Social Science Do you say 'g'day' to your neighbours?

Remove this Banner Ad

I only really know the family directly opposite and next door on one side. If I saw someone in the front yard in the rest of the street, unless there were any other obvious clues, I probably wouldn't know if they lived there or not.

I don't typically initiate a keeping stride g'day or hey, but happy enough to reciprocate. It's probably like 20% of people on my way to the local shops who do this, which goes up to over 50% for some reason when I'm going for a run. And then like 75% if I'm with the kids.
When you're going for a run you're doing a '' normal '' activity '' and they see you as more positive, more approachable, less of a threat. Same thing when you're with your kids.

How dare you commit the crime of walking alone ( You could be a predator )

prediiieeeee.jpg

We have one ******* dickhead two doors down who absolutely hates us. Once HBF was taking the dog for a walk and Dickhead Neighbour was in the back corner of his garage. HBF didn't look in and see him so didn't say hi. Dickhead Neighbour cracked the s**ts and yelled out something like get f’ed. HBF responded that he hadn't seen him but he didn't believe him. After that he's been extremely hostile, to the point of yelling out at HBF MATE I GOT NO fu**EN TIME FOR YA and spitting out his car window.
Bloody Collingwood supporters.

Well I’ll tell you why; the 16 year old had a party a few months back, and the music was pumping right outside the kids bedroom. Not only was it loud, my daughter who was 3 said ‘it’s too loud’! We could also hear word for word conversations! It was 8:30, so not late, but loud enough to say turn it down a bit. I did that and asked politely.

The response was (in a text meant to be sent from the Mum to her daughter) ‘tell him to get ****ed’. I got that by mistake. Now I don’t care what time it is, I don’t need to hear bass thumping in the room furthest away from their balcony! If you’re going to have a party, let us know first.

So now, I ignore them, I couldn’t give a heck. No apology either. The mother waved once and I just ignored her. I can’t wait for the day we have to get our fence replaced.

My neighbour locked herself out 2 weeks ago . She asked if I could ring a locksmith . While she waited I invited her in and made her a cup of tea

She looked frail and forgetful.

She passed away 5 days ago.

I speak to 7/8 neighbours and the other one I hardly see.

A mentally unstable homeless guy was going through my neighbours front yard the other day so I ran out the back and yelled over the fence to them (they practically live outside, one of them bogan families that spend $$$ on big TVs and flash fridges but spend 90% of the time outside living out of an esky and the radio). They ran out the front and told him to F off then thanked me. First time I've ever really spoke to that side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I’ll tell you why; the 16 year old had a party a few months back, and the music was pumping right outside the kids bedroom. Not only was it loud, my daughter who was 3 said ‘it’s too loud’! We could also hear word for word conversations! It was 8:30, so not late, but loud enough to say turn it down a bit. I did that and asked politely.

The response was (in a text meant to be sent from the Mum to her daughter) ‘tell him to get f’ed’. I got that by mistake. Now I don’t care what time it is, I don’t need to hear bass thumping in the room furthest away from their balcony! If you’re going to have a party, let us know first.

So now, I ignore them, I couldn’t give a fu**. No apology either. The mother waved once and I just ignored her. I can’t wait for the day we have to get our fence replaced.
Well done. That text shows their true colours. Then they want to wave and pretend to be all nice.

heck em.

dont really speak to my neighbours, do give a wave to a few neighbours when i see them in the street, have spoken to the guy across the road a few times, he came over when we lost part of our carport roof and offered to help me put the roof back on

A mentally unstable homeless guy was going through my neighbours front yard the other day so I ran out the back and yelled over the fence to them (they practically live outside, one of them bogan families that spend $$$ on big TVs and flash fridges but spend 90% of the time outside living out of an esky and the radio). They ran out the front and told him to F off then thanked me. First time I've ever really spoke to that side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you noticed any Crico boxes lying around?

