Social Science Do you say 'g'day' to your neighbours?

Remove this Banner Ad

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
When I moved over to Mawbs, one thing I noticed was the heads-down mentality of everyone in the suburban street. You'd be walking home at 5pm or 10am Saturday and there were no 'hellos' from one person to another – the closest was big-noting women with puffy jackets and inbred dogs thinly competing a surgeon husband to a lawyer at Atherton Reserve – it was all heads down, anonymity.

When I came back between semesters, it was always a cool little quirk to walk down to the shops and have someone say 'hey mate' as they walked their dog.

The general exchange is: you don't want to be their friend, there's no stop and chat, it's just a person-to-person, humanist interchange as you both pass. 'Gidday.' 'Nice night hey.' That's it.

What strikes me as strange is people who do not return this.

I live in an area pretty much crawling with baby boomers amongst the students (increasingly priced out) and career hospo folk. Something I've noticed lately is how often people (aka boomers, people under 20) shirk the very idea of a hello. For example, this afternoon I was walking back from the shops and this old bastard was looking me up and down from metres away... as we got within three, he looked down and to the other side. Very intentional. When I was taking the recycling down, some woman was doing the same – so clearly a neighbour – and I said 'hey.' No response. 'Oh fantastic!' I said. No response. 'Pretty *in rude' I said loud enough for the old bat to hear.

Another example is being at my girlfriend's about six months ago. We were going to Taylor Swift and it must've been a Saturday. December. Beautiful. I reckon 30 degrees, sun's out, no sky, it's 9/11 loike up there. We leave to walk to Newmarket Station. In front are two women (40s, probably late 30s) with a couple of six year old girls. Now I love the vibe of a big concert... one person, whored out and whoring out to an industry, but still one person drawing in 55,000 to have a good time and forget the debt and bills and what Terry's done and what's due at work; the magnet of a good sized city all going to this one little space. The worry your seats'll suck, the angst and nerves of getting there too late, the tension and excitement. They're walking in front of us and I see their ticket. We all had a can in our hands but it's barely three trackie-dacked-decked meth heads. 'Ah Taylor Swift! You guys excited?' They looked at me like I asked them if they had a pet ferret I could *.

My favourite thing to do is to seize up an old boomer and say 'hey, how are you?' They generally won't reply, especially with headphones in. Saying hi again is a pretty good tactic. At this point they definitely won't reply, or if they do it's a nice little surprise and you give them the benefit of doubt – being a silly old deaf campaigner. Anyway at this point I pull out a 'I did actually say hi to you' and at this point they s**t, get apologetic and usually lie about how they said hello or something before. Good game to pay as some old campaigner with a cancer growing on his prostate clips his ugly introduced flowers.

So – do you say hi to your neighbours or people in your neighbourhood?

Do you tense up, worry, and scare if someone is about to do this?

Do you find it odd if people don't return a simple, easy 'hey' as a gesture?

Are people becoming increasingly ******* odd?

I guess it depends on proximity and eye contact. Mostly I'm too preoccupied or purposeful to take much notice of people on the street. In the workplace it is rude to ignore someone in a small hallway, but out in the open we'd have to be walking right past each other with no one else around, like out on a nature walk or on the beach or something. A situation which calls for recognition. Might smile or say hello to certain people. Mostly we just like to be left alone to our errands, thoughts or exercise. Anonymity unless the situation calls for recognition. You have to be fairly idle to just be looking around for faces.

I think some "friendly" perennial-chatter types just give off bad vibes, whether they mean to or not. Like they are going to detain you or something with 'small' talk. Going out of your way to say hello can come off as creepy. Sarcasm or personal comments when a random doesn't immediately reply back is an unnecessary, off-putting campaigner behaviour. Everyone is different, having different days. Whether people want to say hello or not makes no difference to me really. For females especially in summer, sometimes you just have one of those days when you simply feel like getting from A to B without getting pestered several times enroute by a seasonal increase of male attentions.

Maybe SA should get himself a dog, that should help get some hellos going.

Last edited:
I always chuck them a "gidday" or, if I'm trying to assert myself as the alpha of the neighbourhood, I'll give them a "g'day shagger".

I think some "friendly" perennial-chatter types just give off bad vibes, whether they mean to or not. Like they are going to detain you or something with 'small' talk. Going out of your way to say hello can come off as creepy. Sarcasm or personal comments when a random doesn't immediately reply back is an unnecessary, off-putting campaigner behaviour. Everyone is different, having different days. Whether people want to say hello or not makes no difference to me really. For females especially in summer, sometimes you just have one of those days when you simply feel like getting from A to B without getting pestered several times enroute by a seasonal increase of male attentions.

Maybe SA should get himself a dog, that should help get some hellos going.
I don't want to be their friend...

Most of these people I've never seen before.

I don't think it's the fact they want to say hello or not, but if someone doesn't reply it's very very odd.

'Pestered?' No one is asking you to sign up to a newsletter or believe in a god or whatever.

I'm pretty sure a male saying hello – happy, casual, well kept, ya know... bright lights and suburban street does not mean I'm a pest. I won't even say hi to girls my age because I don't want to be a creep.

