. Not sure if it's doing anything or not yet.
I can't comment on Sertraline, but typically these types of medications take six to eight weeks to really kick in. The doctor and pharmacist that prescribed and distributed the medication have an obligation to answer any questions you have.
It's great you are seeing a psychologist too.

Yeah, you can probably tell from my posting that I’m struggling a touch,

I have been dealing with anxiety and depression for a while and in the past 12 months been diagnosed with ADHD, had my tonsils out and now have Ross River Virus.

Plus one of the kids has been diagnosed with Autism and I’m finding it tough.

Sorry if I’m bumming you all out

I have been dealing with anxiety and depression for a while and in the past 12 months been diagnosed with ADHD, had my tonsils out and now have Ross River Virus.

Try and keep positive mate, a lot friends here to talk too if it helps.
Never be sorry for talking on here , it’s here for a purpose and good on you for sharing.

Try and keep positive mate, a lot friends here to talk too if it helps.
Never be sorry for talking on here , it’s here for a purpose and good on you for sharing.
I really appreciate it mate, thank you

Sorry to hear that mate. Always happy to chat.

Definitely no need for apologies Grille, like Kanga said that's why the thread is here and why we are here. You've clearly had alot thrown at you in a short time and that is never easy.

I posted on here at a total loss not long ago. I was at my absolute limit and felt totally helpless and that extra bit of support got me to seek help and keep positive even on my worst days.

I'm no expert and i wont pretend i know what to say but i can tell you this, after 20 years one single post on here helped me more than i thought it ever could. We got you Grille. DM if you ant anytime at all or ill give you my phone number and you can text or add me on facebook or whatever.
Sometimes as i found out an unfamiliar ear with a different view can do wonders.

You will get there even if it doesn't feel like it atm.

I wish you all the best and definitely post if you need to or message or whatever

And that goes for all you other legends that post here. My door so to speak is always open

Go Kangas

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feel bad for posting here as I reckon people around the traps are doing it far harder than me, but this weekend for some reason really hit me hard and struggling a bit.

Nothing major but just a collection of a few things adding up (wife getting diagnosed with MS last year/both wife and Dad going in and out of hospital last few years, both of them now immunocompromised/ new job with the same organisation but a lot of more unnecessary pressure)

Never felt so physically/emotionally/mentally drained in my life.

Was really looking going to the footy today as I haven't been to a game since round 22 2019, but been doing an excessive amount of overtime and running myself into the ground...so feeling crook and at the risk of stressing my wife further pulled the pin on going.

Kind a feel every aspect of my life, letting everyone down.

I've been to a psychologist before and they were good, so know what to do. Just last few days have felt like everything has been too overwhelming.

Although it’s hard, try not to feel bad about reaching out to anyone. I reckon that pretty much all of those people you think are doing harder would be glad you’ve spoken up, and could be a great resource in helping you get through what sounds like a bloody hard time.
Feel free to let me know if you ever need a chat, I’ve been through some similar things myself over the last few years und understand how overwhelming it can get.

Oh man, I feel that. I often struggle with how to manage that feeling of self loathing my ability to be good to those closest to me, and I struggle with how to manage my own expectations of myself. It’s ******* shithouse, hey!

I’m really sorry to hear about your family’s health problems and I really hope the universe grants you a break in the next few weeks. It sounds like it’s well overdue.

Although it’s hard, try not to feel bad about reaching out to anyone. I reckon that pretty much all of those people you think are doing harder would be glad you’ve spoken up, and could be a great resource in helping you get through what sounds like a bloody hard time.
Feel free to let me know if you ever need a chat, I’ve been through some similar things myself over the last few years und understand how overwhelming it can get.
Oh man, I feel that. I often struggle with how to manage that feeling of self loathing my ability to be good to those closest to me, and I struggle with how to manage my own expectations of myself. It’s ******* shithouse, hey!

I’m really sorry to hear about your family’s health problems and I really hope the universe grants you a break in the next few weeks. It sounds like it’s well overdue.

Also hope your situations are on the up as well. Likewise always a PM a way.

Smoke weed every day… you won’t have any more problems with sleep or nightmares.

In fact, you’ll never dream again.
So now I’ll have to sneak out more often🤪

Smoke weed every day… you won’t have any more problems with sleep or nightmares.

In fact, you’ll never dream again.
Don’t know if this is you being flippant or serious, but it’s not helpful at all.
One of the most serious issues around mental health is that people leave things too long because we take approaches that are ‘just try this’ before looking for support.
Smoke weed if you want, I’m certainly no stranger to it, but don’t let that delay you from exploring other paths such as counseling or psychologists.

Feel bad for posting here as I reckon people around the traps are doing it far harder than me, but this weekend for some reason really hit me hard and struggling a bit.

Nothing major but just a collection of a few things adding up (wife getting diagnosed with MS last year/both wife and Dad going in and out of hospital last few years, both of them now immunocompromised/ new job with the same organisation but a lot of more unnecessary pressure)

Never felt so physically/emotionally/mentally drained in my life.

Was really looking going to the footy today as I haven't been to a game since round 22 2019, but been doing an excessive amount of overtime and running myself into the ground...so feeling crook and at the risk of stressing my wife further pulled the pin on going.

I've been to a psychologist before and they were good, so know what to do. Just last few days have felt like everything has been too overwhelming.

Easy for me to say, but try to make a little time for your self. An arvo at the footy might just the thing.

So now I’ll have to sneak out more often🤪
Don’t know if this is you being flippant or serious, but it’s not helpful at all.
One of the most serious issues around mental health is that people leave things too long because we take approaches that are ‘just try this’ before looking for support.
Smoke weed if you want, I’m certainly no stranger to it, but don’t let that delay you from exploring other paths such as counseling or psychologists.
I’m not ever going to be able to solve mental health issues, I’m always the same never happy nor sad - but in my experience, whether you think you are or you aren’t, you are right when it comes to mental health issues.

But before wasting your money on shrinks etc, my advice: go for a run, play your sports, lay off the alcohol and junk food and attend football games.

If you are still not feeling good, then seek help. But don’t expect help is going to save you if you are fat, don’t exercise, drink 6 cans a day and don’t have any interests outside of video games.

I’m not ever going to be able to solve mental health issues, I’m always the same never happy nor sad - but in my experience, whether you think you are or you aren’t, you are right when it comes to mental health issues.

But before wasting your money on shrinks etc, my advice: go for a run, play your sports, lay off the alcohol and junk food and attend football games.

If you are still not feeling good, then seek help. But don’t expect help is going to save you if you are fat, don’t exercise, drink 6 cans a day and don’t have any interests outside of video games.
Then, respectfully, stay away from suggestions to others. It is much more complicated than your somewhat ignorant response.

Then, respectfully, stay away from suggestions to others. It is much more complicated than your somewhat ignorant response.
Here we go.

My response is the best advice anyone has received in here.

Exercise. Eat well and don’t waste your money on parasites whose sole objective is to convince you something is wrong with you so you keep coming back and paying them money.

And I can’t help miseries, but I can help sleep issues which was my entire post.

Again if you’re looking for sympathy, you’re not gonna find it here. But I do hate not sleeping, and I did suffer from nightmares as a child and I found a solve, like most things it’s each to their own, but if you are spending $400 a week on shrink and not combining it with a bettter diet, more exercise, less gambling, less alcohol, less hanging out with miserable partners, then you likely won’t find a solution.

If you think that’s poor, then ignore me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back