Division 1 2018 Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is ironic that this year is the one that strongly promotes to leave it as is. Despite there being a clear current top 5.

We have a horrible spat of injuries at all levels, struggled to get numbers for 2 & 19s, while the opposition are able to being in 5 VFL players due to byes.
Player points perhaps are evening it up but there is an obvious 'elephant in the room'. I would argue that a particular club, is likely to be a force forever if things are left to continue as they are. At some point poaching juniors from within the League needs to be addressed.

Not too often you kick 1.10 in the final quarter to lose by 7 points. Probably says it all.

Really? give us some examples of the poaching (put up or shut up) and what rule would you like to bring in.

Really? give us some examples of the poaching (put up or shut up) and what rule would you like to bring in.

Have an example of it this year, with a friends son.
Not going to give names but those that believe it is not happening are either unaware or in denial.

That rule - now that's the $64,000 question, not sure there can be such a rule.
While AFL Vic and Leagues are doing a great job of senior equalisation, this is the one area that remains unaddressed. In fact senior clubs become the beneficiary of such behaviour.

Hopefully parents such as my friend provide a similar response that he provided. That might slow it up somewhat, although I doubt it.

It was 4 vfl players. Doncaster really should have won the game. Hard contest that's for sure. Doncaster don't have much wiggle room with the points. They used up every available point yesterday

Points same every week. Don't have a glut of 1 point players or a substantial flow of talented juniors that others have.
Injuries to some long term 1 pointers also hurts.

Problem is TAC clubs expecting prospective TAC players play premier U17's or with 1 of the top U19's clubs where they will be playing at a higher level of junior footy.If they perform well there perhaps boosts their chances of playing with the Ranges or Chargers.

Last edited:
That is a fairly amateur response.

Take a Montrose for Example, Are never going to challenge for a flag this season,
Knowing that Bayswater were always going to struggle, Probably recruited with the intention to be somewhat competitive and stay in First Div, Now they may be in a Sh*t fight to stay up,

Im sure their new coach has plenty of contacts. A few extra recruits may be handy, But who knows what the powers to be are thinking.

I understand you are living on the other side of the country and most likely to be out of Sync on what is happening, But good on you for trying

Could be living in Bangladesh but it matters not. If a club decides at the start of the year that they arent going to be much chop, but not the worst so wont be heading down, then please provide me with their crystal ball. Its a game that has injuries, imagine if the Montrose FC ended up with a truck load and the coach states as they proceed into Div 2 - "gee i wished I recruited a bit harder"..

Last edited:
We recruited very young for 2017, numerous guys that have just come from 19s footy to complement our own strong 19s from 2016. Short term loss for long term gain. If we were aware that the new strategy was coming into 2017, the strategy would have been modified to ensure survival & we were not at the bottom end of the ladder in 2016.

Just an example as to where BJS was heading.

I know where he is coming from - but its a fools economy because you are basing your recruiting on so many assumptions - injuries, form, what other clubs are doing/not doing with their list. If you happen to get demoted because you predicted wrong well you cant blame the league for that.

It is ironic that this year is the one that strongly promotes to leave it as is. Despite there being a clear current top 5.

We have a horrible spat of injuries at all levels, struggled to get numbers for 2 & 19s, while the opposition are able to being in 5 VFL players due to byes.
Player points perhaps are evening it up but there is an obvious 'elephant in the room'. I would argue that a particular club, is likely to be a force forever if things are left to continue as they are. At some point poaching juniors from within the League needs to be addressed.

Not too often you kick 1.10 in the final quarter to lose by 7 points. Probably says it all.

Easiest thing to control is junior footy and "recruiting". Just dont allow a clearance if you sit in EFL headquarters without a damn good reason. In Adelaide they apparently play in postcodes until U18 - not a bad idea.

Could be living in Bangladesh but it matters not. If a club decides at the start of the year that they arent going to be much chop, but not the worst so wont be heading down, then please provide me with their crystal ball. Its a game that has injuries, imagine if the Montrose FC ended up with a truck load and the coach states as they proceed into Div 2 - "gee i wished I recruited a bit harder"..

Same as in business, Most are tightening the belt so to speak, Spending within their means.
So you think its good that the EFL are still yet to make a decision on next season? 20th June?
Of course you do..... You are always correct

Thought you recruited young for 2017.. ;)

Not all of us can afford to bring in ex-AFL Players to kick bags of goals. ;)

Recruited young - 19/20 year old guys that come to our club as 3 or 4 points each. Just the same/similar value if you go & get seasoned senior local footy bodies in there mid to late 20s.

