Opinion Do Coaches Receive Too Much Blame When Their Team Struggles?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 25, 2021
Omnipresent
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears, Perth Scorchers
I think they do.

We have all read about the utter stupidity of Willie Rioli's actions, it got me thinking.

There are plenty of smart (I mean IQ wise) footballers, plenty of them are studying or working towards their future after football.

There are also a lot of stupid ones. We will never know the exact figures but we do know there are plenty around who would be useless to society if they couldn't kick a ball. All the off field issues that seem to happen weekly confirm this.

A coach has to deal with both types. They could have the best skills and game plan around, but if they are dealing with a bunch of meatheads how is he/she going to get through to them?

Failures are always on the coach, but if some players are too dumb to understand instructions how can a poor performance be blamed on the coach?

With all these trial camps testing the players physical ability, do any of the them get tested on whether they can follow basic on field instructions?

Same goes for all these "jobs for the boys" list managers etc. How pathetic are most of these posers.

I'm not saying every player needs to be a Rhodes Scholar, but when the "experts" point out stuff like "he didn't get back" or "he was lazy", how is that not the players fault if they have been instructed otherwise?

Yep, same goes with winning.

Yeah, I considered that. But when they are winning I don't think coaches get enough praise. Not many are crediting Goodwin for what Melbourne have done this year. Clarkson has won four premierships but his team is bottom four, credits in the bank else he would be gone. Buckley was a miracle kick away from winning a grand final only a couple of years ago. The Pies fans want his blood now.

I just think AFL coaches are damned either way. But of course there are the s**t ones who are obviously out of their depth.

Yeah, I considered that. But when they are winning I don't think coaches get enough praise. Not many are crediting Goodwin for what Melbourne have done this year. Clarkson has won four premierships but his team is bottom four, credits in the bank else he would be gone. Buckley was a miracle kick away from winning a grand final only a couple of years ago. The Pies fans want his blood now.

I just think AFL coaches are damned either way. But of course there are the sh*t ones who are obviously out of their depth.

Thing is the difference in how well Goodwin is coaching this year compared to 19-20 probably isn’t as different as the performances on field would indicate.

I just think AFL coaches are damned either way. But of course there are the sh*t ones who are obviously out of their depth.
Buckley is a great coach, same with Ross Lyon. A bounce or arsy shot shouldn’t determine a coaching career. Blood now however is the way of the world, ask Twitter or tinder. Goodwin will be judged on these minimal factors this finals series, harsh or fair?

If you draft and then select said idiots that makes you the idiot.

Buckley is a great coach, same with Ross Lyon. A bounce or arsy shot shouldn’t determine a coaching career. Blood now however is the way of the world, ask Twitter or tinder. Goodwin will be judged on these minimal factors this finals series, harsh or fair?

Yeah, both Buckley and Lyon could have just as easily have had premierships. "A premiership coach", how great does that sound? A bounce of a ball and a hell of a kick (both of which they had no control over) means they aren't.

Not their fault, but the public perception of them is completely different because of it.

Thing is the difference in how well Goodwin is coaching this year compared to 19-20 probably isn’t as different as the performances on field would indicate.

I'd argue it's less Goodwin and more this bloke

I think the luckiest guys in the AFL system are List Managers, they can screw up royally, drafting poor picks, overpaying players on their list, and the Coach is the one in the firing line when they can't get their s**t list to perform. We all know Adrian Dodoro has been the list manager at Essendon for over a decade of complete incompetence without being under pressure, but I'm sure there are equivalents at every underperforming club, they just tend to keep their heads down.

Ned Guy getting necked was shocking not that it happened, but that it didn't happen sooner after the fiasco of their cap and list management.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont think Ratten is getting enough credit for his recreation of the Hindenburgh he is doing down at Moorabbin.
Doing a great job.

I think coaches don't get enough blame.

Someone mentioned Willy Rioli above.

It's not the coach's fault he tried to smuggle weed through an airport, but it is the coach's fault if he keeps a convicted drug cheat and recreational drug user on the list after this latest episode. Sets all kind of bad message, shows zero accountability at the club, very low standards.

If West Coast want to help him out and pay for his rehab that's all good, but that'll be on the coach and management if Willy stays on the list.

It's not the coach's fault he tried to smuggle weed through an airport, but it is the coach's fault if he keeps a convicted drug cheat and recreational drug user on the list after this latest episode.
Drug cheat? Give it a rest mate.

There are plenty of recreational drug users in every team, get off your high horse.

Yeah, both Buckley and Lyon could have just as easily have had premierships. "A premiership coach", how great does that sound? A bounce of a ball and a hell of a kick (both of which they had no control over) means they aren't.

Not their fault, but the public perception of them is completely different because of it.

this. While I don’t rate Buckley as high as Lyon - Lyon has taken ordinary teams and built them into good units, Buckley took over an exceptional team and has done ok but trod water a lot as well - marks and shots on goal happen 40 times a game. One happened in the final minute of a grand final Buckley got his team to, and it was enoigh to stop him being a flag coach. That’s not his fault

Remove this Banner Ad

Back