Roast Dermott Brereton: "Wayne Carey is a better analyst than Daisy Pearce"

Remove this Banner Ad

ryan-reynolds-but-why.gif

I doubt Daisy is sitting at home thinking "gee I hope some no name on the internet stands up for me!"

You live with your parents or you watch Star Wars regularly. Your name, profile photo and use of those dork 'memes' make it all too obvious.

Yeah, it probably isn't. You're probably right. I only started this thread to see what kind of discourse it would generate. Gave me a few laughs. I couldn't care less about Daisy Pearce

Why not?

FWIW I find Daisy's commentary rather insightful and easy to understand to a person who has less knowledge of the game like me (than Daisy).

Seems your rage is about women in the industry and their merit and Hunts rather blunt comments rather than a footy discussion about whether or not Pearce is a better commentator than wane.

Why not?

FWIW I find Daisy's commentary rather insightful and easy to understand to a person who has less knowledge of the game like me.

Seems your rage is about women in the industry and their merit and Hunts rather blunt comments rather than a footy discussion about whether or not Pearce is a better commentator than wane.
Why would you say that?

I’m unsurprised to hear a syphilitic old lunatic like Hunt say something like this. Bloke has been irrelevant for 25 years, but feels he needs to do something stupid every 3-4 years to let folks know he’s not dead yet.

What I don’t understand is why Derm decided to comment on it.

On Daisy, she’s fine, don’t mind her commentary, not my favourite, certainly not the worst.

My wife is from overseas and likes Daisy's comments to help her understand the game. She knows very little about AFL so she get a lot out of Daisy's analysis

I’m unsurprised to hear a syphilitic old lunatic like Hunt say something like this. Bloke has been irrelevant for 25 years, but feels he needs to do something stupid every 3-4 years to let folks know he’s not dead yet.

What I don’t understand is why Derm decided to comment on it.

On Daisy, she’s fine, don’t mind her commentary, not my favourite, certainly not the worst.
Between the call girls, the road rage bashing and the general Old Man Yells at Cloud nature of the rant, honestly it’s beyond me why it was given air in the first place

Between the call girls, the road rage bashing and the general Old Man Yells at Cloud nature of the rant, honestly it’s beyond me why it was given air in the first place
Because the AFL and the AFL media are obsessed with giving irrelevant old hacks like Hunt a platform

I don’t think Daisy is brilliant but she is certainly not the worst. Most of the footy media are dominated by bonehead ex footballers who's ignorance about how the game is played in 2022 makes their analysis all but useless. Listen to King, Brown, Taylor, Ling and Sellars (Why is he still involved) for more than 10 minutes and see how they continually backflip on views, observations and lack the ability to engage an audience. Sadly Nathan Jones is in this bracket as well.

Daisy does a great job and understanding the game, yes her voice can be a bit drowning at times but at least she can communicate information to an audience. It's possible there are some who do understand the game but it means nothing if you are unable to communicate information in a way the audience can understand. If you retrospectively applied a merit lens to the footy media, 90% would be unemployed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last edited:
“So whilst I’m not, because I’ve done this for 20 years, either through trying to play footy or now working in the media, having your credibility question because you’re female isn’t a new thing that I’m just starting to deal with. I’m pretty thick-skinned when it comes to that.”

That's what Daisy Pearce said which shows that she doesn't get it at all.

It has nothing to do with being a woman. It's up to Channel 7 to decide what voice they want on their commentary team, which is fine its up to them. The issue with Daisy Pearce is that she takes the position of Expert Analyst and Special Comments.

Now I have about the same amount of expertise as Daisy to be able to do that role and I'm never going to get anywhere near the commentary box and if it was me it would be much more entertaining (not in good way).

And this is what people need to get past its not because she's a woman its because she doesn't have the expertise.

To extend this I think there are a few ex-player commentators who don't have the eloquence to be play by play commentators either.

I don't like Hodge or Burgoyne as boundary riders (and I couldn't stand Ling)

I also don't like Daisy Pearce as a boundary rider either. Does that make me sexist?
Yes, of course it does. You're clearly a raging sexist. Maybe even a racist too for suggesting Burgoyne is no good either.

Hodgey and Lingy are fair game though

I agree that Wayne Carey provides more insight and better analysis in his commentary than Daisy Pearce. However, I absolutely cannot stand the way his fellow commentators idolise and worship him at times on the coverage. Now I know that he will go down as one of, if not the greatest footballers of all time, however he has far too many serious off field indiscretions. It really just highlights the fact that it seemingly doesn’t matter what terrible things you do if you’re a good athlete. Like it or not, giving someone a position of expert comments holds them up as someone to be admired and respected and Carey simply is not that.

I personally happen to like Pearce’s commentary, but I understand it’s subjective and it’s fair enough that people don’t like her. However, people do need to realise that having more women on commentary, in coaches boxes etc is a good thing for the game and will help to engage viewers who may not otherwise switch on and is a good thing for the game. The adage of “you can’t be what you can’t see” is correct, young girls are more likely to tune into an AFL game and become invested if they see someone like Daisy Pearce alongside all the other ex players.

These are two massive factors here that mean it is 100% about more than just their ability to provide special comments on a game of football.

I agree that Wayne Carey provides more insight and better analysis in his commentary than Daisy Pearce. However, I absolutely cannot stand the way his fellow commentators idolise and worship him at times on the coverage. Now I know that he will go down as one of, if not the greatest footballers of all time, however he has far too many serious off field indiscretions. It really just highlights the fact that it seemingly doesn’t matter what terrible things you do if you’re a good athlete. Like it or not, giving someone a position of expert comments holds them up as someone to be admired and respected and Carey simply is not that.

I personally happen to like Pearce’s commentary, but I understand it’s subjective and it’s fair enough that people don’t like her. However, people do need to realise that having more women on commentary, in coaches boxes etc is a good thing for the game and will help to engage viewers who may not otherwise switch on and is a good thing for the game. The adage of “you can’t be what you can’t see” is correct, young girls are more likely to tune into an AFL game and become invested if they see someone like Daisy Pearce alongside all the other ex players.

These are two massive factors here that mean it is 100% about more than just their ability to provide special comments on a game of football.

Maybe in some sports but the AFL has always been popular with women however seeing Daisy playing footy would encourage women to take up the sport more than her role in the media since there has been women around the footy media for a long time, with Caroline Wilson starting in the early 80s and women have been active members of many footy clubs and were playing up to under 13's for a long time.

Anyone want to comment on the fact that Hunt took aim at Pearce, but no other commentators? All the others are doing great, Richo, Jobe, BT etc. all good.

I still don’t understand what Derm hoped to achieve commenting on it. He could’ve said he likes Carey’s comments without involving Daisy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back