The response was (in a text meant to be sent from the Mum to her daughter) ‘tell him to get f’ed’. I got that by mistake. Now I don’t care what time it is, I don’t need to hear bass thumping in the room furthest away from their balcony! If you’re going to have a party, let us know first.

So now, I ignore them, I couldn’t give a fu**. No apology either. The mother waved once and I just ignored her. I can’t wait for the day we have to get our fence replaced.
8:30 on a weekend? Come on Grandpa.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Accidental text on purpose!

Also people who play loud music are dicks. There's party level music and there's turning the volume up to 11 because you can. If I listen to music or watch something on TV with the surround sound on with the volume up you can't have a conversation without yelling, but if you go outside and close the door you can barely hear a thing. How ******* loud do you need to have it that you can hear it through 3 or 4 brick walls and 20m?

Bump. I'm a bit giddy with the scenario here.

My family (married, three daughters 3-9 years old) moved into a court in January last year and we're not particularly outgoing people. But we were pretty surprised at how little we've interacted with the neighbours, barely heard boo from any of them in the first six months.

Since then we've slowly got to know a few of them: our eldest has a classmate at the local school and met another girl who's a similar age across the road and so on. But the people directly next door have proven too tough to crack.

We're not outgoing people, but in my opinion, it's a sad state of affairs when you don't have your next door neighbour's mobile number and I've tried multiple times to get the relationship just to that level. I'm not Kramer, I'd be quite happy for it to stay at that level of friendship for 30 years. Just "We're going away for two weeks, could you put our bins out?" I'd feel silly asking the people four doors up.

During Easter just gone, I actually left a little bag with some Lindts and printed out a message in a poxy Easter template in Word that basically said that "Hope you have a good break, we're going to be away for a few days. We've left our bins at the bottom of the drive, do you reckon you'd be able to put them out, if they're not already (We've checked with a few people in the street)? Here's my mobile - look forward to returning the favour!" Nothing back.

They're not neighbours from hell, but it just seems weird how antisocial the are. I couldn’t be clearer: I have no interest whatsoever in going round to theirs for dinner, or them coming here. The Dad came up to my door last year to sign a petition about funding for their kids' school and the Mum came around selling loaves of bread (??!) to fundraise for their daughter going away for some tournament, so they keep me guessing, but other than that nothing. I've given up.

Anyway, today we've had one of those chain reaction situations in the court where people have put the wrong bin out. I have a few ways of avoiding that mistake, but rule of thumb is - if the recycling bin isn't absolutely chockas, it isn't recycling bin week.

We're #5, #4 is renting and moved in before Christmas. We put an obligatory regifted token Christmas gift and card in their letter box after they moved in and have been on 'mobile phone contacts' status ever since. Sweet, perfect, couldn't be happier. And I should add, I assumed it was pretty standard when you move into a court for people to do that: we got jack s**t from our neighbours.

To cut to the chase, I'm waiting for the rubbish collection truck to arrive (usually between 1-2pm today), as I sent an SMS to #4, but of course couldn’t send anything to #6, because they've actively avoided sharing contact details with us. I hope they don't change their bin in time.

Bump. I'm a bit giddy with the scenario here.

My family (married, three daughters 3-9 years old) moved into a court in January last year and we're not particularly outgoing people. But we were pretty surprised at how little we've interacted with the neighbours, barely heard boo from any of them in the first six months.

Since then we've slowly got to know a few of them: our eldest has a classmate at the local school and met another girl who's a similar age across the road and so on. But the people directly next door have proven too tough to crack.

We're not outgoing people, but in my opinion, it's a sad state of affairs when you don't have your next door neighbour's mobile number and I've tried multiple times to get the relationship just to that level. I'm not Kramer, I'd be quite happy for it to stay at that level of friendship for 30 years. Just "We're going away for two weeks, could you put our bins out?" I'd feel silly asking the people four doors up.

