Division 2 thread 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

“(We) understand this isn’t the only answer to our on-field performances thus far, however, we are excited to see an energised playing list begin their journey under a new coach, and are looking forward to the challenge of facing Lilydale this Saturday.”

On field performances? They get a month in having played three finalists from last year plus relegated Croydon and they’re sacking the coach?

Add a couple of Dad’s Army to a 5 win team from last year, what… did they think they were gonna be 4-0?

Seems delusional

I hate local clubs doing those cringey statements when they knife a coach.

I'm not sure who's blowing themselves up more at the moment, The Basin or Wantirna South. Both those clubs should be purring along right now, great junior programs, a heap of under 19s and large supporter bases but clear problems with their senior men's set up and recruitment.

“(We) understand this isn’t the only answer to our on-field performances thus far, however, we are excited to see an energised playing list begin their journey under a new coach, and are looking forward to the challenge of facing Lilydale this Saturday.”

On field performances? They get a month in having played three finalists from last year plus relegated Croydon and they’re sacking the coach?

Add a couple of Dad’s Army to a 5 win team from last year, what… did they think they were gonna be 4-0?

Seems delusional

Couldn’t of wrote it better myself

Dont rate Sacking a coach after 4 games. He got to that club after an exodus of players and did well last season with the Young List he had. They recruited Dads army which hasnt worked aswell. From the outside it looks like hes the scapegoat.
I hope Wadey gets another crack at it, He's an absolute ripper fella and was an absolute Gun footballer. No doubt he'll probably go back to Donvale and help them win another Flag

Tip for this week: unfortunately Boronia by 39 points, would be happy if Croydon proved me wrong though!

The top 5 in this division looks to be set for this season, even after only 5 games.

Tip for this week: unfortunately Boronia by 39 points, would be happy if Croydon proved me wrong though!

The top 5 in this division looks to be set for this season, even after only 5 games.

Think it’ll be a lot clearer once everybody has played everyone (ie once everybody has played Boronia!)

Croydon look strong, Boronia look like they should be a grade or two above.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Begley will be the difference, he's in his own world in Div2.
He is a good player but not the difference. Boronia have recruited some quality players such as Jelo and Whelan along with continued investment in their locals. As I have mentioned before they would be right in the mix in division 1. Berwick and Beaconsfield have brought nothing to the ENFL and this has been to the detriment of a club like Boronia who have won premierships when there has been no promotion. The league should have been looking after their traditional clubs rather than empire building.

Football in the EFNL is a bit at the crossroads at the moment with many clubs struggling. Hopefully the league are recognising this and putting measures in place to address the issue. Many clubs do face an uncertain future.

He is a good player but not the difference. Boronia have recruited some quality players such as Jelo and Whelan along with continued investment in their locals. As I have mentioned before they would be right in the mix in division 1. Berwick and Beaconsfield have brought nothing to the ENFL and this has been to the detriment of a club like Boronia who have won premierships when there has been no promotion. The league should have been looking after their traditional clubs rather than empire building.

Football in the EFNL is a bit at the crossroads at the moment with many clubs struggling. Hopefully the league are recognising this and putting measures in place to address the issue. Many clubs do face an uncertain future.
a bit harsh? Beaconsfield are an excellent club and their juniors coming across has made the junior competition far stronger.

Last edited:
a bit harsh? Beaconsfield are an excellent club and there juniors coming across has made the junior competition far stronger.
I don’t disagree Beaconsfield aren’t a good club but they are hardly in the Eastern FNL heartland/ catchment. Should be in a competition more relevant to their area such as Gippsland or the Southern Leagues. They have no connection with any of the existing EFNL clubs and that is the same for Berwick.

Was a poor decision to let both clubs in as the impacts on existing clubs have been generally negative.

The adjustment to the Divisions has been a complete cluster fck but the league will never admit they got it wrong. The teams they have brought in to make the Divisions look better have made the term "Eastern" a joke. Those clubs have wanted into the EFNL because the leagues where they were in are worse. There have always been clubs struggling, but many clubs are currently struggling due to cost increases across the board and many have been very creative about how players receive their remuneration. I will add that foot soldiers (volunteers) are the lifeblood of many clubs and their numbers are dwindling. Some believe that all the people who work at local football get paid.

Last edited:
I’ve said elsewhere but the problem is these outer south eastern clubs, they keep stuffing all around them. They keep trying to get into the MPFNL, who don’t want them… they merged with the YVMDFL which has been a complete disaster… Cranbourne have joined the SFNL but immediately were looking to get out of it… Berwick and Beaconsfield are in the EFNL which is a joke.

All this crap will not stop until there is leadership shown by AFL Vic in taking control of AFL South East and creating a proper south-east metro league and MPFNL, with appropriate borders from the SFNL for all three leagues.

The existing AFLSE hierarchy have it so wrong and will not relent. For probably 10-15 years now they’ve been trying to create their super league across the entire region, from trying to merge their conferences (Casey Cardinia and Peninsula back in the day to still trying to bring Narre Warren and Cranbourne into the MPFNL as recently as last year. Their own clubs keep resisting it, it’s difficult to know how many times they need to be told.

It’s really not so much the clubs’ fault, they just have to make decisions based on what they think is best. There’s just no leadership.

