Did We Write Off Hawthorn Too Soon?

Remove this Banner Ad

I tell you what, with a top 6 draw, and the oldest list in the comp, the hawks better get some free agents through the door this year or 2019 may well be a long long season
You dont actually buy into this draw nonsense?

We will be around 5-8 again next year and be another year through turning the list over.
Sewell; Lake & Hale; Mitchell & Lewis; Hodge & Gibson; Rioli;

Mate you said that the guy above hasn't let the rising star go, yet you are the one continually bringing it up. I expect Burton to bounce back strongly next year, his second half of the year was solid despite not being at the level we would have hoped from him for the bulk of the year.

I miss Jade and Lance, they are much better that this than you are.
I've brought it up once, because a guy with the signature "Ryan Burton 2017 Rising Star Winner" was talking about Essendon fans not being able to move on.

I tell you what, with a top 6 draw, and the oldest list in the comp, the hawks better get some free agents through the door this year or 2019 may well be a long long season
The Hawks had a great opportunity to get the age average down by letting go Roughy and Bahgoyne but refused to acknowledge that both of those warriors are facing an ignominious curtain call in 2019.

Yes surprised by this call

Both were invisible in the finals. Not sure what they provide in 2019

Burgoyne + Roughy needs to play 10-15 games + finals next year. Think they can impact in a lot of those games but a full season is a bridge too far.

Burgoyne's first half of the season was as good as he's ever been minus the injury against the Cats. If we can manage him then hopefully he wont be out of gas at the end.

Burgoyne + Roughy needs to play 10-15 games + finals next year. Think they can impact in a lot of those games but a full season is a bridge too far.

Burgoyne's first half of the season was as good as he's ever been minus the injury against the Cats. If we can manage him then hopefully he wont be out of gas at the end.
Burgers
He has played with broken ribs since round 23
He just said on Marngrook
Explains his finals performance

Burgers
He has played with broken ribs since round 23
He just said on Marngrook
Explains his finals performance

Then a player as experienced as he is should have known not to play.

If either he or Roughead is going to add any value at all next year, knowing when they can and cannot add that value is going to play a major part.

Selwood learned a valuable lesson I would think last year against richmond when he came back too early and played below par - and his performance was probably better than either of burgoyne's.

Nothing wrong with trying to battle through a bit of adversity but at his age you should be smarter

If either he or Roughead is going to add any value at all next year, knowing when they can and cannot add that value is going to play a major part.

Selwood learned a valuable lesson I would think last year against richmond when he came back too early and played below par - and his performance was probably better than either of burgoyne's.

Nothing wrong with trying to battle through a bit of adversity but at his age you should be smarter

Not surprising you judge the same situation involving two players in favour of the Geelong one. Selwood is a captain why dint he ‘know better’?

Not surprising you judge the same situation involving two players in favour of the Geelong one. Selwood is a captain why dint he ‘know better’?

Because he didn't have broken bones for starters.

I just explained that he should have known better though, so what your point is, is anyone's f***en guess. You know the bit where I said 'he learned a valuable lesson'?

Well the intonation of that comment is that Selwood should have known better.

F*** off with the bias s**t. I criticised both players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given our depth isn't great at the moment (although with Box Hill in the VFL Grand Final maybe we're starting to develop it again), Burgoyne was a required player. It was definitely a risk to bring him in - it ended up being a risk that didn't pay off. Point is teams have to take risks in order to be competitive. Great effort to play effectively a month with broken ribs - in some ways, I'm more upbeat about him going forward as it is a contact injury rather than another wear and tear, old man, injury.

Given our depth isn't great at the moment (although with Box Hill in the VFL Grand Final maybe we're starting to develop it again), Burgoyne was a required player. It was definitely a risk to bring him in - it ended up being a risk that didn't pay off. Point is teams have to take risks in order to be competitive. Great effort to play effectively a month with broken ribs - in some ways, I'm more upbeat about him going forward as it is a contact injury rather than another wear and tear, old man, injury.
No question about effort or determination but an average player at full fitness, unless we are talking about a player you can camp in a pocket to kick goals or something, would surely have to be a better option than a great player at low fitness.

The cliff is coming. Similar to Geelong, are trying to hold onto some semblance of a premiership window but the list management techniques they used very well in the compromised draft years won't work now. Will only delay the inevitable. Better off doing a mini-rebuild like Collingwood.
Theres plenty of young talent on the list
and
Did you watch Box Hill last Sunday?
Sure there are a few gaps that can get filled at the trade table,but theres lots of green shoots on the list that will fill others

The cliff is coming. Similar to Geelong, are trying to hold onto some semblance of a premiership window but the list management techniques they used very well in the compromised draft years won't work now. Will only delay the inevitable. Better off doing a mini-rebuild like Collingwood.

We will change it up. We are only 2 years into the rebuild, and hopefully we have learned form the other cautionary tales around us.

The Doggies look stacked with talent. You probably underperformed a bit this year, but you have some elite young talent.... English, Noughton, Richards.... And Lynch could be anything.

So the Cats will delist Taylor? Cause he is going like a busted arse

Hang on, now you're defending him?!?!

Not really - just pointing out that there are lots of things at play.

Hawks are rebuilding and in the early stages. So far it is going very very well. Two key mids are in place. Lots of kids are emerging. But there is a lot of work still to do and losing all your leadership does not end well - See Melbourne a decade ago.

Rough and Burgoyne are the only leaders left from the 3-peat - maybe Shiels as well. And I don't think the next generation are ready to take full handover yet. So Rough and Burgoyne stay.

So the Cats will delist Taylor? Cause he is going like a busted arse

For starters, I didn't say anywhere that Hawthorn should delist Burgoyne or Roughead. So in theory you don't even know what you're replying to.

Secondly, I wouldn't really have a problem with it. He played a couple of decent games this year - ironically the elimination final was one of them - so he adds a bit of key position depth but I don't subscribe to the theory that having a great career exempts you from tough decisions. Hence i supported cutting Chapman, Kelly, Stokes etc.

Does a top 6 draw involve playing more games than everyone else?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back