Social Science Do you say 'g'day' to your neighbours?

Remove this Banner Ad

Was having beers with a bartender a few weeks ago.

Walked past a man walking his dog at 6.30am in the morning and said hello to him. The guy literally responded by saying 'Are you crazy!'

I know my two next door neighbours but that's it. Met one lot on the day we moved in. Met the other one a year later when we happened to cross paths for the first time. I always say hello and they always do the same

You wave at people you walk by on the footpath without saying a word? That is hilarious.
Hahahahahaha no
I meant neighbours

Walking past i'll try and make eye contact for a nod.

I know my neighbour on one side so always say hello. Same with the previous neighbour on the other side. They moved and we're still in contact. New neighbour I've never seen. Car goes in and out sometimes, never seen anyone outside the house. Not going to to over and knock on the door just to say hello.

New neighbour moved in about 2 months ago and we have barely said a word to each other as they were rarely home for the first month or so. Its now just awkward when we do see each other, just say gday and move on. Seems too late to go an introduce ourselves and seems they feel the same. Problem sit they sit out side on their balcony and we have to walk past. Just awkward haha

Then the neighbour on the other side we stop and have chats (an elderly lady who is always up for a chinwag) and give each other christmas presents etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No. Eyes down, headphones in mostly.

Next door neighbours are a bit different, we moved around a bit growing up and some of them were great but most of them kept to themselves and we did the same.

In high school caught the same bus on and off as the next door neighbours girl. In five years didnt speak a word to each other. But ended up meeting up a few years ago and now she is my wife.

Next door neighbours are a bit different, we moved around a bit growing up and some of them were great but most of them kept to themselves and we did the same.

In high school caught the same bus on and off as the next door neighbours girl. In five years didnt speak a word to each other. But ended up meeting up a few years ago and now she is my wife.

That seems like a real missed opportunity for teenage booty calls.

I had a hot girl in my age group across the road, we played together as kids but didn't really talk much as we got older.

Now she is my partners hairdresser and we talk a little again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i don't mind chatting to my neighbours but don't go out of my way. i've lived next to some real dregs, so have done plenty of avoiding in the past so i don't get asked to give them a lift so they can buy their drugs or something.
have a neigbour i'm avoiding - she's a fruit loop and an idiot. when they bought and moved in, overheard her asking a tradie 'what's this?' 'a clothes line'.
has regular arguments with her mum who she lives with, sometimes about her baby. has never spoken with me or my partner except for one time when she was shouting at my partner about getting us to do something we have no obligation to do as a neighbour (has an issue with us parking one of our cars outside our own place...). in the process of drafting a letter to pop in her mailbox which will give her the chance to ask us nicely (instead of the one time she's spoken to any of us we're shouted at) to move the car forward a few feet.

i don't mind chatting to my neighbours but don't go out of my way. i've lived next to some real dregs, so have done plenty of avoiding in the past so i don't get asked to give them a lift so they can buy their drugs or something.
have a neigbour i'm avoiding - she's a fruit loop and an idiot. when they bought and moved in, overheard her asking a tradie 'what's this?' 'a clothes line'.
has regular arguments with her mum who she lives with, sometimes about her baby. has never spoken with me or my partner except for one time when she was shouting at my partner about getting us to do something we have no obligation to do as a neighbour (has an issue with us parking one of our cars outside our own place...). in the process of drafting a letter to pop in her mailbox which will give her the chance to ask us nicely (instead of the one time she's spoken to any of us we're shouted at) to move the car forward a few feet.

I feel for you...this ain’t gonna end well.
She’ll pick that letter apart, analyse the hell out of it and the situation end up worse. Don’t do it bro.

What kind of high school boy doesn’t use that as a way to chat to a chick?

I say "How good is Australia?" to my neighbours Scomo style.

They all think I'm a freak and avoid me.
What happens if they say that back to you one day?

"Well one night I was in Koper and met a girl from Tallahassee, we ended up having the local food which is a sausage inside out and on chips, pretty good, pubs here should serve it. Anyway we got a train – amazing how fast they are there – to... anyway Australia isn't as good as that"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back