During Easter just gone, I actually left a little bag with some Lindts and printed out a message in a poxy Easter template in Word that basically said that "Hope you have a good break, we're going to be away for a few days. We've left our bins at the bottom of the drive, do you reckon you'd be able to put them out, if they're not already (We've checked with a few people in the street)? Here's my mobile - look forward to returning the favour!" Nothing back.

They're not neighbours from hell, but it just seems weird how antisocial the are. I couldn’t be clearer: I have no interest whatsoever in going round to theirs for dinner, or them coming here. The Dad came up to my door last year to sign a petition about funding for their kids' school and the Mum came around selling loaves of bread (??!) to fundraise for their daughter going away for some tournament, so they keep me guessing, but other than that nothing. I've given up.

Anyway, today we've had one of those chain reaction situations in the court where people have put the wrong bin out. I have a few ways of avoiding that mistake, but rule of thumb is - if the recycling bin isn't absolutely chockas, it isn't recycling bin week.

We're #5, #4 is renting and moved in before Christmas. We put an obligatory regifted token Christmas gift and card in their letter box after they moved in and have been on 'mobile phone contacts' status ever since. Sweet, perfect, couldn't be happier. And I should add, I assumed it was pretty standard when you move into a court for people to do that: we got jack s**t from our neighbours.

To cut to the chase, I'm waiting for the rubbish collection truck to arrive (usually between 1-2pm today), as I sent an SMS to #4, but of course couldn’t send anything to #6, because they've actively avoided sharing contact details with us. I hope they don't change their bin in time.

It would appear you have a bin fetish though....

I currently live in a block of units all in a row, not ideal but just temporary. I've avoided my neighbours so far (12 units) 1 is an old sticky beek, and atleast 6 of the 12 are junkies. There's been fights, arguments and drug dealing going on not just weed either. Ive said a quick low toned g'day when absolutely unavoidable but other than that I just head down and keep walking. Happy for them to think I'm the rude guy but just don't want any of them knocking on my door.

Previous neighbours were great. The elderly lady next door used to call me once a fortnight just to talk and the elderly couple across the road would chat for ages about the latest goings on in the street. Even went back and had a coffee and a biscuit 6 months after I'd moved and they were really grateful.

I'm not particularly outgoing. In fact I have severe anxiety and am super introverted.

Still force myself to talk to my neighbours in the building though. There's about 50 apartments in my building, and I'd be on a first name basis with probably 15 of them, which is useful in getting my dog fed if I'm away for a night, and it's been useful for them getting bags/prams up the stairs when the lift is broken.

I force myself to talk to people at the dog park too. I think they're a pretty good place for people with anxiety (assuming you have a dog obviously!)

Get along fairly well with one of my neighbours now, I have my car restored so now he's always asking if I want to join his car club lol. Wasn't as keen when it was dinged up and rusty. But yeah, often talk, we asked him about his solar panels and he showed us all his paper work and phone app and bills. Very helpful.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Fair game until 10pm
Well it definitely is a line in the sand moment for neighbourly relations. We had this issue at our last place.

For a bit of context, it had originally been my wife's grandparents' house and the next door neighbours had been there since the grandparents were still there (so the families have known each other for years).

Our baby's room is along the fence line and whenever their late teen/early 20s sons had people over, they'd set up outside and blast the music and they may as well be in our living room. Or they'd set up their TV so they could watch the footy outside.

I could live with the music: what was a bit harder to swallow was them drunkenly screaming along with the lyrics, or the exaggerated "Yeeeeeeeeaaaahhhh!!!!!" for every goal during the footy (and they did this for every game. I know they're Hawthorn supporters, but if anything, they were oddly muted for Hawks games. I guess they must have been big gamblers).

Now, as far as 'calling the cops on them' they rarely did anything wrong: usually finished by 11 (often on the dot) never past midnight. But carrying on outside like that when you know us and know we have kids, when you could easily just have drinks inside, you're being c**ts as far as I'm concerned. Or you're - at the very least - showing that you don't give a rat's arse about your neighbours.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back