Does Dermott Brereton ever shut up?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yesterday when Cox took a mark for Freo

"That is the first time that a key forward for Freo has had a possession"

Given that McCarthy kicked it to Cox (last I checked McCarthy was a key forward), how does he get away with basic mistakes like that?

In all seriousness I wish someone would Mark Yates him out of the Foxtel commentary box for all Freo games, that would be terrific and greatly appreciated.

In the 90s I had OptusVision pay TV. There was a Monday night football show (can't remember the name) hosted by Dermie and Garry Lyon. Both had only recently retired and were finding their feet in the punditry business. They were excellent. How times have changed.

This happens to them all
Pav is currently quite good with his special comments but give him time to be televisioned
Ling and Carey started out as well informed knowledgeable commentators - now they are as bad as the rest
I think it's what you have to do so that you don't offend anyone and can keep your job

While he has flaws, Dermott does provide some good insight at times and is prepared to stick his neck out with strong opinions when need be.
(e.g. when Daniel Rich pulled out of a 50/50 ball versus Sydney a few weeks back)

I’d take him every day of the week over someone as bland as Alistair Lynch who has been commentating with Fox Footy for a decade and never said anything interesting ever.

Oh yes...the average 10 year old footy fan could talk about the game and be more interesting than Lynch.

Just speaks absolute mindless word drool.

Oh yes...the average 10 year old footy fan could talk about the game and be more interesting than Lynch.

He, Tony Shaw & co are brain dead.

Shame we have to put up with it.

He'd be the best commentator in the game by a country mile if he could learn to speak like a normal human being.

His football knowledge is one of the best. He just takes fifty words to say something when five would be enough.

Its funny because he does come up with some unique insights and interesting takes on things.

However when they leave his brain they appear to pass through an encryption cypher followed by a blender before spewing out of his mouth.

You can see people pause and take a few seconds to reconfigure what they've just heard into a coherent thought before responding to him.

This happens to them all
Pav is currently quite good with his special comments but give him time to be televisioned
Ling and Carey started out as well informed knowledgeable commentators - now they are as bad as the rest
I think it's what you have to do so that you don't offend anyone and can keep your job
Carey is great. Only one in the box to ever disagree with anybody.

He'd be the best commentator in the game by a country mile if he could learn to speak like a normal human being.

His football knowledge is one of the best. He just takes fifty words to say something when five would be enough.
Yeah I'm not sure about that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't mind him. Loves his big words and the sound of his own voice but he has some good opinions.

I remember him getting on Goodes' case about his tripping antics well before the booing saga. He comes up with some fairly decent thoughts at times.

As someone who relies on free to air mostly, he's far better than the likes of Ling, Richo, Basil and Hame who all just speak absolute dribble.

Loved Lynch as a player but he would be more useful just reading the scores out each qtr.

What annoys me is when a commentator comments on something in that happened in a play before a ball up but their explanation goes deep into the next passage of play. Some games i have watched have had this happen 5-6 times a quarter and the 'commentator' has missed 8 contests because he wants to discuss the philosophies of Dangerfields running. Anyway DB is a prime culprit of this.

Not sure where to post this.

On SEN this afternoon, Brereton was gushing about the talents of Aaron James and as the segment was closing, finished it off with the ole cliche "Great bloke"

Dear me Dermott... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_James_(footballer)

I don't think it is fair for Wikipedia to be used to list a persons criminal charges. But, if he wants to remain a public figure, perhaps it is unavoidable.

Big problem with Dermie is that he is insecure, and overcompensates by acting like a complete plonker.

He was out of date 15 years ago, which shows you how crap commentators are as a whole.

The mute button is his cryptonite, use it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back