South-East Football League (18 clubs, 2 divs)
Edi-Asp (MPFNL)
Chelsea (MPFNL)
Devon Meadows (MPFNL)
Bonbeach (MPFNL)
Cranbourne (SFNL)
Skye (SFNL)
Lyndhurst (SFNL)
Narre South (SFNL)
Hampton Park (SFNL)
Hallam (SFNL)
Carrum Patterson Lakes (SFNL)
Chelsea Heights (SFNL)
Narre Warren (OEFNL)
Berwick Springs (OEFNL)
Officer (OEFNL)
Pakenham (OEFNL)
Berwick (EFNL)
Beaconsfield (EFNL)

MPFNL (20 clubs, 2 divs)
Sorrento (MPFNL)
Rye (MPFNL)
Rosebud (MPFNL)
Dromana (MPFNL)
Red Hill (MPFNL)
Crib Point (MPFNL)
Hastings (MPFNL)
Tyabb (MPFNL)
Somerville (MPFNL)
Mt Eliza (MPFNL)
Mornington (MPFNL)
Frankston YCW (MPFNL)
Frankston Bombers (MPFNL)
Karingal (MPFNL)
Langwarrin (MPFNL)
Pearcedale (MPFNL)
Seaford (MPFNL)
Pines (MPFNL)
Frankston Dolphins (SFNL)
South Mornington (SFNL)

The adjustment to the Divisions has been a complete cluster fck but the league will never admit they got it wrong. The teams they have brought in to make the Divisions look better have made the term "Eastern" a joke. Those clubs have wanted into the EFNL because the leagues where they were in are worse. There have always been clubs struggling, but many clubs are currently struggling due to cost increases across the board and many have been very creative about how players receive their remuneration. I will add that foot soldiers (volunteers) are the lifeblood of many clubs and their numbers are dwindling. Some believe that all the people who work at local football get paid.

Don't forget that East Burwood also got promoted twice for no reason also. Your club has contributed to the adjustment to the divisions. And now you sit near the bottom of the ladder in a division you don't belong in. Just because of ego and history.

I'm not sure its at the crossroads but agree it feels like in the majority of divisions you can already rule out a larger than normal number of teams that cant play finals, even with the top 5 in most divisions now.

I don't think its ever been this bad in the Knox area. Boronia and Rowville are flying but every other team has either recently got relegated multiple times, is noncompetitive, or in a current relegation battle. The only other team that has won a flag in recent times in the area was Fairpark in 2019.

Wantirna Sth - Bottom of the ladder
FTG - Bottom of the ladder
The Basin - Bottom of the ladder
Fairpark - In a relegation battle
UFTG - Multiple relegations and still in a relegation battle this year
Knox - Multiple relegations
Scoresby - Multiple relegations
Bayswater - Hasn't played finals in years. Currently 3-2 but wont get anywhere near the top teams.

Don't forget that East Burwood also got promoted twice for no reason also. Your club has contributed to the adjustment to the divisions. And now you sit near the bottom of the ladder in a division you don't belong in. Just because of ego and history.
I do love the "no reason" and ego and history". Quality people love sinking the slipper in when you're down.

Well let me be clear when i say no reason, it isn't the usual reason ie - winning the flag. I guarantee if Fairpark had of lost that grand final there is no way they would have been promoted. It wasn't on the cards until you lost and it was a slap in the face to other div 4 teams.

Your club definitely had their own reason and they openly spoke about a club "with our history being too good for div 4 and we have too many good players we would lose if we stayed in div 4 and we also have a group of under 19s that are going to take us to the promised land." It was like you went 18-0 and lost the grand final as a shock. You lost 4 games that year.

When we lost that first final in 2019 Ive never seen such disrespect from an opposition than i did from East Burwood that day. And it wasn't just the school boys behinds the goals, it was grown men. We lost much worse to Fairpark the next week but they won with class and humility. Ive never barracked for an opposition team in my life as much as i barracked for Fairpark in that grand final.

I'm not sure its at the crossroads but agree it feels like in the majority of divisions you can already rule out a larger than normal number of teams that cant play finals, even with the top 5 in most divisions now.

I don't think its ever been this bad in the Knox area. Boronia and Rowville are flying but every other team has either recently got relegated multiple times, is noncompetitive, or in a current relegation battle. The only other team that has won a flag in recent times in the area was Fairpark in 2019.

Wantirna Sth - Bottom of the ladder
FTG - Bottom of the ladder
The Basin - Bottom of the ladder
Fairpark - In a relegation battle
UFTG - Multiple relegations and still in a relegation battle this year
Knox - Multiple relegations
Scoresby - Multiple relegations
Bayswater - Hasn't played finals in years. Currently 3-2 but wont get anywhere near the top teams.
Follow the money. You've got clubs with no dollars or income stream trying to keep up with clubs with dollars and an income stream or they have a nice benefactor or two. The ones with no dollars are trying to obtain the best talent on and off the field competing with those with dollars, it's not rocket science. We also have people (volunteers) in positions at Local Clubs who don't want to be there and are doing their best as there is no one else putting their hand up. I will add that the ones who aren't putting their hand up to do anything are sniping from the sidelines and bitching about their team's lack of performance.

Follow the money. You've got clubs with no dollars or income stream trying to keep up with clubs with dollars and an income stream or they have a nice benefactor or two. The ones with no dollars are trying to obtain the best talent on and off the field competing with those with dollars, it's not rocket science. We also have people (volunteers) in positions at Local Clubs who don't want to be there and are doing their best as there is no one else putting their hand up. I will add that the ones who aren't putting their hand up to do anything are sniping from the sidelines and bitching about their team's lack of performance.

100% the worst are the people that do nothing but complain.

It just feels like its a boom or bust economy now. Look at FTG from grand finalists to bottom of the ladder in 6 months. And it feels like once the fall starts from the top it doesn't really stop.

Follow the money. You've got clubs with no dollars or income stream trying to keep up with clubs with dollars and an income stream or they have a nice benefactor or two.
Maybe it will sort itself out quickly and clubs will land where they belong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back