I think you're a rude piece of s**t to not say hi to someone who does. But then again you have increasingly become a very strange person with contradictory perspectives.

Ah well. Guess I'm the weird campaigner.

From what i gather i live next to 3 Korean dudes who in Lieu of a loungeroom have some sort of communal gamer room where they all finish between 5pm-8pm from uni then play League of legends till 1am loudly

Tried saying Hi a couple of times but thats it

neighbours on the other side are Nice. Single mother of 2. Kid wants to play with my dogs. Brought over one of them a couple of times (The male would likely eat the kid) and showed him how to change a Tyre when I had a flat so i needed to swap it with the spare and he wanted to know how you did that. made me feel manly

Most people on the street are friendly Enough. Just different people ect. I understand people who just dont want that community feel, I also know how ******* annoying it is having a neighbour Yam on for 10 minutes when your anti social and just want to get inside

Last edited:
Must admit, it is a pretty nasty feeling when you look to say hi/smile at a neighbor or work colleague (outside of work hours) and they either turn their heads away pretending to not notice you, or leave you burning and hanging. Makes you feel like you're hated, a figure of ridicule, or, used for something when at other times they DO come up and say hi when they want something from you, but then proceed to ignore you until they need something again.

I hate people as much as I love them.

As they say....it doesn't hurt to give a smile. Even if they burn you, the attitude is fck them, their loss, them being all grumpy and self-important, them being ugly inside.

Especially this last decade or so tho, with smart-phones, the art of conversation and social interaction among strangers has almost been killed off. People look at you like you're an axe-wielding rapist/murderer if you make eye contact, say hi, or make some small talk on a train, bus, or in a shopping mall.

But then again, when I'm giving off a happy-go-lucky peaceful aura, i do NOT have any trouble with strangers, they eat out of my hands, often initiating the hi, the small talk, the smile. I guess those other times, when I'm dark inside, people grab their children/husbands/wives and run at the first sight of me. It's either that extreme or the other where they all want to take me home and make me their teddy bear.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know my neighbour on one side so always say hello. Same with the previous neighbour on the other side. They moved and we're still in contact. New neighbour I've never seen. Car goes in and out sometimes, never seen anyone outside the house. Not going to to over and knock on the door just to say hello.

Say hello and chat to the middle aged woggy neighbors on one side, he and I are both vintage vehicle enthusiasts. Don't really talk to the other neighbours, younger bogan family. He likes more modern cars. I did call out to them recently though when I seen a seedy looking homeless guy in their front yard looking through their stuff. I talk to their mum though who owns the home and used to live there before moving in with her new fella and letting them live there.

My partners family live on the same block so talk to them. My brother lives around the corner so talk to him. A mate lives up the road so talk to him. A mate from footy lives across the lane way behind us so talk to him. Our neighbours mum lives a few houses down so talk to her. Another bloke down the street keeps trying to sell me his HJ ute so he talks to me. The people across the road were kind enough to tell me when our veranda light was on fire so they spoke to us that one time.

There are certain places and times though where it is ill advised to make eye contact and conversation with people on the street.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Live in an apartment building but know most people on our floor - at the very least to say hello, how are you etc if we are at the lift at the same time.

If we're out walking, my wife and I will make eye contact and generally smile and say hello. Most people are polite enough to do it back. Some I smile at and I get donuts.

I think you're a rude piece of **** to not say hi to someone who does. But then again you have increasingly become a very strange person with contradictory perspectives.
Oh, I certainly acknowledge everyone who says hello. But that's just me. I'm not fussed whether others do. I certainly wouldn't think that (or blurt out) they are a "rude piece of ****". That negates the very gesture of civility.

Bizarre outburst. I was just talking generally about certain types you come across, no need to take it personally. "increasingly become a very strange person with contradictory perspectives"? apologies if I come across as balanced in my opinions.

Last edited:
I know my neighbour on one side so always say hello. Same with the previous neighbour on the other side. They moved and we're still in contact. New neighbour I've never seen. Car goes in and out sometimes, never seen anyone outside the house. Not going to to over and knock on the door just to say hello.
you should. I would go over with two beers, say hi, im your neighbour, one day we may need eachother in an emergency and id hate to think we couldn't rely on eachother. want to have a beer with me right now on your front step? if not, enjoy a beer on me, and see you around

I don't want to go out of my way to meet a neighbour. That's weird. Churchy or crazy housewife touch to it.

I'm more just commenting on how queer people can be.

Yeah it's gotta be organic. I don't want some *en weirdo popping over with a fruit basket or whatever just to say hi.

Say hello when I'm out the front doing some gardening or getting the mail or whatever. Previous neighbour had a dog and a young kid so they were always out and about and the dog would come over for a pat, the kid would come over and speak gibberish that parents understand but non parents don't etc.

If I'm walking with my dog I will get heaps more love from strangers when saying "morning" or "evening" or whatever. If I am alone then you can cut that down by near 95% (mostly females who presume I rape).

If I'm out bush walking or walking on a beach in a place with a population under 20K then 99% of people will partake in some good old fashioned pleasantries and that s**t makes you feel damn good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back