Problem is TAC clubs expecting prospective TAC players play premier U17's or with 1 of the top U19's clubs where they will be playing at a higher level of junior footy. If they perform well there perhaps boosts their chances of playing with the Ranges or Chargers.

Interesting point GMAC & could well be part of the 'enticement'. The main counter that I have is that it is occurring at a younger age bracket than those you are mentioning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps the points system should be looked at Bob if that is true.

Currently a junior that has come from another club that has played 40 or more games at the aligned junior club up to and including U17 competition or younger is a 1 point player.

Not all of us can afford to bring in ex-AFL Players to kick bags of goals. ;)

Recruited young - 19/20 year old guys that come to our club as 3 or 4 points each. Just the same/similar value if you go & get seasoned senior local footy bodies in there mid to late 20s.

Said afl player is on a fraction of what you efl buffoons would have to pay someone of his ilk..:D

Might see if young Hipwood is keen to come back next year - now there is a kid that can play mate.

Last edited:
Same as in business, Most are tightening the belt so to speak, Spending within their means.
So you think its good that the EFL are still yet to make a decision on next season? 20th June?
Of course you do..... You are always correct

Not sure it really matters to the footy department. The coach and players would be looking to win every week no matter what the lie of the land looks like in 2018.

Each year from U12s to U16s there was an offer made by an opposition club to pay our ruckman's school fees if he transferred.
Also a number of key players in said club's U16 flag who transferred from other clubs and would have driven past another half dozen to get to training which raises questions.

Each year from U12s to U16s there was an offer made by an opposition club to pay our ruckman's school fees if he transferred.
Also a number of key players in said club's U16 flag who transferred from other clubs and would have driven past another half dozen to get to training which raises questions.

he said she said, most of these stories are bullshit, people make stories up to suit there own situation. unless you give specifics i just laugh at these stories.

he said she said, most of these stories are bullshit, people make stories up to suit there own situation. unless you give specifics i just laugh at these stories.

Fine; Vermont FC 2001-2004 offered to pay for a Mooroolbark junior player's tuition at Mount Lilydale Mercy College on the premise that he transferred to them.
Happy?

Fine; Vermont FC 2001-2004 offered to pay for a Mooroolbark junior player's tuition at Mount Lilydale Mercy College on the premise that he transferred to them.
Happy?

15 Years ago.....Gee you dont hold onto things much! i mean really? is that the best you can come up with....Remove the chip on your shoulder.

15 Years ago.....Gee you dont hold onto things much! i mean really? is that the best you can come up with....Remove the chip on your shoulder.

What chip?
You stated it doesn't happen; I've provided an example that demonstrates that it did in a time period that would directly influence the current make up of the senior side.
What more do you want?

From what some of you guys are saying perhaps the rule should be "Currently a junior that has come from another club that has played say 90 or more games (currently 40) at the aligned junior club up to and including U17 competition or younger is a 1 point player.If the player has played less then 50 junior games at his previous junior club this rule does not apply"

BUT currently in the Riddell FL there are a couple of clubs that last week end were unhappy with the current rule where they wanted to play a couple of their current 18.5 players in the seniors who had been with them since U16 days and had not played the 40 games with their junior club and if they played them in the seniors they would be 3 or 4 point players.

Is a difficult one and I understand where every one is coming from.

From what some of you guys are saying perhaps the rule should be "Currently a junior that has come from another club that has played say 90 or more games (currently 40) at the aligned junior club up to and including U17 competition or younger is a 1 point player.If the player has played less then 50 junior games at his previous junior club this rule does not apply"

BUT currently in the Riddell FL there are a couple of clubs that last week end were unhappy with the current rule where they wanted to play a couple of their current 18.5 players in the seniors who had been with them since U16 days and had not played the 40 games with their junior club and if they played them in the seniors they would be 3 or 4 point players.

Is a difficult one and I understand where every one is coming from.

IMO years registered at the club (or even % of years played registered at one club as this would allow for kids that don't start playing til 16s or 18s) would be better than set games. Factors in games missed through injury, holidays, not playing finals, byes, sitting out years etc.
From 99-08 I was only played for one club but I'm not even sure I would have racked up 100 games in that period.
Not sure whether it the slight change would have influenced the above scenario though

My example is 2017.

Love the old 1-2 punch, that we knew would come:
1) Doesn't happen (that's crap). You wouldn't stand in front of a firing squad if your life depended on it & give the same answer.
2) We aren't the only ones. So that makes it right???

Not sure that 100 games is achievable for many GMAC, and I don't really have an answer.

It does affect the flow onto senior clubs more than ever with the point system in place, and therefore if we are looking to genuinely equalize the competition it is the one clear area that has not been addressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back